It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Gadget Keeps Record of Your Life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Thu Mar 4,12:16 PM ET

By ALLISON LINN, AP Business Writer

REDMOND, Wash. - SenseCam, touted as a visual diary of sorts by Microsoft Corp., is designed to be worn around the neck and take up to 2,000 images a 12-hour day automatically.

Link

Am I the only one that thinks that this is not a good idea. It seems microsoft comes up with more ways to keep track of you!!!! Hello New World Order

Edit: Sorry Mods can you move this to science and technology. thanx

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by DaTruth]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
..sounds like a nice idea to me...its just a camera.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
What I would like to know is who has the time to sort through all that information?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm starting to believe that Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I could do with one of those - I'm always losing my keys !

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
i live in NYC and i take the subway home...I ALWAYS LOSE MY GOD DAMN METROCARD (the card you use to ride the subway)....dammit i always forget to do my homework too....

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek

Yes its just a camera now..... wait just a little while and it will be inbedded with a GPS tracker to let you know exactly where you where when the picture was taken.

It will automatically connect to the web and upload your position and picture to the net.

It will read your biometrics and record them

It will contain all your banking and credit card information for quick retreval.

It will record your conversations and upload them in MP3 format
to the web.

Just wait this is just the first itteration.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal

Originally posted by Shoktek

Yes its just a camera now..... wait just a little while and it will be inbedded with a GPS tracker to let you know exactly where you where when the picture was taken.

It will automatically connect to the web and upload your position and picture to the net.

It will contain all your banking and credit card information for quick retreval.

to the web.

Well right now it IS just a camera.

jra

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
heh... i doubt it would be uploading pics to some place. If it were satillite or a cellular conenction, the transfer would be super slow and rather pointless. I don't like MS, but i doubt this would become a way to track people.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I really have no idea why I would want that. I've already got a camera phone and a DV camera...exactly how much of my mundane everyday life needs to be recorded? granted, I could take pictures of stuff I see and show it to my friends...oh wait, camera phone again. as for the keys, get one of those little key rack thingies by the door...you'll never lose 'em again

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LqdCID
I'm starting to believe that Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ.

I think I'm with you. He has the whole world dependent on his technology.

Originally posted by BlackJackal

to the web.

That was exactly my point. This is just a precursor of what's to come.....

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Just have to comment here. I was an executive for Microsoft for 12 years (recently retired) and if they are truly trying to take over the world or Bill is the anti-christ well..

You have NOTHING to worry about. Having been in so many meetings and discussions about technology and it uses I can tell you they are like most corporations, very unorganized and reactive to the will of the people. Case in point, the internet. I was in the meeting where it was decided nothing big was going to happen and then the meeting months later where we all had to pull our heads out of our asses and get involved. Microsoft will run a program with tons of money behind it for years and then suddenly drop it if a new director even suggest it is not working. I think most people think there are these intensive think tank meetings where taking over the world is discussed but in reality most of the big innovations occur in a small windowless office (welcome to being an executive at MS) with just an idea from one person having tons of cash thrown behind it.

Now do they have too much market share, yes. No doubt they need competition, but they want it as well, keeps them innovative.

Just my .02

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
sorry one more thing. Will this device be big?

Here are some other HUGE investments into the consumer market by Microsoft. Does anyone even remember them?

1. Windows Sound System (supposed to eliminate the keyboard)
2. Cordless phone w/pc connetivity (did not last as long as the first battery charge)
3. All purpose remote control (supposed to link PC to all your elecronics, failed)
4. Microsoft Speaker system (another failure to link PC to entertainment environment)

I know there are others somewhere in my garage, they are in boxes along with all the crazy versions of Windows my group had to deal with every year from 1991-1999, many of which were supposed to change the earth, but in reality just cost too much money...

I expect this device will be out and gone within a year. The only real device that has taken well is the Xbox and that is because it was outsourced from day one, really not done by MS staff just a few, mostly from contractors.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
But it will actually be recording the lives of everyone else around you as well. wouldn't that be invasion of their privacy?
I suppose that it would be a good tool for those with short term memory loss,

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
But it will actually be recording the lives of everyone else around you as well. wouldn't that be invasion of their privacy?
I suppose that it would be a good tool for those with short term memory loss,

If you're in a public place, your legal expectation of privacy is greatly reduced. After all, anybody can walk around with a cam-corder.

It's also not like anybody is forcing you to buy one of these. It's a gadget, nothing more.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
In my mind, there is absolutly no doubt that, when "something" will finally (or officially) impose a New World Order uppon us all, this "something" (or this entity) will walk hand in hand with Microsoft.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Since this is a near and dear to my heart topic (especially considering the huge amount of stock I still have in Microsoft) I will say that if Microsoft still exsist in 5 years it will be a miracle. Most likely Gates will retire within 2 years and the company will be split. We operated for years under that assumption, not that it is a given but trust me the way the company was re-organized in 1995 and then again in 1998 it was setting the stage to sell off each component to seperate companies. Most execs are millionairs several times over and unlike other companies there are millionairs throughout the company in positions such as tech support. With a sale of pieces solidifying these folks financial gains it will make such a sale much easier.

This is my opinion but I do have some background on it and feel this is the "end event" coming for MS.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTruth
Thu Mar 4,12:16 PM ET

Am I the only one that thinks that this is not a good idea. It seems microsoft comes up with more ways to keep track of you!!!! Hello New World Order

I think it's a brilliant idea on the part of technology experts, but this type of device could also further de-evolve the natural memory processes of humans. Relying on something to take pictures for us, so just in case we forget something from the past, will stunt our natural thinking process to remember, making us mindlessly lazy and dependent on this type of technology.

This also has the potential to further enable computers to 'predict' the actions and intentions of humans who wear such devices, providing greater marketing schemes for the corporation.

Last, but not least, it can invade personal privacy. It is like having someone by your shoulder watching everything that you do.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think we should consider ourselves very lucky that "NativeOkie" is with us.

Look forward to reading more of your posts, our kid!

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
I really have no idea why I would want that. I've already got a camera phone and a DV camera...exactly how much of my mundane everyday life needs to be recorded? granted, I could take pictures of stuff I see and show it to my friends...oh wait, camera phone again. as for the keys, get one of those little key rack thingies by the door...you'll never lose 'em again

I agree, who WOULD want that? I agree that this might be some preliminary warning of things to come. Let's just say that this IS meant for tracking everyone and watching your every move. But they would need a cover excuse to why you would want to buy it, or why it's a good idea or how it would help you. I just don't see any purpose for it. Sounds like a stupid idea, which says to me that it probably IS for "other" reasons. I mean, why not just use a video camcorder if you want to capture something? We already have those to help us with that. And oh, the thing about around the neck is a little spooky if you think about it. Can you say pets?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join