It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jamaican Bobsled Team -- Watermelon Helmets? Watermelon Helmets.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Take this one from Sochi for what you will.

Jamaican Bobsled Team -- Watermelon Helmets? Watermelon Helmets.

File This Under: "Questionable Decision Making" ... but the Jamaican Bobsled Team competed over the weekend wearing helmets that looked like watermelons.

Of course, in the U.S. ... there's a well-known stereotype about black people and watermelon -- but in fact, it's not really a "thing" in Jamaica.

Still, a little weird to see a team consisting entirely of black people wearing helmets that look like watermelon.

As one Jamaican source put it ... "I don't know about any stereotype ... all I know is we eat them, not put them on our heads."

www.tmz.com...

Some black news sites are pitching a varied fit over it, but frankly, I don't care what the blacks in this country think and I bet the bobsled team doesn't either. Obviously, the team liked the watermelon idea, or they wouldn't have worn them in the first place. To be totally honest, I think they're sharp looking helmets. I want one!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
If the people actually wearing them don't have a problem with it why does everyone else have too! im with you i think they look rather sharp and theres alot of crazy helmets going on there, ive seen controversy over a few! So silly when you think of everything else going on in the world.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

it should be patently obvious by now that the jamacan bobslay team doesn't take things to seriously

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Winston, the 49 year old guy on that team was one of the original jamacan bobsled team members that had a movie called Cool Runnings based off of their olympic run. That man put up $250,000 of his on money to fund the trip. If he wants watermellons on his head he gets watermellons on his head.

It was not his countries Idea, He bought them his self. I dont see it as a racist thing at all because after all it was his money that bought the helmets.

I am glad that they finally made it back to the olympics!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
A Little weird other cultures not caring or following our cultural stereo types...

The arrogance and ignorance is astounding.

ETA: The above is sarcasm
edit on 19-2-2014 by benrl because: obtuse ATS crowd disclaimer.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The Jamaican bobsled team first came to Canada as bobsledders, and every football fan in Canada knows about watermelon helmets.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
So what? There's nothing wrong with watermelons. Plenty of people like them.
And as for the stereotype, why even be offended by it? It's like saying "white people like golf" or some other such thing... There's just nothing negative about watermelons.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Chalk this up to.... the PC crowd will literally dig until they find something to be offended and bitch about. If the folks doing it aren't offended, they will try their best to get them to the point of feeling that way. Then they need to sweep everyone else into their "offendedness" for good measure.

WTH? Like there is nothing better to do? If people didn't have so many PC'ers telling them when they should be offended, I bet there would be a ton of folks that would go a few days without experiencing it.

ETA - That I LOVE the Jamaican Bobsled Team. Cool Runnings anyone?
edit on 2/19/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I say good on them. Take a sterotype and make a joke out of it

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I don't see anything offensive about that. Now if Kentucky Fried Chicken, and some company that makes collard greens was on their uniform, I'd be a bit offended. However, if the guy spent his own money on the stuff, he can have anything he wants.

Ya know, there are plenty of us opaque people who like watermelon also. Why the African-American community is having a fit is beyond me. To each is their own I guess.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It is something silly to get offended by for any reason and good on them for taking it in stride. That said I don't think this decision went through by chance or accident. I think "Mr. Instigator" helped encourage this decision along the way. Mr. Instigator has made it very clear he was going to deride these games with PC hoopla and politics from the beginning.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

I dont understand what you are trying to say here....... Who is this Mr. Instigator you are talking about?

new topics

top topics

join