It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is our Sun falling silent?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

We understand how the Sun does it, but it takes a star to do it that way. Lots of gravity required.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Panic2k11
reply to post by NowanKenubi

No there isn't, not about the Sun. It just a slow news cycle filler...

How could anyone take the thread/information seriously after the line "I've been a solar physicist for 30 years, and I've never seen anything quite like this," any one that can think after reading this nullity simply disregarded the subject...

yup its a bit like saying "I have been weather man for 4 years and never seen weather like this"

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

DogMeat
Maunder Minimum
This is what it is called, a mini ICe Age... so does the global warming crowd have a reply?
I bet they do....

MM

The reply would be along the lines of:

One has nothing to do with the other nor does one invalidate the other.

One involves the star (our Sun). The other involves our planet planet's ability to re-radiate heat.
edit on 19-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I have the feeling Newton's letter about the date about "End of the Earth" was nothing that he personally believed in but some useful propaganda, using his position as a known intellectual and scientific eminence, a conveniently rational story to shut up some hordes of nattering idiots wasting discourse. .

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

rickymouse

wildespace
What about that huge sunspot and the flare we had from the Sun recently?

Also, how can a quiet Sun cause bad weather?

That was a snore.

Once the sun quiets, radioactive decay increases, so the earth tries to make up for it a little. That helps keep earth from turning into a frozen snowball.
edit on 18-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Could you discuss any evidence relating solar cycle to radioactive decay?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Bedlam
The Sun's gone out. It'll just take a few millennia for it to cool down enough to notice.

Watch out for underground neutrino experimentalists really trying really hard to get the last transport to planet dirt,
edit on 20-1-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

iRoyalty

DogMeat
Maunder Minimum
This is what it is called, a mini ICe Age... so does the global warming crowd have a reply?
I bet they do....

MM

The sun becoming inactive and freezing our planet has no relation to global warming.

Global warming is because of greenhouse gases that trap the heat from the sun, if the sun doesn't give off heat then it makes it completely irrelevant.

I agree that there is no relation, but the description of the effect of greenhouse gases could be improved.

In simple popularizations I guess "trap the heat from the sun" is OK, but those words makes people think of a blanket or insulation, or a physical greenhouse (the kind with plants), neither of which is truly accurate.

What happens is that the infrared which is reflected/emitted up from the Earth's surface hits certain atoms in the stratosphere. These atoms then re-radiate infrared, but randomly in all directions, both up and down. Without any gas, it would have gone all the way out back to space. (which is why the moon is exceptionally cold at night---no atmosphere).

The net effect, viewed from the ground is that with greenhouse gases the upper atmosphere shines more in infrared. (Why is a damp night warmer than a dry night? Because water is a greenhouse gas and thus the atmosphere shines warmer back on the ground at night).

BTW this isn't mere "theory" it is confirmed experimental fact, as is the increase in the gases and extra infrared radiation.

If people could see in infrared, there would be no foolish debate.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Not to mention that noone seems to ask the question, What is happening with Earth's own internal furnace?

Does that have cycles?

Isnt it fascinating that we had a million degree nuclear furnace in the centre of Earth, but all we think about is the Sun?

Im certainly aware that volcanoes, earthquakes etc, affect the Earth's surface, whether it be gas, liquid or solid.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

mbkennel

rickymouse

wildespace

That was a snore.

Once the sun quiets, radioactive decay increases, so the earth tries to make up for it a little. That helps keep earth from turning into a frozen snowball.

There seems to be some replicated data that there is a very minor rate change in beta decay and inverse beta decay rates that is related to solar cycles. Find it puzzling myself.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

mbkennel

Bedlam
The Sun's gone out. It'll just take a few millennia for it to cool down enough to notice.

Watch out for underground neutrino experimentalists really trying really hard to get the last transport to planet dirt,

Heh. If so, it'll be nothing but politicians. Hope they like lichens.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Bedlam
There seems to be some replicated data that there is a very minor rate change in beta decay and inverse beta decay rates that is related to solar cycles. Find it puzzling myself.
I remember being puzzled by the same thing, but I don't think the replicated or the original data provided anything like five sigma confidence. My conclusion was, the jury was still out and they needed to collect more data and probably needed to look for other sources of error in the data and rule them out. I found the reports interesting but I wasn't really convinced from what I read that they had done more then found something interesting they wanted to follow up on. Maybe they found more and I haven't seen that yet.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Arbitrageur
I remember being puzzled by the same thing, but I don't think the replicated or the original data provided anything like five sigma confidence.

Yeah, basically felt the same way, BUT it was replicated in more than one fairly acceptable lab. And it's beta decay, which you can actually screw around with in terms of rate using external influences. I'm just not sure how the Sun would do it.

So at least it's a decay rate that has some means of being changed.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

mbkennel

rickymouse

wildespace

That was a snore.

A while back I read an article about this in some science site. It said that during a solar flare or high solar activity that radioactive decay slightly decreased. It didn't have to be on the daylight side of the world either, something that sort of puzzled the researchers. Although decay only slightly decreased it did decrease. This means that when you lessen solar activity decay also is higher. It is easy to make that correlation. So there may be a limit on this, maybe it ends after a certain point. They were going to do more research on this phenomenon.

So that little change means hardly nothing, but multiply it by every piece of organic material on this planet and what do you get. Overall increases can make a difference to buffer things a little. It is like the China, profiting a penny on everything they sell and all the USA's money eventually goes there a penny at a time because of volume.

I like to try to apply what I learn to real life. I may not be right all the time, but I am often right as long as I spend about five to six hours contemplating it and researching what I don't understand.
edit on 20-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I read some follow up on this, they have accepted it as real now. It won't effect radiocarbon dating much though, that is why I followed up on it. The fluctuations balance out over long periods of time here on earth, averaging their standard. Actually a fluctuation in the rate of decay has been known for decades, but they just did not know it had anything to do with the sun before.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join