It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush: Iran Should Stay Out Of Iraq Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
With the elections in Iraq now just days away, a strong warning from the President of the United States of America to Iraq's neighbor nation of Iran. "Iran should stay out of Iraq's elections". There are many who suspect that Iran is working with Shiites to gain a majority in Iraq's elections, which could turn Iraq into a nation much like Iran. Good or bad it is democracy at work in a middle eastern Muslim nation. And it seems that Iran and the Shiite form of Islam are seen as a threat to at least the leaders of the U.S.A...

CBSNEWS.com Full Article Link

(AP) Iran should stay out of Iraq's elections, President Bush said Wednesday on pan-Arab television.

"Let's be clear, the Iranians should not be in a position to influence the elections," Bush said of Sunday's polls in an interview with the Dubai-based satellite channel Al-Arabiya. His remarks were voiced over in Arabic and translated into English by The Associated Press.

U.S. and Iraqi officials have expressed fears that Iran, a Shiite Muslim-majority state on Iraq's eastern border, is trying to expand its influence through the elections, in which Iraqi Shiites are expected to win the largest number of seats in a transitional national assembly.

Iran has rejected accusations it was trying to influence the elections, saying that Iraqis have made it clear they won't take orders from abroad.

Bush said he does not think the elections will produce a pro-Iranian government in Baghdad.

"The future of Iraq is based on the Iraqi nationality and the Iraqi character and the Iraqi people. There's been a problem between Iran and Iraq for a long time and I am confident that Iraq's people, pride, history and traditions are what the new government will focus on," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Welcome to democracy in the Islamic world!

We've been at war in a part of the world that is driven by faith in Islam, and in that faith there are groups seeking a majority and with that comes ultimate power. The Iranians are seeking to exploit this new democracy in Iraq to their own end.. at least according to the Bush Administration.

Can we now bring them democracy and tell them who to vote for?

Iran and the U.S.A. seem to be more divided every day. It would be Ironic if that division is made worse buy a thing called Democracy.

Politics and Islam.

Related News:

Bush urges Iraqis to defy rebels

US President George W Bush has called on Iraqis to "defy terrorists" and vote in Sunday's election as violent attacks by insurgents continued across Iraq.

Mr Bush was speaking on the deadliest day for American troops since the US-led March 2003 invasion.....

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Its ironic, contradicting, and hypocrisy at its best by the Bush adminstration loyalists.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
How exactly is telling Iran, a foreign nation, to stay out of Iraq's elections, hypocritical? Is he saying don't vote for anyone? Is he saying they can't vote for anyone?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
What I want to know is why Bush spent time on this at all...........it's the Iraqi insurgents who have threatened potential Iraqi voters, not Iranians. Bush is mixing the metaphors here; I don't think this is a relevant topic. There is now, IMO, 100% more concern about Iran interfering with Iraq elections then previous to Bush's comment........stirring of the pot in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Oh The Irony

I'm not sure which is more ironic: that a foreign country (the U.S.) is insisting on conducting elections in Iraq, or that it is insisting that another foreign country (Iran) not seek to subvert them.

The only thing that seems certain is that the people of Iraq won't be the only ones making decisions about the future of Iraq.

But at least they have a better shot at it than they did a few years ago.

[edit on 1/26/2005 by Majic]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I believe all countries have some interest in their neighbours... Why on earth should Iran stay out in this matter? Mr. George Wantstoruletheworld Bush should stay out of the elections, not Iran. I saw a documentary on Negroponte, the new US ambassador in Iraq, yesterday, and I'm seriously bothered by US strategies, hidden operations and their run for world domination. No offense to US citizens out there, but seriously. Someone please whack the people @ the White House and get someone in there who actually WANT the best for the world and their country...

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

What I want to know is why Bush spent time on this at all...........it's the Iraqi insurgents who have threatened potential Iraqi voters, not Iranians. Bush is mixing the metaphors here; I don't think this is a relevant topic. There is now, IMO, 100% more concern about Iran interfering with Iraq elections then previous to Bush's comment........stirring of the pot in my opinion.

The insurgents are made up of foreigners (not short on Iranians), and get their equipment through natinos like Iran.

I'm not sure which is more ironic: that a foreign country (the U.S.) is insisting on conducting elections in Iraq, or that it is insisting that another foreign country (Iran) not seek to subvert them.

America isn't holding the elections, Iraq is.

Unless you can provide some proof America is tampering with votes in some way, don't make these accusations.

I believe all countries have some interest in their neighbours... Why on earth should Iran stay out in this matter? Mr. George Wantstoruletheworld Bush should stay out of the elections, not Iran. I saw a documentary on Negroponte, the new US ambassador in Iraq, yesterday, and I'm seriously bothered by US strategies, hidden operations and their run for world domination. No offense to US citizens out there, but seriously. Someone please whack the people @ the White House and get someone in there who actually WANT the best for the world and their country...

Iran should stay out for the same reason America stays out of Canada's election.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
The only thing that seems certain is that the people of Iraq won't be the only ones making decisions about the future of Iraq.

But at least they have a better shot at it than they did a few years ago.

Interesting post.

Better shot really?

Care to expand on this?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What Bush Really Wants To Say:
"Blah, Blah, Blah.....God has positioned me to this office because I am his messiah on earth! Therefore, my will shall be done unto the American people and taxpayers, their lives and money belong to me, and me, alone!"

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Disturbed Deliverer

Iran should stay out for the same reason America stays out of Canada's election.

I hate to say this, but the US routinely interferes in the politics and elections of foreign countries. It happens all the time. Here's an old article about the National Endowment for Democracy that clarifies that a bit.

www.emayzine.com...

Bush is just being his arrogant, hypocritical self by telling Iran not to influence the Iraqi elections. And if you believe the US is not trying to stack the deck in the upcoming elections there, then I've gotta car to sell you.

What I think is going on is this government's method of mind control over it's oh-so-easily-swayed-subjects. Bush simply tossed out another cookie for the American subconscious to digest in it's growing belief that Iran is "evil" and can't be trusted. More and more over time, the administration will invent reasons for us to dislike Iran and will plant the seeds of distrust in our minds along the way. Then, when the time is right, the administration will announce that for our safety and security as a nation, we can wait no longer, and have no other choice but to invade the "evil, freedom haters", Iran, and give those poor souls a taste of the "real freedoms" that US-style Democracy brings. American sheepoids will then rise up in mass and cry out "Hail to the Chief!" as we enter into yet another senseless, murderous campaign.

What an arrogant, hypocritical people we've become. I want America back!

[edit on 1/26/2005 by netbound]

Sep

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
One thing I don’t get is, why would Iran interfere in the Iraqi vote? It is quite obvious that Iran’s party is going to win, without any interference. The top two clerics in Iraq have either supported or are in it.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Disturbed Deliverer I do not think you know the meaning of the word insurgent. If they are foreigners they cannot be insurgents. Iraqi insurgents are from Iraq, hence why they are called insurgents.

top topics

join