It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Obama Plagiarize Parts of Bush's 2007 SOTU Speech???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

A former speechwriter for President George W. Bush says he recognized several phrases in President Barack Obama's State of Union speech on Tuesday – because he wrote them.

"Barack Obama has gone from blaming George W. Bush to plagiarizing George W. Bush," Marc Thiessen, lead speechwriter for Bush's 2007 State of the Union address, said Tuesday on Fox News Channel's "The Kelly File."

Thiessen read aloud multiple quotes from Obama's speech in which he referenced "hope and opportunity." All of those lines came from Bush's 2007 speech, he said.

G.W. Bush Speechwriter: Obama Plagiarized Parts of 2007 SOTU

How ironic this would be if it's proven true

However, as Thiessen said, these 2 men have different views on 'opportunity'
"Obama thinks the path to opportunity is more governmental involvement, while conservatives think it’s more private enterprise", Thiessen said.

“It was eerily familiar,” Thiessen said. “There were lines like, ‘Our job is to help Americans build a future of hope and opportunity. A future of hope and opportunity begins with a growing economy. A future of hope and opportunity requires our citizens have affordable and available health care.’ ‘Extending opportunity and hope depends on a stable supply of energy.’ All of that came from the 2007 State of the Union address by George W. Bush. So, Barack Obama has gone from blaming George W. bush to plagiarizing George W. Bush.”

FORMER BUSH SPEECHWRITER: Obama Plagiarized BUSH’S 2007 SOTU SPEECH

edit on 29-1-2014 by snarky412 because: add link

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Ha, that's pretty funny. Not surprising but still funny.

At first I thought it would be fun to look at the two transcripts side by side to compare them. Then after realizing I'd just sat through Obama's agonizing live version it changed my mind.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the writers being plum out of ammo decided to simply copy and paste anything that resembled a genuine speech.

Maybe that's why Obama appeared to have some finesse last night.

He did seem a little smoother than usual too.

Hmmm.

If this is what it took for Obama to have the "look and feel" of *Confidence* well?

Maybe it fooled some Republicans that were applauding.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
End result, they are both sides of the same coin, stuffed into the vending machine of anti freedom.....one is just the perfect liar...

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Wow, I didn't know W had a copyright on "hope" and "opportunity".
Using two popular words in the dictionary is hardly plagiarism, unlike Rand Paul...

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Then after realizing I'd just sat through Obama's agonizing live version it changed my mind.

Wow....kudos to you for being able to sit there and watch it

Not me, I would apologize, but I won't .....LOL

I am curious as to how much from the Bush's old speech was used, if any and in what context

Tomorrow there will be bickering back and forth from both sides of the isle, picking apart the speech....
What he 'should have' said versus what he 'did not' say

Also maybe we'll have a clearer picture tomorrow on what parts of Bush's speech was used and whether or not it's news worthy

edit on 29-1-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

It's not like Bush ever wrote anything....so how can you plagiarize him if he didn't write it. They all just read what the "handlers" give them to read.....

Maybe TPTB got tired of writing so they just grabbed from the "already threw this crap at the American public and they bought it" pile .....might as well try again.

edit on 29-1-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Obama and his administration have half assed everything they have done so far.... why not half ass a faux rallying cry for unity, jobs, Obamacare, Hey, I'm just like you, employment is up, everything is magnificent, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, the government loves you, etc. etc. etc.?

It's worked every other time. Why quit now?

edit on 1/29/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

True, the presidents don't write them -- that's what their speechwriters are for

That is why this former speechwriter for Bush is speaking out I guess because it was to obvious, especially if he recognized it even after all this time, 7 years later
If it is a rehashed speech, they should have mixed it up better where no one would recognize it

If Obama's speechwriter DID copy it and Obama didn't know, the writer will probably catch hell for it one would imagine, for making Obama look bad

But then again, they never punish people in his administration for wrong deeds
Only people with conservative views....[IRS]

edit on 29-1-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Here is G.W.B. 2007 SOTU speech transcript

But after checking Obama's SOTU speech transcript there are no matches, at least no exact matches. Sorry OP, doesn't seem to be true. I've linked both transcripts if anyone wants to take a better look.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

But after checking Obama's SOTU speech transcript there are no matches, at least no exact matches. Sorry OP, doesn't seem to be true. I've linked both transcripts if anyone wants to take a better look.

Appreciate you taking the time to check and see....

I hadn't heard a word today on the news regarding this and figured if it was true, it would be top story
But so far, just the normal nit pickin stuff about the SOTU

In fact, Joe Biden made the news with his cuttin' up behind Obama while he was giving his speech
Looked like he was having a good ol' time. LOL

Any how, that's why the title was turned into a question rather than a statement
Didn't want to imply that it was 100% accurate when there was doubt

Thank you

Much respect~
snarky

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
here is the clip from the kelly files where bush speech writer says what here plagiarized.

Bush speechwriter accuses Obama of plagiarism in State of the Union

i would think that the guy would know his own words and ideas he wrote down.
this is not the first time obuma has been accused of doing this. do a search and you'll find several accusations of him doing this along with others

new topics

top topics

join