It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Going Out immediately *before* the bursts of thunder! (LA county)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Explosive bursts of thunder, started like half hour ago and noticed all the lights/power in the house went out a second or two before the explosion, then comes back on.

Then, now minutes ago it happened again, first the power out and second or two later, the explosion of thunder. Explanation would greatly be appreciated.. thanks!

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.

- Solved.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aldakoopa

i would also venture that electricity conducts faster then sound.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Sounds like possible transformer explosions...

You guys are still getting nailed with nasty weather right?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I agree with Aldakoopa. The lightning likely knocked the power out before the thunder was heard.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Man.. how come they teach me lightnin travel faster thunder in 1st grade sci? =D

I kid.. but its perplexing the power goes out momentarily and comes right back on, then each time the same time with each burst of thunder(lightning)

I supposed the lightning is striking the electrical lines each time? Good aiming, God! What are you upset with, now, zeus?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The power going on and off is typical in storms.

That reminds me ! I should prep for a power outage myself. 70 kmh winds and snow here in BC.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Lightning may be causing electromagnetic pulses (EMPs)

Reverse surges cause the power to go out and on.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
If electricity builds to a high level in the transformer from energy of lightning building up on the lines, there is an overload switch sometimes. Lightning does not actually have to strike the powerlines for this to occur, it can be coming through the poles and energize the lines. It is still flowing to the sky though, like when lightning is near and your hair stands on end.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Oh, Ricky, Xuen that fully explains it - EMP bursts!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

gardener
Explosive bursts of thunder, started like half hour ago and noticed all the lights/power in the house went out a second or two before the explosion, then comes back on.

Thunder is not explosive; neither is lightning for that matter. Most likely lightning struck and caused a brief spike in current that caused the flicker to occur. Since the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound, that is probably what you are experiencing and not noticing.

The lightning doesn't have to be close to cause such problems in electricity and it could be you didn't see it.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Is anyone else in the area? This thunder sounds more like dumpsters being dropped from the sky and crashing into the ground.

Theres no crackle and roar to it, just loud booms/'explosions'

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
They didn't get to teach me that in school. I missed that class out rock-n-rolling.

But Bob Segar helped fill that gap in physics....remember that song?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
What song? I only remember what Mr Wizard would show us on ole' Nick

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Ages ranges established (hint, I'm old, you young). Not remembering the song a big clue, it was one of those playlist songs / title track, after Live Bullett, and on an LP (vinyl). The hint being that you see the flash of lightning, then you be 'waiting on the thunder'.

Name that tune!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

gardener
Man.. how come they teach me lightnin travel faster thunder in 1st grade sci? =D

I kid.. but its perplexing the power goes out momentarily and comes right back on, then each time the same time with each burst of thunder(lightning)

I supposed the lightning is striking the electrical lines each time? Good aiming, God! What are you upset with, now, zeus?

Now that one is a more interesting question with less of the obvious answer (i.e. not deserving of questions about your education).

In power transmission classes, I learn that most substations will have the primary breakers, and a first and secondary backup, so when lightning blows thru the primary, a short delay before the secondary kicks in. Then the first secondary blows thru by another lightning strike, and the backup secondary blows thru.

If neither the primary or first secondary are repaired before the third lightning strike, the power does not return.

It was funny the night he taught this, a severe lightning storm was coming thru, so he was able to go thru the counts, twice he stated 'wait' in the dark...the third he wasted not a second saying 'class dismissed'.
edit on 1-3-2014 by lakesidepark because: (no reason given)

top topics

join