It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COINYE IS DEAD. You win, Kanye!! or not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
A couple of weeks ago the newest bitcoin like crypto currency 'Coinye' was launched poking fun at the well known rapper Kanye West. It was originally set to be launched on the 11th of Jan but they released it on the 7th because of roumors that overly sensitive Kanye was going to try to have it shut down. Once launched it did not take more than a few days for his lawyers to file a trademark infringement lawsuit against its creators.

At first the creators fought back by changing the logo on the coin from a cartoon Kanye to the 'gay fish' character from the southpark episode 'fish sticks'.

They issued Kanye a very amusing cease and desist letter:

Upon receipt of your letter, we kindly changed our imagery so not to confuse the general public with your clients image as we appreciate that there may have been a point of contention.

We have now removed any and all references to your client which we feel could mislead someone in to believing that there is in any way a link between the two.

As you can tell from our new community-submitted, updated materials, we make no visual or verbal reference to Kanye West but to a half-man-half-fish hybrid who is wearing sunglasses, again, totally separate from any resemblance to your client.

We request an end to the constant harassment and scare tactics.

Herein, we require the following from your client.

1. Cease and desist from any and all use of the mark 'Coinye' and other related words or phrases containing 'Coinye'. Should you wish to challenge this request, We require with immediate affect that you supply us with any Intellectual Property proof you may own, including but not limited to, promotional material, video, audio, PR material containing the use of the name or terminology 'Coinye' in any capacity.

2.No further communication through our private email addresses shall be made in an empty [sic] to strong-arm myself and/or any other individual who operates a website or service containing references to 'Coinye' in an attempt to halt efforts on this open source project.

I do not see that there is a likelihood of confusion between the Trademark set forth by your client Kanye West and those being presented by under the Meme Crypto Currency Coinye Coins ("The Gay Fish"). The official site states, and has always stated, that we are not affilated with Kanye West. (See the FAQ section.) These sites are used to provide people with Coinye Coins so that they may purchase "Fish Sticks For Their Mouth."

But Kanye still pressed on with the lawsuit and within a few days the creators gave up the project printing "COINYE IS DEAD. You win, Kanye!!" on the official site. That has now been changed to a short cartoon strip which suggests that if Kanye is claiming the new coin design is still representative of him then he must indeed be a 'gay fish'

But now there are reports that the currency is still in operation. Some of the mining pools are still open and people are buying and selling coinye on places like ebay. There are rumors that the currency is about to be rebooted under new management. I dont think the story has ended for Coinye just yet.

edit on 17-1-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
"The Gay Fish" coinye looked more like him than the first one... which I assume was still the intent. I find it hilarious but everyone knows that Kanye has no sense of humor whatsoever. They should have expected he would not be happy. They should be relieved that he didn't "accidentally assault" them.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This is hilarious and fantastic on a bunch of levels. Thanks for sharing, gave me a good laugh.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm gonna let you finish, but wrabbitt, Zaphod, ______________ insert name here had the best post lol

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
seriously funny haha, wonder when when kadashcoin hobbit edition is coming out
man this guy is becoming a joke on all levels thanks for the share

new topics

top topics

join