It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free HIV vaccine? is this for real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Okay, I saw this a couple of days ago. I find it hard to believe. The craziest thing is how these guys managed to avoid the big pharma thugs.

A revolutionary, free and crowd-funded HIV vaccine is in the works. Its creators use a machine learning algorithm to examine the cells of rare individuals naturally immune to the virus to then re-engineer the same biological process in others.

I looked for more information but couldnt find anything else. Not even about the scientists involved in the development of the vaccine.
Not only itd be a huge blow the vaccine itself, but also the method they used to create it. Its much faster, and much cheaper.
Heres a link to the full article. Its from RT.
Has anyone else heard anything about this?
edit on 27-1-2014 by payta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by payta

I heard about a number of prostitutes (during the 90's) in Nigeria and Kenya that have HIV but never developed the AIDS symptoms after years and years of having the antibodies present. The explanation was that they had been screwed so many times by people with slightly mutated forms of HIV that their bodies developed the immunity, but they also became carriers. I doubt this explains the 1 in 300 scenario as the prostitutes immunity would be learned where the other is inherited, but it all gives credence to the body's potential ability to turn on or develop an immune response.

In 1972, Arthur C. Clark wrote Rendezvous With Rama and one of the viral aspects of the colony was that there was a super virus that specifically attacked the heart via an immune system trigger that was sexually transmitted (if I remember right). Precognition, prediction or fore knowledge of the coming HIV/AIDS problem, who knows?

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/27.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Sounds interesting. There are a lot of Europeans that have natural immunity to AIDS. I read a research article on this a while back. There was no way of testing at the time if a person had immunity or not. The thing is that these diseases can mutate also so the immunity may not work properly someday. This information is not stressed to the public though. I suppose it would be a problem if everyone knew this, and a little flaw in the epigenetics would cancel out the immunity anyway, So finding a cure for this disease is necessary.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by payta

Sounds great...if it's not FDA approved chances are it will not see the light of day in the United States...they only seem to allow medications that give you side effects that require more medication...seems like a lose lose for any big pharma company

new topics

top topics

join