It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny numbers can predict the size of objects in the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
" Everything in the universe obeys the fundamental laws of nature, and a few physical constants crop up in many of the laws. In fact, some researchers even argue the universe is made of math.
The idea that a few critical numbers could be used to predict the behavior of much larger objects isn't new; since the 1970s, scientists have been predicting the minimum and maximum sizes of stars using some of these constants."

Wow, we just had a heated discussion on this very topic on ATS the other day, and the consensus waas that the Universe was more than just math. Not so, according to this article on Space.com. The article contends that everythhing in the physical Universe that we see can be understood using math so, in a sense, everything is made of math. This one's for you, Phage!

www.space.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Please explain the SQRT(-1) to me, as I still don't get how it fits in with 3 dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we observe.

Thx.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

My physics and math teacher back then always liked to say "Remember, math is the true language of physics"
When asked about the things math still can´t explain but only describe (gravity) he said "language is always changing".
I hated him for being that ignorant, despite I liked him as a person and felt sorry for his ignorance.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

verschickter

My physics and math teacher back then always liked to say "Remember, math is the true language of physics"
When asked about the things math still can´t explain but only describe (gravity) he said "language is always changing".
I hated him for being that ignorant, despite I liked him as a person and felt sorry for his ignorance.

Did you "pity the fool?"

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

Please explain the SQRT(-1) to me, as I still don't get how it fits in with 3 dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we observe.

Thx.

Not sure what you're inquiring about. Perhaps one of the Math whizzes here on ATS can help.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I can understand you using words, but are you just words?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

No, I was told not to do this anymore.
Get some nuts!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

The article contends that everythhing in the physical Universe that we see can be understood using math so, in a sense, everything is made of math.

What is math made out of?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Thoughts, I would say. Just like words and letters.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If you want to reduce precedent, ramification, progression and Identity survival to math equations, you'd best calculate fast, and have plenty of chalk, because while there is a Set Logic component to physical structure, the dynamic nature of contextual confluence obliterates the possibility of there ever being a mathematical means of encapsulating the physical nature of this or any other universe. Induction is absolutely useless as a tool when addressing something as frenetic as the progressive development of a macro-system like our universe. Each quantum of Now is a Set Logic game-changer, and no equation can ever keep up with the net impact of so much that's in transition.

Physicists lost the war against ignorance when they picked up their chalk and started worshiping math as if that was the heaven where a god that they could work with dwelt. It's sad, really. I guess Earth's humans aren't really ready to strike out on their own yet. If it's not faith in theology, then it's faith in math. Even atheists can only see themselves as existing in staunch refusal to believe in God. Their presence established primarily relative to the god concept itself, with their rejection of that concept providing their identity.

The humans from Earth need a boss. God, math, divine essence, uber-consciousness; whatever will serve to fill humanity's need for established and authoritative perfection. The truth is that our inability to predict where a particle will be isn't a reason to declare the universe to be chaotic. It's just an indication that we're not capable of dominating our universe and forcing it to stop being scary. And making alliances with gods, divine essences, scared geometries, or pristine math equations isn't going to make our journey through life within this cosmos any safer or more free from the fact that in the end, we're going to each have to make our way through a dying process.
edit on 2/7/2014 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

top topics

join