It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Olympics...your thoughts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

Your right they are not the best in the world, I agree with you on that. Yes a few of the sports are not available to every one. But most are. There are also grants you can apply for, there are charity and non profit organisations that help out families in getting kids into these sports.
Some of the sports are offered at certain schools so that kids can learn and compete.

It is a lot easier to get kids in these sports now a days then it was for us growing up. There is always a way if you have the will.

And to get back to the first thing..

Yes they are not the best in the world but they are the best from their country in their given sport, if some one is better they should have qualified then. The perfect example is the jamaican bobsled team. They did EVERYTHING on their own and still do.

Edit: When my daughter gets older and wants to start sports, I will do anything I can to get her in to the sport of her choice even if it means I have to sacrifice my own fun, or toys to do so. I have been a musician for half of my life and I would sell my gear in order to fund her. Why? because my parents never did that for me.
edit on 20-2-2014 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahsurexxx

well we will see tomorrow. We beat everyone we have faced. We have the best players in the world.

Good luck, your team will need it

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone saw the hockey game today between the American and Canadian men's teams but what a display was put on by the Canadian men. I have never seen a team execute so well in every aspect of the game. I think they only made one significant turnover, a third period cough-up, but fortunately the Americans were not able to capitalize on it.

The one scoring play of the game that gave the Canadians the lead that they would carry through to the end, was, as the kids say, "sick", starting with a blind pass to the rear and then a shot that was deftly deflected past Jonathan Quick by Jamie Benn.

Link to film highlight of the goal:

olympics.cbc.ca...

Jonathan Quick played extremely well and I think that was probably the only way, other than a goal mouth scramble, that he would have been beaten.

Goaltender, Carey Price, was the best player on the Canadian team for much of the early part of the game and got the shut out.

The Canadian forwards were active forechecking and backchecking like demons. The Canadian defensive formations were virtually impenetrable and a lot of time was spent in the middle of the rink or in the American end. The Canadians had a lot of chances to score but were frustrated by fine defensive plays by individual American players or by the speedy Quick.

Very good game overall for anyone, unless you had the wrong dog in the fight, of course. The final between Sweden and Canada should be great if it's half as good as the Canada/US game.
edit on 21-2-2014 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2014 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
So I am laid off from construction at the moment and watched probably more of the olympics than I ever have.

I don't remember Mark spitz or Olga Korbut but remember Eric Heiden winning every speed skating event years ago.

I feel bad for Russia losing out in hockey, but it isnt the Big Red Machine like it used to be.

So have you watched any of the games?

2/27/2017

Russian gymnast OLGA KORBUT moved to the USA in 1991, but has fallen on hard times financially. She sold all of her medals recently.

Full Story: www.msn.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join