It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Free Speech is Important, and listening, too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Free speech is important - and yes, even if it is offensive - because that is the only way for a few things to happen.

1) People to be honest and know what each other are thinking
2) People to be able to work together
3) People to know when they are wrong

It is important to know when you are wrong about something, or when someone else has a different view than you. The first one is because, no matter how much you really *want* to hide from the fact that you are wrong about something factual, you can't.

For example, raising the minimum wage is shown to scientifically improve the economy - forcing it to stay stagnant because it will hurt the economy is delusional thinking, and that means that decisions are being made with the wrong facts. That means that the outcome is not going to be the one expected.

It is like taking fifty apples to a get-together where there are expected to be two-hundred people who want one apple each, and thinking that the fifty apples is plenty - well, you can think whatever you like, but the reality is, when it's time to eat, there is going to be a problem. Now if someone had criticized your plan, you might have known better, and people wouldn't have gone hungry at the event.

Being wrong about something will always mean that you, as a person, or I, will be operating a few crayons short of a box or a few cylinders short of an engine, maybe even a few beers short of a six pack. Criticism is important because it allows for trouble-shooting. It keeps countries from falling over a cliff because their legislators are too delusional to make accurate decisions.

These days, I often find that I have to search out criticism in order to troubleshoot my ideas. That shouldn't happen. Sometimes people are too sensitive to speak openly, which means that there are problems lying in wait under the surface, maybe even lurking.

-----

On to the other reason why free speech is important - it is important to listen to the views of others so that you don't end up thinking that your views are the only ones, which, they patently are not. This can be important in a few ways - sometimes it means learning to be empathetic to others, be they conservatives, or liberals -

As a liberal, thinking that someone with conservative ideas is crazy might be overlooking the fact that they have family and social support for their views. As a conservative, thinking that it is okay to be racist and hateful (which has been on the increase) overlooks the fact that the majority of Americans are either the ones being hated or are not in support of that behavior - and that means that this is going to cost votes, for starters.

In general, it is always beneficial to listen to others. Just as it is beneficial to speak freely. It is not like the thoughts are going to go away - they are going to fester, waiting to be resolved - and they can only be resolved through discussion, which means that both sides have to intermix - that is the only way progress can be made.

Every compromise is a step towards progress. Every bit of criticism listened to is a step towards refining a noble cause.
edit on 13amThu, 13 Feb 2014 02:22:31 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 13amThu, 13 Feb 2014 02:24:00 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 13amThu, 13 Feb 2014 02:25:59 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 13amThu, 13 Feb 2014 02:30:45 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I don't always see eye to eye with you darkbake, however, you are bang on the money with this one.

I always take criticism with a pinch of salt, if it's obvious I'm wrong I will say "Oh yeah my mistake, lets do this your way then", because holding on to your belief, even though you know your wrong, is just being stubborn and it's very detrimental to the evolution of communicating ideas, and for what? To hold face? Ridiculous.

My housemate is the most stubborn human being on the planet, if I prove her wrong on something (with solid facts I'll add) she'll say "I'm going to do it my way on principle" or "Yeah but I see it different to you". She quickly finds out this is a mistake but then has to carry on because of this invisible 'principle'.

Freedom of speech isn't enough, we need freedom of the mind. Once we can openly accept other people's ideas, even if they are the opposite to your own, because they have been proven to be right, then we can start moving forward.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Thanks Royalty, even though that is the only comment I got, I like it.

I'm glad that you disagree with me on a some things but still agree with me on this issue.

It kind of goes with the whole theme of the O.P., I mean, we don't have to agree on everything all the time.
edit on 14amFri, 14 Feb 2014 02:59:20 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

join