It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rainbows Lounge

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

It's thick acrylic mixed with 'interference' paints (Golden brand) to give it higher reflectivity. Bright colours on dark backgrounds really jump out using that mixture.
edit on 27/2/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

You've inspired me to start something new from scratch, I'm wondering if I can pull off a aurora borealis... hmmm

Quamulys, you have just made my month. I'm going to be telling all that will listen about this moment.

@Masqua Is that really you? Did you paint it? Thank you for another speedy response today.

@Everyone I've just had a thought guys, maybe the mods will push our work for us so they can get fifty percent royalties. It's gotta be better than getting a publisher.

@ Publishers If you are reading this you are too late. Triple what you were thinking and I'll consider it.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Maybe I need to try some different paint brands, because I find if I put bright colours on something dark, by the time I go back to it the next day it's gone all darker and duller and lost the punch it had when wet...? Like it seems to me that the dark underneath is showing though, even if I put the paint on really thick it still seems to get duller over time.

I noticed also you did some paintings on birch, I'm using MDF which is a very solid smooth particle board. It's cheaper than canvases to buy and I find it easier cause it doesnt bounce as I paint. Should I be sealing the boards with something first the paint shop said it is fine to just paint on bare.

To Olaruwho did that youtube video, very interesting, but a tad confusing for me to understand! I missed the message I think, is the old man crazy and imaging the girl and imagines Fred running off with his imaginary grandaughter? The flashes of red items was really visually interesting

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

That's absolutely splendid Olaru! Great job! Of course film makers are very welcome! I have a plan for a video (not a film) that I have every intention of going through with but it hasn't snowed yet and snow is my central character!

Keep up the good work and thank you so much for posting.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Qumulys

To Olaruwho did that youtube video, very interesting, but a tad confusing for me to understand! I missed the message I think, is the old man crazy and imaging the girl and imagines Fred running off with his imaginary grandaughter? The flashes of red items was really visually interesting

I'm not sure there was a message. I didn't write the screen play. I see it as dramatic surrealism or perhaps experimental drama.

I'll post up some others later that are a bit more straight forward.
edit on 27-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Qumulys
Maybe I need to try some different paint brands, because I find if I put bright colours on something dark, by the time I go back to it the next day it's gone all darker and duller and lost the punch it had when wet...? Like it seems to me that the dark underneath is showing though, even if I put the paint on really thick it still seems to get duller over time.

The trick is to cover dark with light as most acrylics are transparent to a degree. The best plan is to always start your paintings using colour opposites... like blue under red or yellow under green. This gives the final coats 'vibrancy' and 'depth'. The lighter the red you want, the lighter the blue underneath it should be.

I noticed also you did some paintings on birch, I'm using MDF which is a very solid smooth particle board. It's cheaper than canvases to buy and I find it easier cause it doesnt bounce as I paint. Should I be sealing the boards with something first the paint shop said it is fine to just paint on bare.

I've used all kinds of surfaces, including many paintings on MDF. There's a problem with them, though, in that there are strong glues involved in the making of MDF and, besides having an odour, may actually affect the paint over time. But I do know of some very famous artists who use it as well, so I wouldn't worry about it. However, a possible buyer might decide they don't want it in their house. Some art collectors are very picky.

I prefer birch panels now because they are solid and can stand my favourite process, which is sanding and polishing a painted surface.

About sealing the boards, the best is titanium white. It can be sanded nice and smooth and all my paintings are started like that. It's also great to draw on and an art eraser works just fine (not the pink ones from school, the soft gummy white ones).

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the tips! I think I get what your saying and it makes sense if acrylic is translucent (learn something new everyday). I'm gonna be really concious of the mdf smell now but I will give it an undercoat in white on my next piece.
Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Night Star
reply to post by Qumulys

I love your painting!!!!! But...Jane had me looking all over for a bear. Hahaha!

Qumulys said he felt the painting was unfinished, I just said what I could see to complete it.
If you have problems with drawing animals, why not have a go at something more ethereal and freeform in the clouds?
Anyway, far be it for me to suggest....I can't draw for toffee!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I thought that's what you meant, but I was looking for it too! *I'm a big dum dum* Yeah, it does need something else. I'm still learning though. Here's a couple more of the paintings I've done, this first one I was trying to capture the anger left behind after a bush fire, it didn't come out how I was planning because I kept slopping paint in the wrong spot so had to add more trees to cover it up... Ended up too messy I think.

This painting is hanging up at my nan's house and I liked the colour's in it but struggled with brush strokes in the sky. (cheap house brush!). But she loves it so that makes me happy. This thread is kicking me right back into gear, I might post progress pics as my new one comes along (tommorow I'm laying white, so that's a bit boring to post about)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

There's a BIRD!....

Those paintings are amazing! Your detail to the trees is beautiful. That was obvious in the first picture you posted.
Maybe you should have a go at sketching out a tree or two which have subtle forms in them....the obvious one would be the face of the greenman. But how about animals, flowers, trees within trees?......I'm getting a bit Salvador Dali here!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

I was so nervous doing the birds and each time it got bigger and bigger! But yeah, they're in shadow so was a bit easier. You have some great ideas angeldali
I'd honestly like to see you have a go and see what you come up with!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Lol!...it would probably end up looking something like this....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

You might surprise yourself, besides that rainbow is perfect for the thread and made me smile enormously

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Hiya Peeps!

Jane where did you find my rainbow drawing? You've been going through my desk! Hehheh

Qumulys, Those paintings are fabulous, they look like cover art!

I'm putting the coffee on now, see yas in a bit. Need caffeine to come up with creative ideas!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Mwahahaha! Found it in the 'secret compartment' of the bureaubeastie!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Good morning Sis, nice place you have here!

Good morning to Everybody!
I am completely impressed with the art work that has been shown.
I used to draw portraits, even sold some one year. I've painted, but it's not my thing.
I can't believe the acrylic paintings, Qumulys...how did you get such light fluffy clouds? For me, acrylics dry too fast and seem so thick and pasty, lol. I don't think you need to add anything...it's hauntingly beautiful. (The 2 pics posted further in the thread are beautiful...I'd hang any/all of them!)

Myartisstrong....wow, what a lot of work! I thought Dali too when I saw it. It does look 3D to me, which is great...because I am seriously considering trying to do a 3D drawing....like the sidewalk artists do? Trying to make something look like it's popping up out of the page!

Masqua....Seriously? I just looked at your art! You should have your own gallery! You have so many different styles. I would definitely have a wall full of your art....such talent!

Olaru12...I know nothing about film-making, so I'm already impressed, lol! The black and white is always cool...the guy reminded me of Nick Nolte...?

All of you, keep on making art! Just because you can....and those of us who can't, are eager to enjoy the fruits of your labour!
jacy

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Hiya Sis, welcome to my humble abode.

It's not just for art, it's for all creative endevours. A little place for ATSers to bounce off each other and be inspired. It's working for me so far. The only problem is so much to do and so little time to do it in?

Do you have any idea how dangerous it is running towards your computer in slippery slippers on wooden floors bearing a full, hot mug of coffee? I can see me getting naturally selected by the end of the day!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Tsk, little Tsu....you have such a way with words, lol....I have a visual in my head of you charging towards your computer, coffee in hand...hehe....but it all ends well! No 'natural selection' for you, Tsu.
We have a party to prepare for...then the book tour!
Know anyone who will make costumes for us?
Art work for the book cover?
"I'm late...I'm late....for a very important date!"
Much to do indeed, sis.

jaky

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yes Yes Yes

We have support for the cover!

My Bestie rang last night to inform me he has been accepted for a place in Cardiff Uni doing Game Art. Guess what his speciality is?

Dragons!

I found a thread on here about self publishing and whatnot with detailed instructions.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I haven't gone all the way through it yet but it looks promising for us!
edit on 2822014 by Tsu322 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Wow.
I'm starting to believe that we can actually make this happen.
Pretty soon there will be videos about the group of people who met online, and wrote (and published) a book together.
Maybe Oprah will call? (roflmao)

I say we go BIG!!!!

jaky

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join