It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man Sells Device That Blocks Fox News

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
A device that blocks the reception of the Fox News cable channel. Kimery contends Fox News' top-level management dictates a conservative journalistic bias, and inaccuracies are never retracted, and what winds up on the air is more opinion than news.

story.news.yahoo.com
By EMILY FREDRIX, Associated Press Writer

It's not that Sam Kimery objects to the views expressed on Fox News. The creator of the "Fox Blocker" contends the channel is not news at all. Kimery figures he's sold about 100 of the little silver bits of metal that screw into the back of most televisions, allowing people to filter Fox News from their sets, since its August debut.

AP Photo

The Tulsa, Okla., resident also has received thousands of e-mails, both angry and complimentary — as well as a few death threats.

"Apparently the making of terroristic threats against those who don't share your views is a high art form among a certain core audience," said Kimery, 45.

Formerly a registered Republican, even a precinct captain, Kimery became an independent in the 1990s when he said the state party stopped taking input from its everyday members

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What ever happened to just changing the channel? I mean there are a bunch of news stations you can listen to why would you pay for somthing like this when you could just change the channel. I wonder how much time his guy wasted to come up with this thing. what are your guys opinions about this.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
*cough* I have one already its called a remote control . Is this guy making freezers for Eskimos too???

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   

why would you pay for somthing like this when you could just change the channel?

It is not about changing the channel. It is about making a statement. That is all this is. It is another outlet for people to express their views about certain aspects of political media.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
So let me get this straight. Instead of changing the channel or simply programming your TV to skip FoxNews you want to make some guy rich making a statement??? Unless you are actually in a Neilsen house, no body will know or even care. Better idea, put your money in afund to pay for your childrens education.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I agree with Kidfinger.

the purpose of this is to make a statement
and for publicity.
Thats all. It serves the purpose.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
So let me get this straight. Instead of changing the channel or simply programming your TV to skip FoxNews you want to make some guy rich making a statement???

Um....no. Never said that.

Unless you are actually in a Neilsen house, no body will know or even care. Better idea, put your money in afund to pay for your childrens education.

I agree completly. I would rather change the channel then buy one of those things. Besides my Coke habit is quite expensive. Im up to a two liter a day
lol

[edit on 3/27/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Cool then we are in agreement

As PT Barnum once said there is "a Sucker Born every minute" Buy away if you like

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

*cough* I have one already its called a remote control . Is this guy making freezers for Eskimos too???

This comment sure made me laugh!

I agree with you 100%!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I think we already have some of these doodads around the house.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Cool then we are in agreement

Im a Liberal, not a Left wing nut

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

So let me get this straight. Instead of changing the channel or simply programming your TV to skip FoxNews you want to make some guy rich making a statement??? Unless you are actually in a Neilsen house, no body will know or even care.

I thought the same thing, but each purchase generates a letter in your name to the Top Ten Advertisers on FOXNEWS indicating another household they can "subtract" from Neilson projections.

This is 'reverse Neilson' and who doesn't want that kind of power? Sure anybody can send a letter to the advertisers on CBS or NBC or Fox and say I'm not watching you anymore, but this is action.

A record of action that not even the ratings monopoly Neilson would be able to account for if it took off.

Still having said that, I think the manufacturer is marketing this "FoxBlocker" all wrong.

It's not the right leaning opinion that's the problem, it's the "fake debates" and extremist opinions (on both sides) and 24/7 yelling and screaming of infotainment sensationalism.

Merely blocking it with your remote so your child doesn't get a load of Mancow talking about boobies and "dummycraps" first thing in the morning sends no message. Writing letters doesn't either. It's not perfect, but something like this (offered for every channel) could be a hell of a statement. I just wish it was one device you could program for whatever channels you want and that signal block was tracked.

I wanna VOTE with my remote!

It sucks to not be a Neilson household. Who are those idiots? They ruin everything.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Wanna make a political statement about FoxNews: change the freaking channel! You got a remote control. Use it.

Don't let this Sam Kimery guy ripping off your money by making you more lazier.

You know something? There are TV models that let you program to skip or save a channel on the remote control. I have over 120 channels with my cable provider but I managed to skip over 49 channels that I don't watch and leave about 71 channels to save and watch for.

I believe you do have a skip/save a channel option in your TV. You can make your own political statement by skipping a FoxNews channel and SAVE your money!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_oleneo
I believe you do have a skip/save a channel option in your TV. You can make your own political statement by skipping a FoxNews channel and SAVE your money!

Like I was saying though, that makes no statement whatsoever, especially when the left/right wingnut extremists that somehow manage to become Neilson households or get arbitron diaries (for radio) lie.

Neilson families "save shows" and channels and leave TV's on all day and night, and write in arbitron diaries they listen to ridiculous 12 hour blocks of radio that validation studies prove they don't.

The ratings system in this country is a joke.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Fine, so does he make one for NCBCBSABCCNN. Not that I would buy it I'm just want to know if this guy is "Fair and Balanced".

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Man Sells Device That Blocks Fox News

Old news.
Yes, you too can have your very own FOX-proof Cable Box

Is Fox worried about this new product?

"I mean, clearly, it's not working," a Fox News rep told us. "Our ratings continue to skyrocket."

Question:
Of all those within ATS that can't stand FauxNews, how many of you have actually opted to buy one of these 'devices', instead of using your remote, and continuing to post your 'whine and cry' topic threads about how FoxNews is 'this and that'?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
and Faux continues to fib.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Damn FredT, you took my post!

I don't need one, I've got a, a, eyelids! Yeah, that's the ticket, eyelids!

Suffice to say I think this is cool and stupid. Good on him, and it's humorous. If I cared enough I'd get one for memorabilia, but really, I only ever go to FOX because it's one channel below Comedy Central and I flip the remote.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
and Faux continues to fib.

As you continue to watch....how else would you know they are continuing to "fib," dgtempe.

Got'cha! Don't tell a "fib".

seekerof

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Yeah their "rantings" keep getting points, thanks to the people they have ready to make the calls to get the highest "points" in the polls.

I decided to watch fox, during the coverage of Terri's case and their bs is so unbelievable I was actually hook on them.

I tell you it has to be the devils works in good family news disguised.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I love it. Yeah, everyone with tv already has that device built it & they can program their TV's for what ever channels they want or don't wan't. The first thiing I do when I get a new cable/satellite tuner is program out all shopping channels & religious programming.

When I read the title I was really hoping that he was selling some kind of device that would block the broadcast in his neighborhood or some such thing, but I guess that would be illegal & get people really worked up.

I think you have to give the guy Kudos for making a statement and making some money while doing it. Kinda of like the guy who marketed pet rocks back in the 70's.

I say Why not after all the cable company is reselling me my local channels in HD when all I need is a $10 UHF antenna & a capable TV to get the samething over the airwaves for free.

<<   2 >>

join