It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chupacabra (aka goatsucker)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Has anyone besides me ever heard of this beast? Its similar to bigfoot and the lochness monster, seen be many but not proven to exist.

Origanating in Puerta Rico, the Chupacabra (goat sucker in spanish) has expanded its terrorizing to most of Central America. It is said to be 4 to 5 ft. tall, large eyes, reptillion like, green, has a mosquito like tongue and has fantastic running and jumping abilities. It usally kills small animals like chickens and rabbits by sucking out their blood. The 'animal's' tongue has been said to have surgical percision, it usally goes in at the base of the neck and basically turns the insides into swiss cheese. It then sucks them dry, no blood is found at the areas attacked. The chupacabra however hasn't reportedly attacked humans but has been claimed responsible for killing many goats and even a 1600 pound bull and is commonly seen jumping from roof top to roof top through villages at night. People are much divided in its origins. Some people say its an alien, some a government project, others and alien's pet of some sort. Interestingly enough, the US has a large secret base in Puerta Rico in the mountains near the origin of the sightings. I don't know how many of them there are. I saw a show on TLC a while back about this and found it very interesting so i decided to bounce it off you guys.

Here are some cool links:
www.cralcrusade.50g.com...
www.mysteries-megasite.com...
paranormal.about.com...
tlc.discovery.com...
www.mcseinfo.com...
www.oftm.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2002 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Because I collect books of legends and folktales, I'm aware of it. But... did you know there are TWO versions of the legend?

Your version seems to originate from incidents in 1975, though I find pages citing attacks back to the 1960's... but not before then:
www.meta-religion.com...

Another (older?) story that I can't find my source on was a legend that it's mostly invisible, it follows you on lonely roads, and when the sound of its wailing is loud it is very far away from you. When the sound of its voice gets soft and the place around you is silent, that's when the Chupacabra attacks.

Alas, can't find my source, though. Lots of good research out there on Chupas. Some of it points to humans doing it, some points to dogs/wolves. Some (a very FEW instances) point to another source.

Personal opinion? The stories of 'half-lizard', hopping around on roofs, etc, are just that: stories. Historic folklore and myths (Mayan. Aztec, Toltec, etc) doesn't mention it, though they mention lots of other animals. The indigenous peoples were niether stupid nor blind and if something had been around, they would have noticed it and developed stories warning about it or methods of hunting it.

However, there's a lot of areas we haven't explored in the jungles and mountains yet and they might indeed find a new carnivore out there who is getting fat and sassy devouring pets and domesitc animals.

If it turns up, I will bet that it's a general variation on animals we know (i.e., relative of the jaguar or wolf) rather than something the like of which we've never seen before (like the duckbilled platypus)

posted on Dec, 19 2002 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Once I spent one week in the mountains of Puerto Rico with school. And I didn't see one chupa. There was a horse there who lost his marbles... Maybe he saw the chupa...

posted on Dec, 19 2002 @ 05:10 PM
link   
descriptions of chupacabras as aliens, including some descriptions that are extremely "grey-like" but with red eyes instead of black. I too saw that special that was mentioned (as well as a couple others about it). I used to frequent some paranormal sites (a couple years back) that even claimed (with photos) of finding skulls, bones, etc. but I never saw any scientific corraboration of these. Interesting phenomenon, especially when described the same by a large group of schoolkids, etc.

posted on Dec, 19 2002 @ 09:31 PM
link   
ive heard of the chupacabra looks like it went international because its also been sighted in Mexico, Some parts of SUoth America and southern US and i read an article about a sighting of something that may have been a chupacabra in INdia.

by the way theres no such thing as an american bigfoot....theres a yowie, a yeti, etc but no amercian bigfoot turns out it was a guy in a monkey suit fooling everyone, he died recently and his family revealed the secret. Theres an article somehere about it on www.paranormalnews.com in the cryptozoology section

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Then why do the native americans have old stories about the sasquatch?? Stories that are centuries old??

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Just because one guy (even though he was the one who started the whole craze) is a hoax, it doesn't mean the rest are as well. However, I think that the Sasquatch did exist in North America, but has since gone the way of the do-do... That is why they exist in folklore, because at the time, they likely did exist, but were still rare even then.

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I never said that the others are a hoax i was just talking about that one "bigfoot" i agree with you about the rest

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 05:15 PM
link   
www.cleveland.com.../base/news/1039171077304090.xml or just www.cleveland.com.../base/news/1039171077304090.xml" target="_blank" class="postlink">click here

posted on Dec, 23 2002 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thanks

posted on Dec, 27 2002 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Batman-man, you are a dumbass. "by the way theres no such thing as an american bigfoot....theres a yowie, a yeti, etc but no amercian bigfoot turns out it was a guy in a monkey suit fooling everyone" So you're telling me that ONE FREAKIN' PERSON was responsible for 30-40 years of bigfoot sightings in North America? Please tell me you were drunk or something when you posted that.

posted on Dec, 27 2002 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Well I Live in Puerto Rico so I know the stories pretty well. Over here in the mid-90's there was a wave of sightings and incidents all over the island connected to the Chupacabra. There were sometimes 2 or 3 a week and they were reported on tv news and on the newspapers. There were a lot of incidents of cattle mutilations at the same time conected to the Chupacabra.

Theories that were being thrown around are the following:
1) An unknown species of reptile not yet discovered.
2) The US has an Army Research Facility that is hidden in the mountain called "EL Yunque". They supposedly do all kinds of genetic experiments on animals. After one of the big hurricanes we had here the facility was damaged and a couple of the specimens got away.
3) It's UFO related. Seems to be one the most popular theories because of the cattle mutilations.

As for theory #2 I know for a fact that the US has a base of some kind in the Yunque Mountain range because I went on a trip over there with a couple of my friends to check it out in 1998. We interviewed some of the people who work there and many of them told us that they have seen military activity on the area at night but they were told not to talk about it. One of them showed me one of the roads leading up to the facility which is hidden from public view. Only a handful of people who work there know it exists. What kind research they do there I can't say for sure because I don't really know. All I've heard are the rumors.

posted on Dec, 27 2002 @ 10:11 AM
link   
BSP, the problem with conspiracy and cryptozoology and UFOs is that there's a LOT of hoaxers out there. We found some recent reports of sightings in Texas that were pretty obvious fakes.

These are not the only obvious fakes around that are passed on as real sightings.

As to American Indian sightings -- nope. Sasquatch is a spirit... not described as an animal per se (like badger or coyote. I collect folk tales (one of my sidelines is professional storyteller) and have a good library of Indian legends.) It is not an important figure in ANY AmerInd mythology, is not depicted on totem poles, is not a deity, and ... well... nothing like it exists in any of the oldest collections.

So there's really not a good case for the American Indians knowing about it.

There aren't any reports of cowboys with Sasquatch here in Texas (the best sources are the J. Frank Dobie colletions and there aren't any in there. Lots of interesting rattlesnake tales, though.)

I'm not sure that a real scholarly search has been done on it, but if and when it's done I think you're going to find a whole lot of hoaxes and a tiny set of samples to study.

posted on Dec, 27 2002 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Hey, Ocelot..

What do you know about a base on an island (belonging to PR) in between PR and the virgin islands???

posted on Dec, 27 2002 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think the one you are referring to is U.S. Naval Station Roosevelt Roads which is located at the eastern edge of Puerto Rico. Here is a Brief history of the base:

U.S. Naval Station Roosevelt Roads is located at the eastern edge of Puerto Rico. Its land mass consists of 31,000 acres: 8,600 acres on the island of Puerto Rico and 22,400 acres on Vieques Island, seven and one half miles Southeast of the main station. President Franklin Roosevelt ordered the construction of the facility in 1940. It was completed in 1943 and Roosevelt Roads was commissioned as a U.S. Naval Operations Base. It served as both a training facility and base for Navy ships and aircraft during Word War II.

For several years after the war, Roosevelt Roads languished and was closed down seven different times. Then in 1955, as Cold War tensions increased, Roosevelt Roads became the site for the establishment of the Atlantic Fleet Guided Missile Training Center, now known as Atlantic Fleet Weapons Training Facility, and was redesignated as Roosevelt Roads in 1957, consisting of an airfield, Surface Operations and an industrial complex.

The initial build-up and expansion of Roosevelt Roads included the acquisition of the Army's Fort Bundy, which now comprises the Southern portion of the naval station.

Today, Roosevelt Roads role is training and service to the fleet. In addition to the 17 NAVSTA departments, there are 24 tenant commands, including the following: Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command (COMUSNAVSO), Commander Special Operations Command, South (SOCSOUTH), Atlantic Fleet Weapons Training Facility (AFWTF), U.S. Naval Hospital, U.S. Naval Dental Center, Fleet Composite Squadron EIGHT (VC-8), U.S. Naval Computer and Telecommunications Station (NAVCOMTELSTA), Naval Special Warfare Unit FOUR (NSWU-4), Personal Support Activity Detachment (PSD), Resident Officer in Charge of Construction (ROICC), U.S. Naval Atlantic Meteorology Oceanography Detachment, Naval Media Center, Naval Legal Services Office (NLSO), Mobile Diving Salvage Unit TWO Detachment, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD), U.S. Army Reserve Center, U.S. Naval Reserve Center, U.S. Marine Reserve Center, USCG Patrol Boat Support Detachment. Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) and Antilles Consolidated Schools.

Naval Station Roosevelt Roads has an 11,000-foot runway, nine piers, a water treatment plant, four sewage treatment plants, 110 miles of road, 42 miles of oceanfront, 1,340 buildings and approximately 194,000 square miles of ocean for naval exercises. Over 250,000 visitors annually benefit from Roosevelt Roads military and natural assets.

Although there aren't any Navy ships homeported at Roosevelt Roads, up to 1,000 military (U.S., foreign and NATO) and maritime ships use the facilities and ranges at Roosevelt Roads annually.

Roosevelt Roads is the largest naval station in the world (by land mass). Roosevelt Roads supports over 17,000 people including: 3,000 active duty military, 2,500 family members, 3,850 civilian employees and over 7,990 retired military. Naval Station Roosevelt Roads contributes an estimated $250 million per year to the economy of Puerto Rico.

I hope this answers your question.

posted on Jan, 2 2003 @ 10:45 PM
link   
"So you're telling me that ONE FREAKIN' PERSON was responsible for 30-40 years of bigfoot sightings in North America? Please tell me you were drunk or something when you posted that."

of course BSP, i was drunk of my ass and started dreaming of guys in monkey suits and all of a sudden decided that the Bigfoot was all a hoax w/o no evidence whatsoever.
umm helooo? did you visit the link?? did you read it??
it said:
"The fact is there was no Bigfoot in popular consciousness before 1958. America got its own monster, its own Abominable Snowman, thanks to Ray Wallace," Mark Chorvinsky, editor of Strange magazine, told The Seattle Times."

and then in the beginning of the article

"Seattle - The man who used 16-inch feet-shaped carvings to create tracks that ignited the "Bigfoot" legend has died. He was 84.

Ray Wallace's family admitted his role in the creature myth after his death Nov. 26 from heart failure."

im sure theres at least 30-40 years between 1958 and Nov 26, 2002

why dont you try visiting the link again
www.cleveland.com.../base/news/1039171077304090.xml

posted on Jan, 3 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Im not even going to go into my extensive knowledge of the chupacabra with you guys cuz im way to lazy. But, I can tell you that you should listen to Ocelot, she/he (sorry, I don't know which you are Ocelot), obviously knows alot. If you want a specific question answered, ask me, or somebody else.

posted on Jan, 5 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Parascope (www.parascope.com...) had a whole cryptozoology section with the chupa as a main attraction. But for the past year or so, their site has been down...I am awaiting their return

--ANDY

posted on Feb, 19 2003 @ 02:52 AM
link   
what happened to parascope.com?

that site was awsome.

posted on Feb, 19 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
That site has been down since last year. Supposedly it was being re-designed, but it has been many many months and still nothing. It's a shame because it was a pretty good site.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join