It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychology trumps medical science? 15 year old taken from parents seeking medical help!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Justina Pelletier, the Connecticut teenager who has spent the last year in state custody in a case that has pitted Boston's top doctors against a family who claims their daughter is being medically mistreated, will go into foster care, a court has ruled. In a two-hour closed door hearing on Monday, Justina's mother "collapsed" and was taken to a local hospital and her father "shouted in anger" when they were told by a Department of Family and Children's judge continued to deny the family custody of their 15-year-old, according to the Boston Globe. Lou and Linda Pelletier, of West Hartford, Conn., have been fighting for their daughter who they say has mitochondrial disease, a rare genetic disorder with physical symptoms that can affect every part of the body.

A team of doctors at Boston Children's said her symptoms were psychosomatic, according to the family. The hospital then filed a complaint with the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families, as required by law, because they suspected the parents of child abuse for subjecting their daughter to invasive medical treatments and denying her mental health therapy.

They laid out a treatment plan for Justina, which her parents refused to sign, and on Feb. 14, 2013, when they attempted to check their daughter out of Boston Children's to take her back to Tufts to resume medical treatment, the family said they were told by Boston Children's that they could not discharge Justina. "We didn't even get a chance to say goodbye," Pelletier said. Justina was diagnosed with somatoform pain disorder, a psychiatric condition when a person experiences physical pain for which no known medical explanation can be found, according to her family. The case highlights a growing concern among those with rare diseases and autoimmune disorders that physical symptoms that cannot be explained will be dismissed by doctors as psychosomatic.

source-ABC

So it seems that psychology trumps medical science when health professionals have opposing views. The end result is state taking your child. I implore you all to read the full story. Basically the parents of this young lady took their daughter to a doctor after her extreme medical issues following a nasty case of the flu. They diagnosed her with mitochondrial disease.

Mitochondrial disease is a group of disorders caused by dysfunctional mitochondria, the organelles that generate energy for the cell. Mitochondria are found in every cell of the human body except red blood cells and convert the energy of food molecules into the ATP that powers most cell functions. Mitochondrial diseases are sometimes (about 15% of the time)[1] caused by the mitochondrial DNA that affect mitochondrial function. Mitochondrial diseases take on unique characteristics both because of the way the diseases are often inherited and because mitochondria are so critical to cell function. The subclass of these diseases that have neuromuscular disease symptoms are often called a mitochondrial myopathy.

en.wikipedia.org...

The family then went to another doctor for a second opinion. The doctor then tells the parents it is just somatoform disorder.

A somatoform disorder is a mental disorder characterized by symptoms that suggest physical illness or injury – symptoms that cannot be explained fully by a general medical condition or by the direct effect of a substance, and are not attributable to another mental disorder (e.g., panic disorder).[1] In people who have a somatoform disorder, medical test results are either normal or do not explain the person's symptoms, and history and physical examination do not indicate the presence of a medical condition that could cause them. Patients with this disorder often become worried about their health because doctors are unable to find a cause for their symptoms. This may cause severe distress. Preoccupation with the symptoms may portray a patient's exaggerated belief in the severity of their ill-health.[2] Symptoms are sometimes similar to those of other illnesses and may last for several years. Usually, the symptoms begin appearing during adolescence, and patients are diagnosed before the age of 30 years.[3] Symptoms may occur across cultures and gender.[4] Other common symptoms include anxiety and depression.[3] In order for an individual to be diagnosed with somatoform disorder, they must have recurring somatic complaints for several continuous years.[3]

somatoform

The doctor then refused to let the patient leave and committed her to a psychiatric unit. The parents can only see their daughter once a week for an hour supervised (just in case they were abusing her and caused said psychological condition). Now they want to cart her off to a foster home.

"We didn't even get a chance to say goodbye," Pelletier said

There has been a gag order which the father is breaking to try and get help.

Be careful when taking your child to a doctor. Make sure they aren't baby snatchers like these.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Wow

This is pretty awful on every front. No matter what the actual diagnosis is, the parents deserve the right to say goodbye to the child and the right to visit her.

My one question though is how did the parents diagnose this mitochondrial disorer? If it was just through Dr Google, then they set themselves up for a fall right there....

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

Tufts medical center diagnosed her with mitochondrial disease

Boston Children's Hospital are the ones perpetuating this BS saying it's somatoform and throwing her in a psych ward.

The hospital then filed a complaint with the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families, as required by law, because they suspected the parents of child abuse for subjecting their daughter to invasive medical treatments and denying her mental health therapy.

edit on 25-2-2014 by theyknowwhoyouare because: eta

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I have been following this story for some time now. I am appalled at what has happened and what continues to happen in this case. IMO the parents are being punished for trying to find the right diagnosis for their daughter. Somehow that has translated into abuse and I am not sure how.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. There are plenty of parents who could not care less if their child has a medical condition that needs treatment and somehow most of these people never hear a peep from CPS. Then you have a family that will go to great lengths to help their child receive the right care and this is what happens. Unreal.

I hope something blows this wide open and these parents get their child back. I am sure at this point she has been traumatized.... but NOT by her parents. BY THE SYSTEM.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by theyknowwhoyouare

So it's Dcotor pitted against Doctor.

Hmm, I've just been through a similar thing with Meniere's disease - I kept getting told by doctor after doctor there was nothing wrong with me despite the fact I keep getting really bad random vertigo attacks, vomiting and passing out at times. I was made to feel like a total hypochondriac and that I was wasting their time. I did not give up because people around me kept telling me that I am not imagining it as they have seen what happens to me with thier own eyes. Just yesterday I went and said to them I think it's Meniere's can you please look into it and hey presto I was right.

I really feel for the everyone in this situation. The parents love their child and want to help them and they are being demonised by the very people who are supposed to help them. It's not fair and I have a slight idea of how betrayed they must feel.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I'd like to see this happen MORE, especially where parents think they can pray their children back to health as opposed to seeking medical attention.

I don't know the particulars about this individual case, but, there's all sorts of damage lots of people who should have never had children to begin with can do to their children.

In many cases like these, rulings are tempered from supervised sessions with a child away from the parents where a child can in many ways let it be known they're victims of abuse.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

So it's Doctor pitted against Doctor.

No it is not that exactly.

It is in fact the Department of Family and Children and courts making decisions in opposition to medical advice.

The Hospital and Doctors cannot rip children away from parents. Only the Department can do that! Only the Judge can back it up.

Charging parents for following the advice of trained professionals is just mad.

The solution here is simple. There is nothing stopping you from simultaneously treating for both possibilities.

One thing I can tell you for sure. If it turns out to be medical, this will be one very rich young lady when she sues the crap out of the State.

P

edit on 25/2/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
So who ends up covering the bill? Once child protective services gets involved it over! Rights of said child/children are now only in making money from the parents. One way or another we are all dead beat parents since it all about the money and not for any such care for children anymore.

Even at schools if a teacher Thinks; really does not matter since most of the time the ones who have something to say actually never raised and children in the first place so has no idea on how to raise one. Just follows the BOOK most do not know about.

My mother was the dir of social services for 20+ years and read that evil Book they go by! Here if someone is giving birth and acts strange; word I use since most are young and are actually frighten on what to do, don't have any money/ health coverage, or no income you get placed on the Plan.

Income for the states and nothing more. Sure there might be some mean parents out there yet if you look back most children were not running the streets, doing what they wanted and actually learned something while growing up. Nowadays children do not have any respect for anything, school system goes about saying this child needs Drugs to be in school and look where we are now!

Back to my mother; who stold my child 20+ yrs ago. Here I was in court saying look how she raised me! Wanted my aunt to raise my child since I learned more there then when I was living with my mother. Yet this is a long story so will drop it.

Their best bet is to find the best Lawyer NOW! Nip it at the bud since now after they have their SS claim, they will have to pay dearly anyway. So might as well put the money to good use and get the child back and Fight the system!

You should now know the scam Dead Beat Dads was a front and has been for a long time. It's the interest they want really off the money on what they do. Schools, doctors, childcare are all in on it!

Parent's! Ask your child what they learned in school today and I bet you get, NOTHING!

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

extreme medical issues following a nasty case of the flu

Uh huh. Steaming here. bbl Meanwhile,

F&S&

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

soficrow

extreme medical issues following a nasty case of the flu

Uh huh. Steaming here. bbl Meanwhile,

F&S&

This is sounding more and more like and episode of American Horror Story than real life.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Yet some do not like hospitals and most come out even worse, caught something while there and end up having to take some crazy pills and things will become better!

Whatever happen to taking care of ones own child? Plus, have you actually read the sheet of paper you have to sign Before treatment?

If the doctors knew what they were doing one would think a form like this would not be needed.

Still though, what is left out of the whole story is what the child is saying! Here you have some child who has this so-called sickness and can't even be at home! All alone with strangers and now having to be locked up someplace not knowing whats happening!

Same with the parents, no wonder why their mad! I would be! Yet of course that had to be added to the story to make it sound worst then it is.

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

Since we haven't heard the child's side of the story, something the doctors and psychologists HAVE, we can't reliably say what her story is.

However, the feigned outrage from the parents could very well be a fear response over all the horrible things the child might wind up revealing about how they treated her once she feels safe and away from them for awhile.

Then again, it could be genuine upset where they aren't culpable of any intended abuse, though unintentional abuse could still be a factor.

Whatever the case, there was legitimate concern for abuse cited by the physicians, such measures were deemed necessary to prevent further harm coming the child.

We may very well see criminal charges pressed against one or both of the parents in coming months with followup news.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
this case is heartbreaking.....ive been following this case for a while but ive not heard much updates , anyone have anymore info?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
reply to post by infoseeker26754

Since we haven't heard the child's side of the story, something the doctors and psychologists HAVE, we can't reliably say what her story is.

However, the feigned outrage from the parents could very well be a fear response over all the horrible things the child might wind up revealing about how they treated her once she feels safe and away from them for awhile.

Then again, it could be genuine upset where they aren't culpable of any intended abuse, though unintentional abuse could still be a factor.

Whatever the case, there was legitimate concern for abuse cited by the physicians, such measures were deemed necessary to prevent further harm coming the child.

We may very well see criminal charges pressed against one or both of the parents in coming months with followup news.

they suspected the parents of child abuse for subjecting their daughter to invasive medical treatments and denying her mental health therapy.

So taking one's child to see a physician that diagnosed one's child with a legitimate disease is grounds for loosing one's child? I understand the sentiment but the article clearly says that the whole issue escalated due to the fact the parents wanted to take her to the professional that diagnosed her with Mitochondrial disease.

The daughter has been out of their custody for a year and no charges have been brought up.
edit on 26-2-2014 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

This is the all there is right now. The court has a gag order in place according to the article.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

I'd like to see this happen MORE, especially where parents think they can pray their children back to health as opposed to seeking medical attention.

I completely agree. Kids are usually ignored when reporting abuse. If they think its psychological then they need to go down that road as well as medical. Psychological treatment does in fact include drugs for neuropathy that could change her life completely for the good. If they are denying her that treatment then they are in fact abusing her.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

There are some Dr. who actually do get involved and see a different way dealing with health issues. Here we have a Dr. who thinks their way is the best and took it too far indeed!

If it was my child, I would have seen 5+ different Dr's and then decide what is best for my child and not the other way around. Then I would have to ask my child How she feels on each way in finding a cure or at least get passed the pain part.

What we have here is another way of control in how we decide on the care for our children. If say we go about doing herbs, non med's and it works! Who loses? Sometimes a little Love and Caring, working stuff out for any child is better then taking just going to one Dr and calling it good. This is something all should consider before doing any Health Issues.

I do hate to say it yet most hospitals go the This is what you have vrs. lets see what we can find out first.

Peace

top topics

join