It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you think about "Signs?"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Just as the topic says, what did you think of the movie "Signs." I thought it was really bad. The movie had really screwed up parts to it.

What are your thoughts on the movie?
or

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I liked the movie........

Mel Gibson was good too...........

What did you not like about it?

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
First thing was, I like movies that make you think at least a little. In this one, the boy always gave up what would happen. So you wouldn't have any suspense at all. I also think the writers could have gone through some research on the so-called (yeah, I'm a skeptic) real stuff on UFOs and such. But the story behind the story was alright: With the connection between things. But they took it a little too far.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I dont know ... I liked the movie. Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix were great in it.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I liked the movie as well, but I do have to agree with you cammo dude. They gave way too much info and explained too much. Several times during the movie, I thought: " How in the hell would they know that?".

The suspense was good and since I am already interested in the subject, I thought the good parts out-weighed the bad parts.

Although, I still fast-forward the movie through every scene the woman police officer is in. Ughh, I am glad she doesn't have a huge part in the movie. She could have easily ruined the whole film.

[Edited on 29-5-2003 by kraken]

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Guess I'm the only person who really doesn't like the movie...
Oh, well. Still stand by my answer. But it's nice to see what other people think.

But I do see that I'm not the only one that thought they gave too much away.

[Edited on 5-29-2003 by Cammo Dude]

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I liked it... but I think of it more as a 'monster' movie than an 'alien' one, though its monsters are, in fact, aliens.

I think what M Night Shamalyan (sp) was trying to get at was that, in times of danger, even the most independent people become dependent on their families.. also, the origin of 'faith' is those moments when you realize that events have just gone over your head.

So far as everyone knowing more than they should, I think they were trying to show that, at times of stress, people jump to all sorts of conclusions without thinking. People take on the airs of being 'experts' when, in fact, they know nothing--- of course, when the little boy does this, and is accurate about half the time, it's cute, because the mocking of 'experts' is flipped around to say that, in a way, you can trust children. It was a very clever ploy, I think.

And, stylisticly, the director was trying to make a Hitchcockian movie that played on primordial fear. It really doesn't matter what the aliens were after... what the show becomes, at the end, is a tale about being surrounded and trapped by predators, in the dark, without any defences, with only faith to keep you going...

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 01:04 AM
link   
but you are right, there could have been more..the scariest part to me was when the aliens were trying to get in the house..to me I think that would be utterly terrifying! I think they should have said more about how they made the 'signs' and showed their spaceship and stuff..so all in all it wasn't the greatest alien movie, but I've yet to really see one and keep waiting

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Overall I enjoyed it...

...Scariest parts were when you first see the an alien being, during that Childrens Birthday video footage...that freaked me the heck out, as thats kinda how they appear in dreams etc. Also, as Magestica said, when they were attempting to get into the house.

I think some parts of it were actually quite biblical/spiritual in nature...aligned with the concept that aliens like that are actually demons. Most evil entities don't like light, or water...and are very much repelled by water...which is often used during 'cleansings' of entities.

Think about who brought that little girl the water all the time...her father...who was a Priest (Holy Water). And how that water burnt the alien...much like it does demons.

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 09:44 AM
link   
but I was expecting more....

Really disliked the "water aversion" bit. If you were an alien who had a deadly allergy to water, would you try to conquer a world that is like 2/3 water? Not a very bright alien....

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I agree with Alien I FREAKED OUT during tha video part too and my parents did also. The house part well I dont think that Grey's have the natural ability to jump onto roofs and such. And the water thing COME on people.. But the movie there was toooo much suspense and too much of something dosent make it better.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
I think what M Night Shamalyan (sp) was trying to get at was that, in times of danger, even the most independent people become dependent on their families.. also, the origin of 'faith' is those moments when you realize that events have just gone over your head...

...And, stylisticly, the director was trying to make a Hitchcockian movie that played on primordial fear. It really doesn't matter what the aliens were after... what the show becomes, at the end, is a tale about being surrounded and trapped by predators, in the dark, without any defences, with only faith to keep you going...

That was the only thing that I thought was good about it- the story behind the story.

Originally posted by Gazrok
Really disliked the "water aversion" bit. If you were an alien who had a deadly allergy to water, would you try to conquer a world that is like 2/3 water? Not a very bright alien....

Funny point...

...And to add on to what Kriskaos said: The aliens wouldn't be anything near to a grey because of all of their "abilities." I almost think of greys as being feeble old people with good tricks...

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I didn't like it. It could have been so much more. The movie tried to tease but didn't offer anything in the end. You could say it was an interesting concept but this movie had nothing new IMHO.

Mel Gibson was a lot better in Conspiracy Theory.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Leveller, guess we're the only ones that definately don't like the movie.

I too thought Mel Gibson was better in "Conspiracy Theory." But I think he did much better in "The Patriot."

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Am I the only one then that thought it was an excellent alien movie all around?

Today people are obsessed with extravagant special effects (although I am too). However, this movie didn't require it. Shyamalan wasn't aiming for an ID4 style invasion movie, but as said, normal people coming together to face their fear. I thought the suspense was brilliant. I watch this movie with my surround sound system near full blast and it scares the hell out of me everytime! From the alien at the birthday party, to the footsteps all around you when they are trying to get in the house. Its awesome.

I can see how people would find the young boy's constant explanations and accurate thinking a tad annoying, but its not unrealistic. Anyone who would read any theoretical vision of an alien invasion would make exactly the same conclusion on the frame of attack.

If anything, making the people not knowing what would happen having read a book about aliens would probably have made the movie worse, just another "dumb" alien movie.

In the movie the idea that water was deadly to the aliens doesn't mean they would simply avoid the whole planet. As said, they were avoiding major water sources. Any invasion or forward attack is bound to bring casualties, the command would have to weigh the possibility of own deaths to reach the outcome.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Nah, I did'nt like it at all. They had too much info on the aliens, the water idea was stupid, they had poor lighting (I hate it when the majority of a movie is in the dark). It had suspense, and I did think Mel was good in it but Sighns is on my "Don't Watch Ever Again" list.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I expected alot more from this movie. At some points, I thought it was finally going somewhere, with the television scene, showing the chaos worldwide, to the aliens trying to break into the house.

However, between the drab and almost lackluster feel to the movie, totally destroyed it for me. The story ended up going pretty much nowhere.

What bothered me the most was that the aliens were driven back so easily.

Here you have an obviously more technologically advanced race, and a much more dangerous race as far as the claws, durability and the "gas spigot" on their wrist. These aliens must have been planning the invasion for a LONG LONG time (if you go by how long crop circles have been around). Then, when the aliens are ready to strike--they're plan that has been in the making for god knows how long--is foiled by a glass of water.

Had potential, but was ultimately deflated down to being a movie hardly worth a second screening...

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I've been reading this guy's board for a while, and this post is about signs:

click here

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Awesome site!!!!

The site gets the point through...
Oh, and the graphics were great!

That made me think: There's water in the atmosphere. Why would they want Earth then? It would be just be a place of constant pain for them.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Still enjoy the movie but that page is amazingly funny!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join