It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Original Music That I'm Working On

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
After pretty much leaving everything behind I started dabbling more in my favorite hobby. Writing music has been the only thing I have enjoyed through every change in my life. My music may change a bit, but the amount of joy it brings me has not changed at all. I am extremely shy when it comes to performing music for others so I realized being a performer was probably not in my blood. I'm pretty shy composing as well. However if I ease someone's woh just for a moment with something I created I think that is quite powerful. So I hope someone on here will enjoy at least one song and for a moment can forget about the world for a little bit. All these are original pieces of music that I have put together in the last couple months...some of the concepts were written when I was much much younger. Enjoy!

Soundcloud 1

Soundcloud 2

Soundcloud 3

Soundcloud 4

Soundcloud 5

Soundcloud 6

Soundcloud 7

Link 1 : Literally just wrote this this morning. I was actually trying to write another song I had written down and I accidentally hit the wrong note and it led to this song.

Link 2: This piece reminds me of some old russian winter or something where everyone is completely depressed...as I was myself when I wrote it.

Link 3: This song is that feeling I get when something finally goes right. A little story about this piece is I recorded two piano parts...I liked both individually but together they clashed.. I wasnt sure which one id choose then i found if I deleted a few notes in one of the piano parts it sounded like it was one piano playing. I dont think i could recreate one of the piano parts if I tried to sadly. The piano part is actually two piano parts playing!

Link 4: I was writing this piece for what hoped would be a video game....in the middle there is a sick strings part that just sounds so panicky...like as if your character was in an encounter of some kind! Which led to the name "The Encounter".

Link 5: I wrote the bells part/piano part for this when I was in highschool years ago. It has a very creepy feel to it..think music box playing with creepy doll in the background. I like to think its much more than that creepy scenario but it does have a twisted vibe to it. If anyone has ever taken music lessons on the piano they have had to learn the song "Lightly Row". That song actually inspired this piece. I put it in a minor key and changed quite a bit up but as you may be able to tell they are similar.

Link 6: This is just another feel good kind of song. Several of my friends and family have said its my best piece and I completely disagree. I feel its too simple but is entertaining to listen too..maybe good background music for commercial.

Link 7: This bit of music carries a lot of pain..It has kind of been my personal theme song and I play it first thing every time I encounter a piano. There is a whole second part piano part that changes tempo that I have to add in sometime but im still learning how to use all the recording software.

Anyway hope you enjoy!

Edit: If you only have time for one pick the first one... its the most recent and whenever I write a song my favorite is almost always the last one I wrote haha....until I write another song!
edit on 22-1-2014 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

I like them.

Keep up the good work.

I have been recording songs as well. Actually been recording since I was 16 and have around 500 of them. I need to go back through and figure out which ones to work on and master well. Right now I only have one on soundcloud.

I was watching this video the other day and this guy has a really great tip on how to make acoustic recordings sound full:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Thats some talent you have there.
You should be working in a studio.
Production is great, piano is great. i love your style.
Some of the best work ive heard here.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

That actually sounds great...guitar is my main instrument but I have such a hard time recording for it...i turned my walk in closet into a recording booth and I still just don't seem to get the sound I want...I really have to figure that out cause, like you, I have hundreds of songs or ideas just sitting on some cassette tape or cd that has never been done properly. Two of the tracks on my sound cloud account have guitar and I think both are just awful unfortunately. Thx for the vid.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

Thank you deeply!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Make sure you put new strings on prior to recording and also make sure you have proper mic placement. In conjunction with the video above it is very difficult to have a bad sounding acoustic if these steps are taken. Also, don't be afraid of a hard pick if you're used to soft ones. Here is some placement tips.

www.cakewalk.com...

1. New Strings
2. Proper mic placement
3. Hard pick(if your sound is muddled this can help)
4. Mastering

I think one of the things that makes the biggest difference is having two separate mics recording. You can fool this though if you only have one by doing the trick in the video I posted. If you do two mics AND the trick it sounds awesome.

edit on 22-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I always have new strings and I sweat through my fingers like mad so I just started using elixir strings..they are the best ive ever come across. I think the dual mic idea is a good idea...I havent tried that yet. Do you use any particular DAW/software over another? I have fooled around with a few. I think I may eventually end up in Logic Pro.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

The one posted above is called Studio One 2 and mine came free with a midi controller I bought.

Logic is cool but is really overpriced in my opinion.

I haven't had any issues yet with mine and it has enough features for what I need considering it was free with the board.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390432026&sr=8-1&keywords=masterkey+49

The basic version is missing some features but nothing that has gotten in the way of creating professional recordings. It still has automation, effects and all that other jazz. It only lets you export WAV but of course that's easily remedied with audacity which is a free download.

Considering that your music is more indie/acoustic sounding a simpler program will probably suffice and save you a lot of money. Now someone making complicated electronic music for example, might desire more features. But for me this program has plenty of features.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Thx for that link...alot of my music right now is forced to be what it is cause ive used weaker software. Audacity is amazing for editing audio...great program for many things. Logic pro seems like a rip but my eventual ending is to write music for commercials/soundtracks/video games etc...I think there is a tool where you can have the video play while you compose in logic pro which would be ideal. Do you know of any other software that does that? I know pro tools but now we are talking crazy expensive. Thx again for all these links ...lotta good info.

I actually use 3 different keyboards...one full size...one 37 key and today I just bought one of those tiny 25 key ones for when I travel around...I really hate playing on anything that isnt full size but its definitely doable.
edit on 22-1-2014 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I have found over the years that it's more the tricks than the program. As long as the program has the features there it's more a matter of just forcing yourself to sit down and learn every little trick and cheat to get something to sound right. For me it has been mostly forcing myself to stop being so impatient with music and to force myself to spend more time on the recordings. Like I said though I think most basic programs are enough, it's just a matter of learning where everything is at.

Here's a song from the studio one pro 2 that I really didn't even master that much(aside from levels and some panning)

I think it turned out ok. Also keep in mind my music is electronic and sometimes acoustic so for those two it works alright.

soundcloud.com...

Edit: Sorry studio one 2 not pro version
edit on 22-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Man that sounds great.....great piece of music...ive been looking for a choir sound like that....i may have to look into that software..that sounds good. Id like to get to know a few different DAW's anyway...i can sometimes write a whole song off a new sound that I have never heard then just build around it. I can't wait to hear what else you got!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Thanks. I will try uploading some more once I at least do some minimal mastering.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

cheers man ...
i do enjoy music that isnt too noisy ... and happy melodical music is always .. erm .. happy .. and melodical ...
for me i relate loads of stuff to vibration, if not everything .. not so hard to do with audible stuff like music .. i prefer happy peaceful music to contribute to a happy peaceful mind or vibration ..

veiled lullaby wasnt what i expected ... id say simplistically pleasing .. as opposed to creepy ... to me ..

aurora sweet is nice ... liked that ... kinda thing id expect to hear in winamps shoutcast chilled ambient radio stations..

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

thx for giving it a listen! I deeply appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

im checking your music now....what software did you use? Sounds good too mate....we got some similar tastes.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

i used cakewalk ... and dabbled with the rapture and z3ta plugins ...

haa .. well .. i been reluctant to use the word 'music' when referring to my stuff ... cos the 4 tracks that are there, are the only 4 ive ever tried ... perhaps that last one can be called, 'music'
... you will likely hear what i mean, as each track got a bit better than the one preceeding it ...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

yes i listened to everything you had....im interested in writing for movies/video games and commercials and that short rainbow song you have is sometimes just right....here is one i have called epiphany moment....i think it gives you that felling of "ah ha!" when you finally realize something....its only 7 seconds.

Epiphany Moment

It kind of reminded me of your rainbow tune....just gives you a quick feeling with a purpose just for that moment...and it works

new topics

top topics

join