It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking with eyes unfocused...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Don't know if this is the correct section to post this... Mixing meditation techniques with survival and science.

I was just wondering is anybody here on ATS familiar with the technique of walking with eyes unfocused. One could also call it a sort of walking meditation, however, that is maybe not the original use of it. I remember reading somewhere that Tibetan monks that were trained as messengers used this technique to travel in the night. Walking or running with eyes unfocused is a peripheral vision technique. What many do not know, is that actually human vision is better in the dark of night than in the light of day. The human eye can detect single photons, but it will not produce a conscious image in your brain. Thus, to enter a meditative state of this technique sensitizes your brain to subliminally process this incoming faint light that the eye registers.

I have also tried this technique during pitch black nights on difficult terrain, surprisingly, I could not navigate the same route in such a short time during daylight. Another interesting thing also was that even when I did not physically or consciously see anything, I did not bump into anything nor do I remember making turns or perceiving elevation differences. It seems almost like there is too much visual information during the day that prevents choosing the optimum route during the day.

Besides being known by Tibetans, there is also the interesting connection to Carlos Castaneda and his power walking which seems very similar. I actually learned about Castaneda only after I was introduced to this technique.

Here is an interesting article about the Castaneda connection with Yoga and Buddhism.

Thoughts, experiences and comments are welcome.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TatTvamAsi

You are not gonna have me walk'n around with my
eyes crossed! I'm just not gonna do it!
Nice try though.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Interesting topic.
I had read Castaneda's account/s, as well, and was enamored with the proposition.
Tried it, as well... Don't know how closely I came to duplicating all of the requirements, but - did not get impaled by any cactus or firethorns.
I am not familiar with the Tibetan practice.
What interests you about this 'practice'? Is it, primarily, the way the mind (or, whatever) works?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Yes i think so this way too, when im in dark it takes couple moments to re-focus my eyes to see in the darkness but in pitch black u cannot see but rather feel in different sensations and such whats around u. I would imaginate that tribes/ppl/animals that lives in nature can relate to this practise very well.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I would agree with this.
I usually fair pretty well while walking throughout the bush on a dark night. I tend to get to my destination in seemingly no time at all.

Of course, I've usually been drinking in these instances.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
At night, senses are heightened. Awareness is increased also. It becomes less about seeing, more about feeling your surroundings. I have read that psychic abilities increase at night. My theory is that the Sun may interfere with ESP abilities.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Oannes

There are many conspiracies regarding the energy we recieve from the star Sirius. Perhaps this increases ESP abilities.
Just throwing around ideas.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

TatTvamAsi
..../

Besides being known by Tibetans, there is also the interesting connection to Carlos Castaneda and his power walking which seems very similar. I actually learned about Castaneda only after I was introduced to this technique.

Here is an interesting article about the Castaneda connection with Yoga and Buddhism.

Thoughts, experiences and comments are welcome.

A long time ago I used to practice unfocusing my eyes. I would sit there and not blink, not move my eyes and concentrate on one very small spot on the wall or ceiling while my eyes relaxed. I found that the "reality" portions of my field of view, the peripheral parts faded away and allowed me to see "past" whatever was there. It was really weird and reminded me a little of certain Castaneda related "products" years before, I suggest you try that as well (not the Castaneda products, just the unfocused concentration).

Cheers - Dave
edit on 2/11.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The Egyptians strongly believed that connecting with the energy of Sirius bestowes immortality. This fits into there cosmology of starwalking.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Do not look directly at any thing.
Look at the space and you will see the whole image instead of one thing in particular.
There are different ways of looking - spotlight and floodlight.
edit on 11-2-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

WanDash

Interesting topic.
I had read Castaneda's account/s, as well, and was enamored with the proposition.
Tried it, as well... Don't know how closely I came to duplicating all of the requirements, but - did not get impaled by any cactus or firethorns.
I am not familiar with the Tibetan practice.
What interests you about this 'practice'? Is it, primarily, the way the mind (or, whatever) works?

Funny, that you mention not being impaled... My test area was by the seaside. The area contained dangerous precipices, cacti, thorny bushes, huge boulder fields of glass sharp bubbly lava rock and a jungle full of wild creatures, even deadly venomous snakes. And I am not pulling your leg here, stayed and lived in that small patch of coastal jungle for a couple of months. The most bizarre thing was actually that during the day I got hurt by walking on the aforementioned lava rock, stepped on thorns on several occasions, scraped myself against the thorns and cacti numerous times, but no damage ever on my night walking sessions.

What interests me in it? Well, it is not a common skill to walk and run in dark forests without any light and cover more distance in difficult terrain than during the day... Just wanted to share and was interested if anyone else has tried this 'practice'. And it is rather meditative. You will also discover glowing mushrooms, algae, reflections off nocturnal creatures eyes and other bizarre 'night life'.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

romilo
Yes i think so this way too, when im in dark it takes couple moments to re-focus my eyes to see in the darkness but in pitch black u cannot see but rather feel in different sensations and such whats around u. I would imaginate that tribes/ppl/animals that lives in nature can relate to this practise very well.

Good point, I would imagine for us to have survived to modern times, we would have had to cope with darkness before handling fire was discovered for lighting and to scare the beasts off.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Kalmah
I would agree with this.
I usually fair pretty well while walking throughout the bush on a dark night. I tend to get to my destination in seemingly no time at all.

LOL, sure drink can make you unfocused.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

bobs_uruncle

A long time ago I used to practice unfocusing my eyes. I would sit there and not blink, not move my eyes and concentrate on one very small spot on the wall or ceiling while my eyes relaxed. I found that the "reality" portions of my field of view, the peripheral parts faded away and allowed me to see "past" whatever was there. It was really weird and reminded me a little of certain Castaneda related "products" years before, I suggest you try that as well (not the Castaneda products, just the unfocused concentration).

I have to surprise you, done quite a lot of that in my childhood when I had to sit in church every Sunday. Never could understand adult fairy tales... So had to invent my own pass-time out of which I had to be awakened on occasion once the service was over. Also done that since, as well, while meditating, dots on the wall, flames etc. Nowadays, just like to turn daily affairs into meditation. What point is there in spirituality or a philosophy if it does not manifest in your daily life? Ritual is useless unless your life is ritual.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Oannes
The Egyptians strongly believed that connecting with the energy of Sirius bestowes immortality. This fits into there cosmology of starwalking.

Never heard of starwalking, have to look into that. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Oannes
At night, senses are heightened. Awareness is increased also. It becomes less about seeing, more about feeling your surroundings. I have read that psychic abilities increase at night. My theory is that the Sun may interfere with ESP abilities.

I am not sure it is ESP here, I rather think it is a property of human vision. With that feeling part and heightened senses I can agree.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

TatTvamAsi

Kalmah
I would agree with this.
I usually fair pretty well while walking throughout the bush on a dark night. I tend to get to my destination in seemingly no time at

LOL, sure drink can make you unfocused.

Yeah, it's amazing what you can get away with when you drink LOL. I built a makeshift diving board for my kids and after testing it, one of them decided to jump up and down on the end so I stood on the base to act as a counterweight. Bad idea. I was holding a full beer and reasonably well intoxicated by that point when the final bounce came. It threw me off the base of the board and I did a full somersault, landing on my back in the water between two dead tree stumps and fully missing the rock wall I built, but (and this is the important part) with my beer still vertical and I didn't spill a drop. Metaphysics or Beer? We have to keep our priorities straight LOL ;-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 2/11.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Itisnowagain
Do not look directly at any thing.
Look at the space and you will see the whole image instead of one thing in particular.
There are different ways of looking - spotlight and floodlight.
edit on 11-2-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

Yes, there are at least two ways of looking. Maybe we should also add a third to the list, looking and not seeing.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

interesting.

i always 'try to' see everything as whole (unfocused)
this afternoon when i walked to the river, i felt like either i moved with everything or everything moved inside me.

i havent try this at night, i will try it in next few weeks.

thanks.

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

romilo
I would imaginate that tribes/ppl/animals that lives in nature can relate to this practise very well.

I think you are right, and I wonder if 'unnatural light' (TV screens, computers, cell phones, even the lights in your house and street lights) ...if these have any lasting effects on our ability to tap into this natural ability. I know, as someone mentioned, I have to adjust to the dark. I know it's been that way throughout history, but it just seems that candles, lanterns and fireplaces would not have had the impact that today's electrical/LED lights do. Do you think it does permanent damage ('Don't sit too close to the TV,' said Mama) or do our eyes really bounce back in full, each time they adjust to the dark?

Interesting topic, OP!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join