It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran blames flow of drugs on Britain, U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Iran's police blamed Britain and the United States for bumper poppy crops in Afghanistan that are inflaming social problems in the Islamic Republic where more than 2 million people are drug addicts.

Iranian forces marked the U.N. International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking in Tehran on Saturday by blowing up a huge mound of seized drugs topped with a picture of a bat-like monster with blood-red eyes.

They chanted "Death to America" as the contraband exploded.

www.cnn.com...

Why does this not suprise? We heard no complaints when their fellow Muslims, the Taliban, directed the drug trade.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   
some nerve, seeing as how a lot of the drugs reach the west via iran.

in fairness though, poppy growing has soared since the taliban. the taliban believe it or not were very strict about drug growing.

Opium growing doubles in Northern Alliance zones

-koji K.

[edit on 27-6-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
geez, who didn't have problems with the Taliban. If you wanted to complain about the Taliban, and everything coming out of Iran, the news would be plugged up it all day...

It's interesting though that the US doesn't take a hands-on role to the drug problem, like burning it...just a thought

Why do they have to say death to america though, I mean cmon, some of us aren't that bad. I actually wouldn't mind traveling through the middle east to asia, but I would stick out so bad...Maybe the could confuse me for someone from another country, but I doubt it would matter where I was from for a few people in the Middle East.

[edit on 27-6-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Exactly. When I first heard of the Middle East, it was in the context of all the great knowledge aquired, guarded, and distributed the Ottoman empire. Advances in math, engineering, architecture, and science; not to mention their tolerance of others' religious faiths.

Who wouldn't want to directly experience the land that safeguarded our collective knowledge of the time.

But we'd be crazy to travel there now. I like my head where its at.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
However, good point on our hands-off approach to the drug crop.

Do you think the U.S. and the U.K. are benefiting from the drug money?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The CIA has been known to be involved in drug running in the past, so I wouldn't put it past them to be benefiting now. The money would definitely help out with our enormous deficit.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There is more to the CIA's involement in drugs, particularly cocain, than money.
Anyone ever notice during times of social unrest drugs become more easily available?
Another form of control IMHO.

top topics

join