It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Termite Inspired Bots Build without a Leader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Tiny Robots Mimic Termites' Ability to Build without a Leader

Feb 13, 2014
The small, autonomous robots developed by the researchers.

Termites can create mounds that are hundreds of times their own size, working independently without communication or a leader. Inspired by the creatures, scientists have created robots that use just a few simple rules and environmental cues to build castle-like structures and pyramids.

The robots all work independently. Each travels along a grid and can move, climb a step and lift and put down bricks. And they use sensors to detect other robots and existing bricks, and react to these stimuli according to a simple set of rules, such as when to lay a brick or climb a step higher. The template for each three-dimensional structure is translated into a specific set of 'traffic rules' and combined with fixed laws of robot behavior, says co-author Justin Werfel, a computer scientist at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His team's results appear today in Science.

I thought this was interesting. Here we have bots building things without a leader. Cooperating and Accomplishing on their own the task given. I can imagine this someday being scaled both up [Large man sized Automatons] and down [Medical Nano-bots in the human body - repairing organs] The question for me then becomes, how soon would the possibility of an Artificial Hive mind develop?

Don't think the 'Nano-bots' are too far off in our future. I posted this thread just the other day.
Tiny swimming bio-bots, A New reality
edit on 14-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't know how far advance we are with all of this , however it is wonderful technology and the applications are almost endless.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I can envision sending these little critters to the moon, waiting a while, and having a pre-made moon base (or even Mars!) waiting for us.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Or even perhaps even being there already and searching for John Lear.............

edit on 14-2-2014 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The dyslexic part of me thought it said Thermite inspired Bolts build without a leader....I was like oh cool thermite bolts, cant wait to get my hands on those!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Now think Nano-bots. Rebuilding shattered bodies, removal of toxins, disease, cancer etc. Brilliant

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I thought some would be interested.

edit on 14-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Tune into ATS LIve to hear discussion on this most excellent thread by the Slayer

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers Zazz

new topics

top topics

join