It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Run Away!" to replace "Duck & Cover?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Monty Python & The Holy Grail fans may find this new nuclear attack survival tip interesting:

SOURCE: CBS Sacramento

Research Shows It’s Better To Run Away From Nuclear Detonation Blast

New research suggests that it is better to run away from a nuclear detonation blast zone and the fallout, instead of taking shelter in a building with only limited protection from radiation.

Researcher Michael Dillion, an atmospheric scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, had his research published in January by The Royal Society...

In his research he created a mathematical model of nuclear fallout survival in an attempt to determine optimal fallout shelter times following a nuclear detonation...

...The official U.S. government advice is to “take shelter in the nearest and most protective building.” For most people, that would be the basement of their home...

“If your current shelter is poor and higher quality shelter is less than 5 minutes away, the model suggests that you should run there as soon as you can,” Science online reported. “If you have poor shelter but higher quality shelter is available farther away, you should get to that high-quality shelter no later than 30 minutes after detonation. Depending on the size of the city, if everyone follows this advice, it could save between 10,000 and 100,000 lives.”

Maybe it's just me, but it conjures up new civil defense videos in the vein of the old "Duck & Cover" clips except featuring a clip from Monty Python & The Holy Grail of them shouting, "Run away! Run away!"

CBS left out a major point from Dillion's research though: the fact that he was talking about a very specific and limited scenario:

In the event of a single, low-yield nuclear detonation in a major urban area...
SOURCE: Abstract published on Proceedings Of The Royal Society

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

They are deliberately trying to generate a fearful populace.

(I'm typing this in my bomb shelter eating iodine tablets and taping tin foil to the windows)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

beezzer

They are deliberately trying to generate a fearful populace.

(I'm typing this in my bomb shelter eating iodine tablets and taping tin foil to the windows)

your bomb shelter got a serious structural problem if it got windows

If a nuke hits near me i hope ill die from the initial blast and not from radiation, i'm slow anyways so i could neither duck or run in time

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
People might survive is hunkering down in a shelter.. you WANT them to "run away" and expose themselves. Rather they die quick than linger on sucking up precious resources.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Fear.

FEAR

Can't control the masses without a good, healthy dose of "gonna getcha!"

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Best I could do is amble, I might keep ahead of the geriatric crowd.
For those too young or comedically undernourished to understand run away:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That's just perfect, all one would have to do is nuke here, wait for everyone to run away, and nuke where everyone heading away are going according to what can be seen from a satellite or high flying surveillance aircraft.

There will be no escape for anyone anyway, just sit tight and die, or evolve into a one eyed one armed people eating zombie holocaust nightmare creature from the black nothingness in the sonshine.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Kudos.
Beat me to it.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Hmm.. I'm unsure just how many people can outrun a nuclear blast to begin with.

If by chance there is a visible blast nearby I'm going for cover first. Then if the blast doesn't get me it's full body poncho and gas mask time, then get outta Dodge. Not sure how the mask will work out but it's what we were trained to do. Others can "run away" if they choose.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
Best I could do is amble, I might keep ahead of the geriatric crowd.
For those too young or comedically undernourished to understand run away:

This is exactly what I thought...lol. but didn't want to post in fear of going off topic...but now that I think about it. Either way if you duck and cover or run away...its sadly comedic to think you'd survive the blast..

Edit: by the way..my name is Tim. So this scene was all the more hilarious.

edit on 17-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Bassago

Hmm.. I'm unsure just how many people can outrun a nuclear blast to begin with.

Yeah, that was exactly my thought when I read this. That's why I thought of the "Duck & Cover" propoganda films they showed kids in the 1950's. Most people figured the only point of them was to give kids the feeling they could survive nuclear war even though everyone knew they'd be dead.

I've been trying to get a YouTube clip of one of those old Duck & Cover clips embedded, but for some reason it doesn't work in preview... an extra backslash gets appended and it breaks things. Maybe it will work right when it's actually posted:

If it's not working here, you can view it on YouTube: Duck & Cover clip on YouTube

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Bigburgh

Asktheanimals

This is exactly what I thought...lol. but didn't want to post in fear of going off topic...but now that I think about it. Either way if you duck and cover or run away...its sadly comedic to think you'd survive the blast..

Not to worry, I would say it's definitely on topic for the thread. It's actually exactly what I was thinking when I started the thread... the Monty Python "Run away!" clip, the "Duck & Cover clip" and how the new alleged research was not likely to provide any better of a survival strategy than the really old video they showed kids. It is sadly comedic.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

if you have seen videos of a blast,the mushroom cloud goes up,then falls back down..thats the time you have to avoid the dust,particulates,fallout,etc

new topics

top topics

join