It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 really easy ways to discredit an occupy protestor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
"5. Treat protestors like naive children who must be protected from themselves and don’t understand deep economic complexities of markets."

Probably the most common character attack by the people that disagree with the OWS movement.

"4. Call the movement and/or its participants any of the following: confused, unfocused, aimless."
character attacks are pretty effective at getting people to hate or distance from a desired group

"3. Attempt to brand participants/supporters as extremist loons."

The old "they are crazy people" meme.

"2. Dismiss all frustrations as coming from people who want to blame their lack of success on those who are successful."
They are just losers that are rich people haters. Ignore their argument and tune them out. Again pretty effective tactic.

"1. Ignore it. Dismiss it as a fad, things of a bygone era – like parachute pants and the middle class."
I see the media do this often. By even bringing attention to it they legitimize it. So they have learned to ignore it and wait till it goes away.

gozamos.com...

Even though OWSoros was a fake tide foundation funded movement that was used to gauge the effectiveness of the system's normalizing mechanisms.
TPsychopathsTB needed to see if thier police state apparatus could coral the enemies of the state without waking up the programmed entertainment addicted consumer drones in the process.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

I agree but wanted to contribute below.

Ad hominem attacks. A typical diversion from the message to blaming the messenger instead of answering and debating the message. A logical failing but as a collective humanity do not seem to be smart enough to see thru it.

Buddha on this.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

If a message is true, then is true and valid no matter the source of the message and the number of people giving it. At times there will be one singe voice who is right while the rest is totally wrong.
edit on 3-2-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Is OWS still around? I thought once the new World of Warcraft game came out they all went back to their Mom's basements.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

On the surface I agree that this is only a means of not having to address the argument. However, it is true that most people in the country in general have no real idea how economics in general work. I'm not talking about financial markets, just the basics of markets and the economy and why central planning and command economies do not work.

And there were quite a few of them that were demanding that they get their debts paid for because they went to college and got useless degrees. What person goes to school and gets a degree in Women's Studies and is surprised when they find out that they can't get an instant 6-figure job in the real world afterward?

edit on 3-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

OptimusSubprime

Is OWS still around? I thought once the new World of Warcraft game came out they all went back to their Mom's basements.

That's hilarious but where were you when OWS had the guts to stand up to those that have been ripping off (and still are) EVERYONE?

As the saying goes, if you don't stand up against something preferring just to sit back in silence, you become part of the problem. The OWS movement may not have had much effect but at least they tried.
edit on 3-2-2014 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

The same tactics were used against the Tea Party as well. This just goes you that the MSM knows the two party system is a sham. And they are backing it.

I participated in both until Big-Money funding took over. But there are still die-hards out there in both the OWS and Tea Party who would not be bought. And they usually get along on a personal level. But if they could put many of their little differences aside, they may be a force on the political landscape to be reckoned with. But I don't really see that happening any time soon.
edit on 3-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

OWS got to the game after we all got ripped off. TEA Party were trying to tell the idiots in the government not to do it but to let the "too big to fail" fail.

We got torn to shreds for it, too.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

. . . where were you when OWS had the guts to stand up to those that have been ripping off (and still are) EVERYONE?

As the saying goes, if you don't stand up against something preferring just to sit back in silence, you become part of the problem. The OWS movement may not have had much effect but at least they tried.

Thank you for that.

Occupy didn't get where everyone so very much wanted...but so many tried who had never done so before. That came from it as a good thing. Experience for the future.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Experience for the future.

The experience was, for unfortunately too many, one of disillusionment. TPTB would most likely chalk one up in the win column.

A Tea Party pat on the back for your OWS efforts, Wrabbit.
I know it wasn't you crapping on my flag.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

The media can certainly be very selective about what they cover.

It's something to get home from an event to see coverage while you were away from TV of what you'd swear was a whole different thing going on. Not for the good, of course.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Good post. Yeah, once you step outside the main stream and start standing up, you realize how oppressive the status quo is when you step outside of "acceptable" positions. OWS learned this when they stood up against the government/FINANCE complex, (like TARP) and the true TEA partiers learned it when they stood up against the GOVERNMENT/finance complex. (like TARP) So much is presented between this epic battle between "right" and "left", but if you ever dare to step outside of that paradigm and think for yourself, you get hit even harder than you ever did in the right or left, and you learn a lesson real quick about how things go in the US.
edit on 4-2-2014 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

I find it funny that both depublicans and democrooks will attack the same groups.

They pretend to hate each other then attack the public when they start seeing through the partisan left-right broadway performance. Jesse Ventura eluded to this mind-game.
edit on 4-2-2014 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join