It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Martial Artists?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Just seeing how many we have here who study the martial arts, and what system(s) they study. I'm currently teaching myself, until I can find a decent instructor here in Oklahoma, T'ai Chi Ch'uan and Togakure Ryu Ninjitsu, with a bit of Aikido, as well as various things from other systems - including as Bruce Lee's 1-inch punch. I also study Reiki healing, and what little has been developed of the Jedi Martial Art (whose name I cannot give to non-Jediism members, I am afraid), which is currently being developed by Jediism's very own "Shaun".

Shaun has been training in the Arts since around age 3, starting with Shaolin Ch'uan Fa/Kenpo Karate. Holding Black Belts in multiple disciplines, and as the founder of Imperial Dragon Shaolin Kenpo Karate/Tenchi Bujutsu, he was deligated to lead the group of Jedi enthusiasts making the Jedi Martial Art. Shaun has trained thousands of students, and has Black Belt students worldwide. In his early training, Shaun was an aggressive sparring partner on the tournament circuit, earning him the name "Blue Tiger." Currently Shaun is focusing his work on Tenchi Bujutsu, T'ai Chi Ch'uan and Reiki healing

So... who studies what?

[Edited on 24-8-2003 by LOBO]

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i dont study anything, but i spa regullary with my friend who has been doing kirate (tang su doo)[i dont know how to spell] for about 8 or 9 years..

i would say i am quite good, i am probably better than your average later belts as far as kirate goes.. if i was to take it up i think i could progress really fast...

i use a bit of unconvensional attacks and deffence, we have came up with our own techniques and continue to add and improve them. we have thought about making our own style...

i have put my own grapling techniques into it and safe to say, i can throw people about a bit, ( im 6ft+ and largish build)

now im not saying im tough because im not.. but 1 vs 1 i could probably stand my own against most equally matched hight/lower and similier/smaller build people...

but dont get me wrong i aint no bruce lee/jackiechan/jet li if i was to walk in a room and try fight 3 people at once i would most probably get my backside kicked unless i could have 2 free shots first..

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Im thinking of learning some kind of martial arts. Maybe Ti Chi and then go buy a short sword.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have done Aikido and , Maraining allsports...Which is a mixture of many styles....

I enjoyed Aikido Alot, And i think it is very usefull in many situations......Using the power of the other peson against them....
I know its used by the police in Turkey

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
yep i take #o-ryu itsou-kai karate i have a brown- black belt and i hope to get my full black belt in about the next 7-8 months

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
do you have different dans in that form of kirate?

like when you hit black belt you get, 1 dan 2 dan 3 dan, higher versions of the black belt with usually a white stripe for each dan..

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I have studied taekwondo,kick boxing,muay thai.

I am currently studying jeet kune do and ninjitsu.
Using nunchuku and tonfa.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
i took tang soo do lessons from my stepfather for a while but he is ill and can not always teach. he is a master black belt.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Briefly studied a few different forms from Judo, to Karate, to Kick Boxing to Kung Fu (having a brother who is an avid Martial Artist helps
). Then of course there was out and out 'street brawling', which ain't pretty but proved to be effective when the need arose

Current discipline I have stuck with however is not a Martial Art as such...it is a weapons/combat form native to my own people, the NZ Maori.

Weapons Form is called 'Mau Taiaha', and centres around the usage of a staff/spear called *strangely enough* the Taiaha (the dude in my Avatar is holding a training one).

As part of that I also train with other traditional Maori weaponary like the fighting 'clubs' called the Patu and the Mere:

...and also the traditional weapon called a Tewhatewha:

Peace,
ALIEN

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by alien]

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I used to take Tae Kwon Do as a kid, but after the first couple of grown up street fights i've had with people who were supposedly well versed in such skills; they mean nothing. When you get a person like that in a desperate situation, their skills more often then not wind up turning on them. Street Fighting all the way.

I do however enjoy Drunken Shaolin Style. It's totally based on power.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I might start a aki-ju jitsu class soon. But if I had more choice to choose from (location is a problem) I would have picked something like muai thai, capoiera, kempo karate or some kind of ninjitsu.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Remind me not to get into it with you!

I took six years of Chinese Boxing (Gung-fu) specifically the Crane and Monkey style (not to be confused with drunken monkey btw) I also studied with my father (former special forces Navy, you figure it out) and learned a lot.

One hint courtesy of your favorite Naval Marine Mammal.

If you are ever in an establishment and it appears that your are going to be assaulted by someone, be smart, take a handfull of salt or pepper out the door with you, when said guy get's in your face, throw and aim for the eyes, he's blind, now be a bigger man and walk away!

Cheers

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by Shining Wizard]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I know fisthitsu, legkicksu, and kicksuass.

Actually every time i got into a brawl, I just got them on the ground and kept breaking ribs.

so i guess that's breaking ribs style.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
theres too many of these martial arts. you cant keep up with the names, when i was younger the only thing i knew was judo and karate, and now there seems to be hundreds of them.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
....of women in uniform....does that count?

- Bronx street style

- Okinawan Goju Ryu

- Multiple - I trained under a Navy SEAL who was a big advocate in diversity, so we had instructors come through in the Chinese, Philipino, Brazilian, Japenese styles, along with his core Korean styles.
Never black belted in any particular one, never had the time. But fighting wise, I was trained in application long before kata mastery.
Besides, I'm old enough to be a New Yorker in the last era of knuckle-upmanship: no one got shot, no one got stabbed....but folks did get the beejeebus wupped out of them if they didn't know how to fight!

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I took 2 years of Japanese Tang su do in college but thats been a decade or so ago. My favorite move has to be the Louisville Slugger. Its not a special punch, its a bat I carry in my truck.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
...as a kid. It was about Gypsies, and when they had the gypsie Alpha male throwdown, they took off these big buckle belts and whipped the shyte out of each other!
Hence, I always wear good quality leather with a heavy metal buckle.....a formidable weapon you can't be busted for concealing!

My favorite style when it come to real-time theory application, is the style of the Phillipines ( variously known as Arnis/Escrima/Kali ).
No other really approaches the break down of distances to such a degree: kicking distance, punching, grappling, a whole sets of theory behind pinching, head butts, ground fighting, breaks & joint locks, knee & elbow strikes, etc....

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreepMy favorite move has to be the Louisville Slugger. Its not a special punch, its a bat I carry in my truck.

i got one of them says something on the side like bat weighs 7 ozs less than lenth...

sounds like a bell when you smash somebodys head in with it ( dong dong dong )

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The problem with all these different styles is that they focus on a particular aspect of fighting, such as grappling, long-range fighting, and short-range fighting, but in real fighting everything comes into play.

If your interested in something that works and doesn't just look good check out Bruce Lee's style (although I shouldn't say that because he didn't believe in styles, but he had to call it something) called Jeet Kune Do. There are a few books written by him but you should have some prior knowlegde of fighting terminology to understand them fully. I'm currently traing at a boxing gym and they help me out immensely. I'm reading the Tao of Jeet Kune Do right now.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Taekwondo, black strip red belt

The only problem with taekwondo is the lack of balance and their weak stances. But the kicks are really good.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join