It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retailers back call for hijab ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Retailers back call for hijab ban

www.news.com.au

A RADIO announcer's call for a ban on Islamic hijabs has been backed by the National Retailers Association.

The peak national body has called for all hijabs, helmets and hoodies to be banned in shops and banks for security purposes.

Brisbane radio presenter Michael Smith angered listeners after calling for Muslim women who wear a hijab to be fined.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
A while ago, I posted a Breaking News thread about a shopping centre that wanted to ban people wearing hoodies. They alleged that the hoodies promoted gang culture, theft and hidden identity, bah blah...

In that thread, it was mentioned that Muslims are permitted to wear their hijabs.

Well, here's the challenge thrown down to the Muslim dress code. How will it fare?

I don't agree with it. As much as I think that it is a stupid way to dress yourself. I don't agree that they should be told not to wear it. Let them wear it and have people stare at them, it's a better response than giving them fines! Nothing makes you look more ridiculous, or segregated by wearing one of those hijabs or burkas.

As for security... it's another ploy to deny our rights so that we feel 'safe'.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-1-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Here's the Hoodie Thread, that was kind of like a precursor to this thread.

Another quote from the news article:

Retailers association executive director Scott Driscoll said it had been a long accepted practice to require customers to remove helmets and other identity obscuring headwear when entering a shop or bank.

"Retailers should not have to fear any form of retribution or backlash for requiring the removal of any obscuring headwear, including hijabs, as a condition of entry,'' Mr Driscoll said.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
How does a hijab pose a security risk?

What are they going to ban next? Wigs? Sunglasses? Mustaches or beards?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
While I agree that it wouldn't be fair just to keep muslims from wearing their traditional clothing, they are banning all hats and such so its only fair. I don't like it, but I understand why stores want to do this. It's not discriminatory, its for security purposes only. You aren't exposed to direct sunlight inside of a store anyway, so maybe you could just take off your hat. I don't wear hats myself so I'm not sure if this really offends hat-wearers, but in the end its the store-owner's property and his say is final.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Let them wear it and have people stare at them, it's a better response than giving them fines!
[edit on 14-1-2009 by tezzajw]

OR....and here's an idea...you could just let them wear it.
Why should people be encouraged to stare at them?
You do realise the hijab is a head covering and not the whole face thing?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by geek101
You do realise the hijab is a head covering and not the whole face thing?

Yeah, I know that. I was also making comments with the burkas in mind as well. Forgive me if I only typed the word hijab, as I meant both.

Two days ago in Melbourne, it was 38 degrees celcius. If I saw anyone wearing a burka in that kind of heat, I would look at them and wonder what they hell they were thinking! Wearing any clothes at all on a 38 degree day is silly! Does devotion to one's god also demand that you're smelly and sweaty?

As for the security issue, that's completely fabricated. They don't want any of us to wear hats, headware or hijabs, so we can avoid saying "cheese" to the security cameras.

When facial recognition is developed enough and local security cameras are wireless fed into government control centres, anyone will be easy to spot. Screw their security and control measures.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

ok, i can see that now. I personally hate the burkha and i agree with your post.
I don't see the point in it but i'm not sure if it should be banned. Saying the burkha is a security risk and lets ban it, seems a bit lazy to me. Most robbers i've seen wear ski masks or masks. Fair enough to ban them, but until we see a massive rise of robbers struggling to rob places with the cumbersome burkha all over their bodies....well, i don't see the point.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I don’t know how this would stop crime.

Guns are already banned in banks – they still get used though!

Mikey

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah

Not next. As I put in the other thread, sunglasses are already banned in banks here in NZ. And most of those banks are actually owned by Australian corporations, so it it's not applied there yet, I wouldn't imagine that it will take long.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostbug
Not next. As I put in the other thread, sunglasses are already banned in banks here in NZ.

Poor you. It must be easier to kick around the Kiwis as test subjets. No doubt, they'll take the idea across the Tasman Sea and apply it in our banks too.

I noticed that one of my local Commonwealth Banks kind of reduced the queue space for the tellers. It's almost like they don't want customers using the tellers at all.

Bringing in stupid security rules like no sunglasses will only make them less popular.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
How does a hijab pose a security risk?

No Offense but if you wear a wig, and hoodie and some sun glasses and a mustache in a bank, you should probably not be there lol. I would start towards the door if ya walked in like that

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Good Evening,

I have to admit, that I really agree with the banning of headgear within a retailers establishment. I don't agree that there are cameras everywhere, until I see a cop pull me over, then I really hope there are cameras everywhere. However thats not really the point.

When you visit any retailer, they always have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason they deem necessary. It might be because your drunk, belligerent, rude or other. Regardless of their reasoning, they should have the right to refuse service if they feel unsafe, or threatened in any way. Even if it's some phobia against "blue ties", it's still their right to decide who they will offer their services to.

Thanks for reading.
..Ex

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
On the topic of the laws retailers have to stop crime, one thing I really hate here in Australia is that in every store (big and small stores) it is a condition of entry that you MUST present and open your bag for inspection when leaving. This includes every type of bag, backpacks, handbags etc etc.

In every country I have been to Australia is the only country I have seen it in. Basically they are treating every customer as a thief.

Mikey

[edit on 15/1/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

On the topic of the laws retailers have to stop crime, one thing I really hate here in Australia is that in every store (big and small stores) it is a condition of entry that you MUST present and open your bag for inspection when leaving. This includes every type of bag, backpacks, handbags etc etc.

In every country I have been to Australia is the only country I have seen it in. Basically they are treating every customer as a thief.

Mikey

That's because there's Aboriginals in Australia, and they're well known for spending all day long stealing from shops. Of course they can't just ask to search Aboriginals bags, because that would be racial profiling. So they have to ask everyone. If you're a fairly respectable looking person it's just a formality and they barely look anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cthulwho
That's because there's Aboriginals in Australia, and they're well known for spending all day long stealing from shops.

Whoa. You're not even trying to hide your racist comment there. Unreal. I can't believe that you would so blatantly type such a false statement about aboriginies.

Of course they can't just ask to search Aboriginals bags, because that would be racial profiling. So they have to ask everyone. If you're a fairly respectable looking person it's just a formality and they barely look anyway.

It's hardly a formality with the bag searching. I get arsehole store security going through my possessions all of the time. I'm a deliberate arsehole back to them, to see how far they'll take it. I'm waiting for one of them to step out of line, maybe there's a lawsuit to be won?

Wearing a heavy metal t-shirt guarantees that you'll be looked over by security.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
If one has nothing to hide then they shouldn't mind the security procedures, if they do then they have the choice to shop elsewhere. The money it costs retailers every year due to theives is ultimatley passed on to the consumer, so if they want to tighten the reignes on security to stop shoplifting then so be it I don't mind.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
If one has nothing to hide then they shouldn't mind the security procedures, if they do then they have the choice to shop elsewhere. The money it costs retailers every year due to theives is ultimatley passed on to the consumer, so if they want to tighten the reignes on security to stop shoplifting then so be it I don't mind.

I have nothing to hide, but I don't want some person at the door going through my backpack either.

Choice to shop somewhere else? No, it's a condition of entry in every store over here.

I usualy just walk out with my bag on my back and ignore them, legally they cannot touch you or put a finger on you - just keep walking.

Mikey

[edit on 15/1/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
If one has nothing to hide then they shouldn't mind the security procedures,

Ah-huh.

Why are there people, in every third thread on ATS, that peddle this NWO catch-phrase, regardless of the topic?

It's playing right into their hands.

new topics

top topics

join