It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amanda Knox and ex-boyfriend guilty of Kercher murder.

page: 22
<< 19  20  21   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

stargatetravels
I also want to comment on how this story has been spun in the US and why flyersfan and and others can't help but defend Knox.
I hate it because they're reporting on this 'beautiful' all-american girl next door, in this evil, strange foreign land where law isnt practiced properly and she's basically been framed, this pretty girl, she doesn't look like a snarling psycho killer, she's young and pretty.

You're going to paint every American who questions Knox's guilt as being enamored by her looks?! Seriously?! You just did that. Wow. Talk about a broad brush. You're focus on her physical appearance is your focus, it doesn't have anything to do with me or my opinion. I will say that the media spin in Europe and the U.K. talks about what she looks like an awful lot.

stargatetravels.
There's very little room to argue, Knox was involved, a court has decided that twice now.

And once they decided that she didn't, so I guess if we are going by Best Two Out of Three... You're right. But they are going to keep challenging this back and forth.

There is media spin on this in the U.S. in Knox's favor. That is true, but it is nothing like what you are describing. It would be foolish to think otherwise, but this weird, obsessive focus on her physical appearance comes from Europe and the U.K. So... As far as being influenced by media spin, you may want to see to the proverbial plank in your own eye.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

stargatetravels
I also want to comment on how this story has been spun in the US and why flyersfan and and others can't help but defend Knox.
I hate it because they're reporting on this 'beautiful' all-american girl next door, in this evil, strange foreign land where law isnt practiced properly and she's basically been framed, this pretty girl, she doesn't look like a snarling psycho killer, she's young and pretty.

That is complete nonsense, the evidence quite clearly points to AK and RS.
There's very little room to argue, Knox was involved, a court has decided that twice now.
But no, poor Knox, how sad, with barely ever a word, just in passing, about the young lady who was actually murdered.

You raise a very important point and deserve a great deal of credit for opening this aspect of the overall discussion. I find myself in complete agreement with you about the dangers of gaining an understanding a news story solely through the lens of the US media; this is especially true regarding US coverage of international matters.

There have been countless examples of the US media altering translations to use words that, while not accurate, would mesh better with the storyline of their coverage. Far too often does this narcissistic attitude we Americans are taught to have about the rest of the world (referred to as American exceptionalism) and with this in mind our media belittles the justice systems of other nations (valid, proven systems in most cases) and mocks them as corrupt or inefficient. However if another nation uses factual documentation to demonstrate that the US justice system is corrupt and efficient, American media becomes outraged. Additionally the US government's actions demonstrate that it has no respect for the laws of other nations, the independence of other nations and basic human rights both at home and abroad (when the US kills innocent civilians with robot drones, our government shows no compassion and calls them collateral damage... imagine if a government spokesperson called your loved one collateral damage; it is truly disgusting and reprehensible).

Most importantly if Amanda Knox was not both Caucasian and camera-ready, none of us would know her name because the American media would have not uttered a word about her or the charges against her. I'd also imagine that if she was not Caucasian and camera-ready then if Italy were to request extradition the US would take immediate action and put her on the first flight to Italy.

My recommendation to anyone following a news item that interests you: Gain a deep understanding of the source material (legislation, the actual text of laws, Court decisions, Court transcripts, speech transcripts etc); anything that you can acquire that is official. The enlightenment you will gain from the source material will be something you will remember forever because your intimate knowledge of the extent that US government and media messaging is manipulated and propagandized.

Also, if you cannot acquire the source material or, like in this case, the translation of the Court transcripts would be too big of an undertaking to complete; I'd suggest doing anything you can to find a legal expert who does not have a horse in the race; someone who avoids taking a side but rather uses a deep understanding of the law and that system of justice to offer honest fact-based opinion.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Latest News from Italy ...

Amanda Knox Case Judge Under Investigation for Comments on Verdit

The newspapers quoted Florence judge Alessandro Nencini as saying, among other things, that Sollecito's decision not to testify on the witness stand deprived the defendant of a voice. The judge also commented on the difficulty of reaching a verdict, due to the vast amount of evidence as well as the intense media attention, and acknowledged that assigning a motive for the 2007 murder of British student Meredith Kercher was one of the most "controversial" aspects of the case.

A Sollecito attorney, Luca Maori, said earlier Monday that the comments on the defense strategy are "serious" and could form part of their appeal to Italy's highest court on last week's verdict. Maori said the defense team would seek an investigation into the judge's comments with the ministry, as well as the magistrates' oversight body and the high Court of Cassation. ...

Members of the magistrate's governing body also said they will request an inquiry, saying Nencini had violated the secrecy of deliberations, anticipated arguments in the yet-published reasoning, and made comments on the defense trial strategy that suggest "partiality," the news agency ANSA reported.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

stargatetravels

Sorry but looks have nothing to do with why I am asking for 'evidence'. Her skin color ... her hair color .. her gender ... all irrelevant. What is relevant is evidence. This is a conspiracy forum so that what I'm asking for.

Casey Anthony ... IMHO she did the crime but the jury was correct in not convicting because of lack of evidence. So 'not guilty'.

OJ Simpson .... IMHO he did the crime but the jury was correct in not convicting because the prosecution screwed up the case. So 'not guilty'.

Zimmerman ... I started out thinking 'guilty of manslaughter' but by 1/2 way through the trial I had to say 'not guilty' because there was no evidence of guilt and because everything pointed to self defense. (I still think it's a matter of two idiots with bad attitudes meeting on a dark rainy night with a gun thrown in ...). So 'not guilty'.

Nice looking white female ... bloated old black guy ... pudgy hispanic guy ... doesn't matter. All probably had some level of responsibility for the death of human beings, but all HAD TO BE found 'not guilty' because of lack of evidence (or screwing up by the prosecution).

That being said, to your point about the defense teams spinning the looks of their client, of course people on trial are going to present themselves to the media in the best possible light. They are going to get hair cuts and shave their scruffy beards .. they are going to wear nice suits or dresses instead of dirty blue jeans ... they are going to speak clearly and correctly instead of with local slang or ebonics ... etc etc. It's standard practice to do this. Makes sense on their part.

edit on 2/4/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

eletheia
reply to post by McGinty

Taken from an article in the Sunday Express >>>

"This is clearly not an issue of double jeopardy " said a London based

extradition law expert and barrister. "I don't see how the US can refuse to

send her back if she is still considered a guilty woman, once all the appeals

have been exhausted". . . .

Amanda Knox is in Washington State in the United States and the crime happened in Italy. Nobody from London is going to tell this American or any other what our Constitution says.

In the end it is Double Jeopardy and thus that will trump all else, so you freaks following the London comic media swallow that pill and live with it.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

McGinty
But wasn't her first retrial a, well a retrial ?

I think that the way it works in Italy is that the original trial would be akin to what we in the US call a “discovery”. In other words its not really intended to be a real “full” trial. They have a very screwy legal system over there.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

verylowfrequency

eletheia
reply to post by McGinty

Taken from an article in the Sunday Express >>>

"This is clearly not an issue of double jeopardy " said a London based

extradition law expert and barrister. "I don't see how the US can refuse to

send her back if she is still considered a guilty woman, once all the appeals

have been exhausted". . . .

Amanda Knox is in Washington State in the United States and the crime happened in Italy. Nobody from London is going to tell this American or any other what our Constitution says.

In the end it is Double Jeopardy and thus that will trump all else, so you freaks following the London comic media swallow that pill and live with it.

Other Americans do disagree with you though.

News link

Double jeopardy?

Some legal analysts have said that Knox could cloak herself in the Fifth Amendment’s protection against double jeopardy, being tried again for a crime after an acquittal. But that protection wouldn’t apply to Knox, Ku wrote in a blog post. For one thing, the treaty with Italy would block Knox’s extradition only if she had been prosecuted in the United States, he wrote. For another, double jeopardy wouldn’t apply because Knox was convicted, not acquitted, in the first round. For the State Department, “The takeaway is it’d be a political decision, not a legal one,” Ku said.

Additionally:

“She wasn’t clearly shafted,” said Alan Dershowitz, a professor of law at Harvard University. “But Italy and the United States have an extradition treaty, and unless American authorities find clear evidence of a miscarriage of justice, legal experts say, it would be difficult for the U.S. to say no. “She wasn’t clearly shafted,” said Alan Dersho “There are many people in American prisons on less evidence.”

edit on 10-2-2014 by TheOriginalGeeza because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOriginalGeeza

I apologize for the late reply.

I have no legal expertise other than my own experiences and was just giving my laymen opinion.

I've been wrong many times, but the prosecutors stories were completely unbelievable. Young women in the U.S. are rarely involved in rape situations and if they are there is a lifelong tale or history of abnormal behavior throughout their lives which would be documented by their, friends, neighbors teachers, coaches, or other authority figures outside their family.

For the most part men are the rapists in this world and the one who left his DNA everywhere was caught.

Retired judges, Fbi and others in the US have reviewed this case and believe so much that the prosecution is wrong that they will use whatever influence they have to help Knox avoid extradition.

Thus I believe no matter what happens there will be no extradition.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

FlyersFan

boymonkey74
.so should she go back and face the music?

No. She spent four years in jail for a crime she didn't commit. She was convicted on gossip and anti-American bias in the newspapers there. Nothing more. Looking at the facts of the case, it's really insane that she was charged at all.

Anti-American bias? I could have sworn that Raffaele Sollecito and Rudy Guede were from Italy and Cote d Voire (Ivory Coast) respectively. Please provide evidence they are in fact American. Or this a case of the Italians showing typical anti-Italian and Cote d Voire bias?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Her parents/family have been more than dignified given that their daughter was brutally slaughtered in the way she was. On the other hand which person who's friend has been slaughtered just 2 days previously, really worries about sending out a mass email with more contradictory holes in it than a dart board. Her story changed more times than I change my socks.

The only people who brought on a media circus were her parents, by both hiring a PR firm and then flooding the internet and airwaves with the nonsense we are hearing now. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which side of the camp you're on, the money will dry up, the PR agents won't work for free and Raffaele Sollecito will, (in the belief he is going to prison for over 20 years) come clean and tell the truth.

The Hitler 'Big Lie' propaganda technique can and will only last for a limited period, I'm guessing when the money dries up...

I always like to apply the simple duck test: if it swims like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it is more than likely a duck. Im confident she will be extradited to Italy and she will serve a good portion of the 28 and a half year sentence. She can only be thankful she hasn't been tried in a backward American state with the death penalty...

top topics

<< 19  20  21   >>

join