It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mig-I 2000

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 01:19 AM
link   

There is not much on this aircraft.

I started this post to see if anyone has anymore info about it.

only info i found on Mig-I 2000

In early 2002 Sukhoi was chosen as prime contractor for the planned Russian fifth-generation fighter is called the PAK FA [ Perspektivnyi Aviatsionnyi Kompleks Frontovoi Aviatsyi - Future Air Complex for Tactical Air Forces]. This intermediate class twin-engined fighter will be larger than a MiG-29 and smaller than a Su-27. The new fighter is intended to be about the same size as the US F-35 JSF, with a primary air superiority mission and ground attack and reconnaissance being secondary missions.

The aircraft will feature a long combat radius, supersonic cruise speed, low radar cross section, supermaneuverability, and the ability to make short takeoffs and landings. In accordance with the technical requirements, the PAK FA will have a normal takeoff weight of 20 tons, which is close to the average normal takeoff weight of the two American airplanes, the F-35 JSF (17.2 tons) and the F-22 (24 tons). The new fighter (a medium version) will have a traditional wing form, though the experience gathered as a result of Berkut's test flights will be taken in consideration when designing the fighter. It is supposed that it will be created using the Stealth technology, and equipped with two AL-41F engines by the Saturn scientific and industrial enterprise, a radar system with an active phased array (to all appearances, it will be produced by the Fazatron-NIIR corporation), and high-precision weapons.......

oh yeah also I found this page but I couldnt read it!

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Looks like a photoshopped picture of a YF-23 to me.

The wings are changes slightly but the back end looks almost identical.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
Looks like a photoshopped picture of a YF-23 to me.

The wings are changes slightly but the back end looks almost identical.

sure deos!

i guess US dropped it and Russia saw a very good chance.

But thats just a model so i dont know if Mig-I 2000 will look like that.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Maybe some of the engineers at Northrop or McDonnell Douglas got pissed their idea wasn't chosen and sold the plans to the Russians.

Its a shame the YF-23 won't be produced, such an awesome jet and the only 2 are sitting in storage at Edwards Airforce base.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
Maybe some of the engineers at Northrop or McDonnell Douglas got pissed their idea wasn't chosen and sold the plans to the Russians.

Its a shame the YF-23 won't be produced, such an awesome jet and the only 2 are sitting in storage at Edwards Airforce base.

The mig does look differnet though.

look at it.

its more smooth

more probably stealth.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Yeah, the area behind the cockpit running back to the engines is one dome, where as on the 23 there are bumps for the engines. It looks like the drawing doesn't have enough room for the engines to fit in there, particularly on the picture where you see 2 of them in the same drawing. The square engine outlets also look a lot like the YF-23. I thought the Russians preferred round outlets for their thrust vectoring, I guess they could change.

As for more stealthy, I couldn't say. I thought the YF-23 was more stealthy than the F-22, but they went with the F-22 because it was more maneuverable and slightly lower cost.

For now, it is just an artist conception, it could be close to what the real one would look like, but who is to say.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 07:46 AM
link   
its just concept art of the mig-lfi, here is the iran shafagh stealth aircraft: (maybe it will be something like this)

they are making it with MIG

i guess we will find out more in MAKS-2005

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by SectorGaza]

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by SectorGaza]

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Pffft it's a ufo with a few bits sticking out the side , back and front to make it look like a plane

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Thats a 'nice' mock-up of the Iranian/Russian "Shafagh" two-seat trainer.
Iran is going to need all the help they can get.

The PAK-FA project or Project Intregal or Project 701, etc. deal with India:

"18 March INDIA AND RUSSIA PLAN FOR THEIR STATE-OWNED INDUSTRIES TO COLLABORATE ON MAJOR WEAPON PROJECTS. The potential value of the 15-year collaboration could be as high as $15 bn. Russia sold India $4.4 bn worth of arms in 2001. The partnership will promote joint development and production of fifth-generation tactical aircraft, Amur-class submarines, multi-role transport planes, minesweepers, and hovercraft. Modernization of Soviet era air defense systems deployed by the Indian Army and Air Force is also planned. [Vivek Raghuvanshi-New Delhi in Defense News 18.03.02]"
Link:
www.idds.org...

There are a variety of conflicting 'reports' on the PAK-FA and its probablity of being produced beyond technology demonstrator or prototype:
"Despite this, however, the decision is a serious blow for MiG, leaving it without a future fighter program. In the mid-1980s the company had defeated Sukhoi in winning the competition for a twin-engine heavy multi-role tactical fighter, the MFI (Mnogofunktionalniy Frontovoi Istribitel) program, intended to succeed the Flanker. MiG eventually flew the prototype, dubbed the Article 1.44, in April 2000, but the program proved unsustainable.

The timetable for the PAK FA is highly ambitious. A draft design of the aircraft is to be established by the end of 2002, with first flight of a prototype in 2006, with production beginning in 2010."

Link:
www.aviationnow.com...

And then on top that, Russia, later the same year as the above mentioned information was given, decided to "delay" the program and then seek rejuvinating the "program" by doing a joint venture with India on it, according to this article from the Moscow Times, dated 03/2002:
Article:
"Russia's major aircraft makers were left in suspense this week after the military delayed its decision on a tender to build the country's next-generation fighter jet.

Air force officials earlier this week met with the Sukhoi, MiG and Yakovlev aircraft companies, which submitted proposals on manufacturing the jet, but no decision was made, an air force spokesman said.

Russia is planning to build a new-generation jet in response to the U.S. Joint Strike Fighter, which is expected to test fly later this decade.

The air force handed the "tactical and technical task" to build a fifth-generation fighter to the companies last summer, and former air force commander Anatoly Kornukov in January signed off on a tender commission to consider proposals from the aircraft companies.

Both Defense Ministry officials and Industry, Science and Technology Minister Ilya Klebanov, previously the deputy prime minister in charge of defense, have said that the winner for the $1.5 billion fighter development project would be named in the first quarter.

Representatives of a tender commission toured the companies in February as part of the decision-making process.

But new air force chief Vladimir Mikhailov, appointed in January, has decided there is no need to rush the tender and that questions remain for the competing companies, the air force spokesman said.

Some industry players and analysts have questioned the need for the next-generation fighter -- a project spearheaded by MiG and Sukhoi -- saying that the financing schemes for the project are unclear.

Klebanov has suggested using the winning company's export revenues in addition to state financing to develop the fighter. But the companies themselves say they badly need those revenues for their own support and development.

India -- expected to be the fighter's main foreign buyer -- also is expected to participate in the project's financing.

During a visit to the Indian capital, New Delhi, last month, Klebanov signed a protocol with Indian Defense Minister George Fernandes on cooperation in the aviation sector, including development of the fifth-generation fighter.

Defense experts say it may be more worthwhile to concentrate money and efforts on modernizing the country's existing fleet of fighters, a program already under way.

Marat Kenzhetayev, an expert with the Center for Arms Control, said the defense industry could upgrade radar, avionics and navigation systems on MiG-29s and Su-27/30s -- leaping over the fifth-generation jet to develop a sixth-generation craft.

Konstantin Makiyenko, deputy head of the Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies, said that "the upgraded fleet of Sukhois and MiGs can last the air force at least another decade."

However, "the fifth-generation fighter is important as a national program to preserve the design school in the country," Makiyenko said, adding that the jet "is important as a project that helps increase financing of research and development in the high-tech sector."

Link:
www.moscowtimes.ru...

The costs alone in financing this project, not counting Russian government production estimates, leave this program in serious "limbo".....:
"The prices and sources of funding will determine the destiny of the whole program. To date officials agree that the program will cost $1.5 billion. However, $1.5 billion is the sum needed for creating a new generation of avionics for the fighter (considering the fact that pre-production models of the phased array have already been produced, and will soon be tested). Completion of the AL-41F engine (present readiness is 30 percent) will require, in the opinion of the boss of Rosaviakosmos, 600 - 800 million dollars. Saturn said that launching of production of the AL-41F engine would take $150 million. An improved version of the AL-31F will be used on the aircraft originally (though it is not clear how these heavy motors are reconciled with the concept of a 20-ton fighter). The upgrade of these engines will require expenditures of 1.2-1.5 billion dollars. And finally, designers will have to spend several hundred millions of dollars on creating a new airframe.

State financing will cover not more than 20-22 percent of the cost of the development of the PAK FA. It will thus be necessary to draw extrabudgetary sources of funding, lending the development program a principle of openness for international cooperation. In the opinion of experts, export income, if it is taken from the plants, can provide not more than 1 billion dollars. It is maintained that the insufficient amounts can be received from foreign partners.

The plane's development will be conducted with a view of achieving a reasonable compromise between its cost and combat efficiency, and take into account the market demand. exports sales of the new warplane must reach 500 to 600 fighters at a price of $35 to $40 million each to make production of the new aircraft profitable.

According to some reports, India and Russia have agreed to jointly develop this fifth-generation fighter, under a scheduled with entery into service in 2009. This would be the first such joint development venture between the two countries."

Link:
www.globalsecurity.org...

Personally and IMHO, the PAK-FA will be a 5th Generation fighter when and if it is produced in quantity in 2009-2012. Being "real" about this, the US will have substantial numbers of F-22's by then, the F-35 JSF will be in numbers by then and probably the US will be working on a 5.5 or 6th Generation fighter by then.

Other than that, its a "different" looking aircraft that will be apparently of great design being the Russians are involved.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This is a thread about the I-2000, not the Pakfa, but good info for the most part.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
bisonn,
The Mig-I 2000 is the Pak-Fa.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
bisonn,
The Mig-I 2000 is the Pak-Fa.

regards
seekerof

isnt it the shafagh? it looks identical.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Sector, from what I have been able to understand from the information I have read on the Mig I 2000 project, is that the Russian's, because of home funding problems or budget restraints, opted to find partners. In such, Iran and India both signed to partner and develop concept.......

Iran: Is working on their version of the Mig I 2000 in the form of the "Shafagh"....

India: Is working on their version of the Mig I 2000, called the "Pak-Fa"....

Both programs are of the same concept: Mig I 2000 and are/is a joint venture between the respective nations involved. Budget restraints are also being experienced in Iran and India (mainly because India wants to work and spend its funds on the LCA program) on this particular project(s) and program(s).

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 3-12-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Sector, from what I have been able to understand from the information I have read on the Mig I 2000 project, is that the Russian's, because of home funding problems or budget restraints, opted to find partners. In such, Iran and India both signed to partner and develop concept.......

Iran: Is working on their version of the Mig I 2000 in the form of the "Shafagh"....

India: Is working on their version called Pak-Fa....

Both programs are of the same concept: Mig I 2000 and are/is a joint venture. Budget restraints are also being experienced in Iran and India (mainly because India wants to work and spend its funds on the LCA program) on this particular project.

regards
seekerof

im talking with Venik now (the webmaster of www.aeronautics.ru) ill post the convo later.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Me:
is the mig I 2000 = pak-fa?

Venik says:
unlikely, MiG I 2000 and Shafagh may actually be the same project

Venik says:
PAK-FA is more likely to be the S-55

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   
How about you get 'Venik' to give you information on that 'paper airplane' called the S-55.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 01:15 PM
link   

How about you get 'Venik' to give you information on that 'paper airplane' called the S-55.

regards
seekerof

me says:
venik do you have any information on the s-55 ?

Venik says:
www.google.com...
Venik says:
S-55 is smaller version of Su-27
Venik says:
but again, the PAK-FS may be something completely different
Venik says:
The S-54/55 was originally designed as a carrier-borne fighter-bomber.

Venik says:
It does not meet all the PAK-FS requirements

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Accordingly....the Indian version of Pak-Fa was actually called Mig 2000, based on the S-37 or S-32, so yes, I was mistaken because I assumed that the Mig 2000 was the same as Mig I 2000....go figure.

Found this picture:

*The MiG 1-44 is seen as a technology demonstrator for the PAK FA P (Source: Butowski)*
Link:
www.janes.com...

And these on the Indian version of a possible "Pak-Fa"(S-32) or India's next concept 5th Gen Fighter:

And Russia's S-32 project:

Personally.....with the cancellation of the Mig 1.42/1.44, I'm wondering the same for a number of "top" projects that the Russians are currently engaged upon.........THOUGH, I respect Sukhoi's immensely and have no doubts that they will continue to strive for a viable 5th Gen. Fighter and one that will be produced and introduced into the RuAF in suffecient numbers.

What is interesting to note is that BOTH Russia and India claim that the Pak-Fa will be their competitor to the F-22.....why they so worried of the little ole' "Raptor" anyhow? Must be those "fire and forget" missiles it is carrying......maybe?
Maybe it's capabilities?
heh........

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
if you look at the history of fighter aircraft development in Russia, they always tried to stay behind the US on purpose. Most Russian fighters were responses to US fighters
jumping in the lead costs too much

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   
the aircraft u have shown reminds me of the american raptor

top topics

<<   2 >>

join