It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2006

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Augustine Volcano - Alaska

During 16-23 December, unrest continues, elevated seismicity & several small steam explosions.

Thermal imaging on the 22nd (December) confirmed the presence of a new fumarole or gas vent high on the S flank of the volcano.
VOLCANO UND

[edit on 1-1-2006 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I know most other volcanos have live web cam feeds, but is Augustine one of them. It would be interesting to see this thing let off some steam from that kind of view.

[edit on 1-1-2006 by CelticHeart]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Here's a link to Augustine Volcano web cam. www.avo.alaska.edu...

(mod edit to fix link)

[edit on 11-1-2006 by pantha]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
According to AVO scientists who visited the volcano on December, 30th in order to install additional GPS receivers and deploy additional ash collection devices this week, the volcano was obscured by clouds in web cam and satellite images. However, brief views showed continued steaming. Weather prevented additional observation flights.
USGS

I have checked the webcam several times, but have been unable to see the volcano. If you can, please, add a picture, if possible. We are looking forward to seeing it steaming.
Thank you.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
That is the same problem I had. All I could see everytime it reloaded itself was clouds. It would have truly been something to have been able to see that volcano even if for a little bit.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It's a little hazy, but when I clicked on the webcam yu can actually see the summit of Augustine.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Looks like she erupted this morning.

news.yahoo.com...

Wish I had been watching the cam when it went off.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
A RED ALERT has been issued for the volcano.

Seismic activity is on the increase as well.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Thank you for your posts.

Well, at least we know the reason of all the increase of seismic activity we had reviewed in the past days and weeks...

Eruption of Augustine Volcano.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Mount Fuji

Two sides to this story, we'll just have to wait and see what develops, but I figured it was best we also include in the watch thread. The lack of snow is really the cause for so much speculation at the moment.

January 12th
Japan Mt Fuji lacks snow, but no fear of eruption

(Reuters) - A lack of winter snow on Japan's famed Mount Fuji has sparked speculation the volcano could erupt for the first time in three centuries, but experts on Thursday denied any link between snow and seismic activity.

Much of Japan has had record snowfall in the last month, but recent photographs of the usually snowcapped Mount Fuji show its slopes looking bare.

"A lot of snow fell on Mount Fuji, but it was blown off by strong winds," a city official in Fujiyoshida near Mount Fuji said.

Some tabloids have taken the snowless peak as a sign that an eruption was imminent, but scientists said there was no basis for concern.

January 6th
Does lack of snow indicate Mount Fuji's about to blow?

Some experts say that it would not be surprising for Mount Fuji to erupt at any moment.

"It's my personal belief that magma build-up inside Mount Fuji has already reached a critical stage," Prof. Masaaki Kimura, a seismology professor at the University of the Ryukyus tells Shukan Post. "Mount Fuji erupts about once every 300 years. And it's been about 300 years since Mount Fuji's last eruption. Volcanoes go in periods where they're active for about 300 to 400 years and then dormant for 300 to 400 years. But, it's a matter of simple arithmetic that Mount Fuji is due to erupt pretty soon."

It seems the natural world fears that Fuji-san is about to blow, too. Since the start of 2004, frogs and stinkbugs once prominent in the area have virtually disappeared. Some see this as a sign that they've sensed something untoward is about to happen and they're avoiding the place like the plague. Observers have noticed this phenomenon, too.

"The most recent change has probably been the sudden disappearance of sparrows around the mountain since about the middle of October," Hideaki Kuribayashi, a photographer who bases himself near Mount Fuji, tells Shukan Post. "Normally, sparrows flock to this place, even in the middle of winter." (By Ryann Connell)

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Augustine has erupted again.

start.earthlink.net.../43c88550_3ca6_1552620060114-896331748

Friday's eruptions occurred between 4 a.m. and 7 p.m. Alaska time.

Similar short-lived explosive activity is expected to continue over the next several days or weeks, observatory spokeswoman Jennifer Adleman said, and additional eruptions could occur with little or no warning.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Mauna Loa on the Big Island in Hawaii was showing signs of increased activity, but seems to have settled down again. This is good news for the city of Hilo, one of two major cities on the Big Island, and one that could be seriously threatened if Mauna Loa were to erupt. Kilauea continues to erupt, for the 23rd continuous yaer, with no sign of letting up, or slowing down in any way.

[edit on 1/14/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The Augustine volcano is very active of late and seems to be waking up today:

Alaska volcano disrupts flights. Some flights to and from Alaska have been cancelled after a series of volcanic eruptions. The Augustine volcano has sent plumes of smoke 15km (10 miles) into the sky. The mountain, on an uninhabited island, has been erupting since Wednesday. Scientists said the "eruptive period" might last for months.

BBC

She is active anyway but im sure this could all be linked to the strange geysers and gas recently, and still:

Months of rumbling earthquakes warned experts of the imminent explosions - the first eruptions in 20 years

Link as above maybe one of the Sisters waking up? if you take the original native view and description and not one based on just st helens?

Regards

Elf

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Heavy snowfall at MSH ?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
That´s a good question. I have been looking around but have been unable to find a different picture from Mt. St. Helens. Wonder what it is too.

Let´s keep a close eye on it...

[edit on 27-1-2006 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Mount St. Helens when she woke up about one hour ago or so...

external image
Click picture for most recent...

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
According to my source Zeitcam: "Today's time-lapse movie has not yet been generated.".
It shows the most recent animation from yesterday.

I think it is raining. Just take a look at it.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
According to my source Zeitcam: "Today's time-lapse movie has not yet been generated.".
It shows the most recent animation from yesterday.

I think it is raining. Just take a look at it.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Augustine Volcano kicked back to life with five eruptions Friday night and Saturday morning -- then a new burst of prolonged, near-constant activity that began anew Saturday night and today.

Augustine

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

<<   2  3  4 >>

join