It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain chp reads mans thoughts!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
A paralysed man in the US has become the first person to benefit from a brain chip that reads his mind.
news.bbc.co.uk...
Oh, great!! Who's next?
Don't every body jump at once, well not untill they throw the switch.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
That's pretty cool. I understand that their goal is to be able to have sensors that you can just place on your scalp. The potential for this is pretty big. I can see this being used for lots of things besides disabled individuals.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well, surely if your mind can control electronics with this technology
it could be used in reverse to where computers could control the mind.
Don't you think?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I don't know. I would think that the human brain was too complicated for them to be able to control. Besides, they would have to place sensors on your scalp to do that, which means that they already had control of you anyway. I think the useful aspect of this technology outweighs the scary side.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Lets just be clear, it doesn't read his mind in the normal sense.

He can think his TV on and off, change channels and alter the volume thanks to the technology and software linked to devices in his home.

There was a much earlier study that showed that a similarly paralysed guy could control the movements of a mouse pointer with a temporary insert. The article also notes that it works in monkeys.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This brain chip doesn't really read minds.

There are certain devices that can perfectly associate the thoughts to true or false statements, but they will not "read" a mind. We are yet too far from mindreading.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by savannah
I don't know. I would think that the human brain was too complicated for them to be able to control. .

Already approved by the FDA are brain implants for controlling depression and other brain influenced medical problems. If the voting machines are fixed already, the next step is "fixing" the voters.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
PlayStation 4 will be a whole lot smaller than everyone imagined.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Oh lord. It might sense brain signals, if it's attatched to the brain, but that's all it will read is brain signals. The mind is something else.

Is the Psychiatric institution going to try to controll us with brain chips or something?

If you will close your eyes and do some visual thinking you might be suprised to find that the thought is not located in your brain.

Troy

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
If you will close your eyes and do some visual thinking you might be suprised to find that the thought is not located in your brain.

can you expand on this statement? Where is thought located?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The precursor to a chipped and monitored society, you've inspired me to make my own thread on a related subject.

Now you would-be-skeptics are saying nothing is to fear, this is good technology.

I say, ofcourse if you want to implement a standard of having everyone chipped (in either the head or hand), you start small.

Christians know it as the Mark of the Beast, it is however, no fable.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Light Being
Christians know it as the Mark of the Beast, it is however, no fable.

Rats, no Playstation 4 for me then...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Thought is simply not located in the brain.

If you consider the fact that there are people who recall past lives. The old body is dead, yet there are these memories that still exist. That old brain is sitting in the ground rotting.

We are more than a pile of meat.

Does this help?

Troy

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Thought is simply not located in the brain.

If you consider the fact that there are people who recall past lives. The old body is dead, yet there are these memories that still exist. That old brain is sitting in the ground rotting.

We are more than a pile of meat.

Does this help?

Troy

Somewhat, and I agree that we're more than a meat pile. I thought you were suggesting thought occurs in another part of the body. I'm down the soul idea myself.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Cool man, thanks for the thumbs up!

Troy

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This is a fascinating technology. I’ve been following it for some time, and this thread reminded me that I had book marked an article about Matt Nagle some time ago.

This article actually contains a somewhat unnerving picture.

Wired Article

And I came across another new article today.

Longer Article

I seriously hope that science can find cheaper and easier ways to help people like Mr. Nagle. Time will tell, but science seems to be finally catching up with the sci-fi neural net concept.

-VW

new topics

top topics

join