It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Plane Crashed Into Frozen Lake Killing At Least 55 People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

A Chinese plane crashed 10 seconds after take off. It crashed into a frozen lake in Mongolia and all 53 aboard were killed. At least 2 more people were killed when the plane or parts from it hit a building by the lake.

A China Eastern Airlines commuter jet crashed into a frozen lake in Inner Mongolia seconds after takeoff Sunday, and the Chinese government said all 53 aboard were killed.

Witnesses said they saw the plane break into flaming fragments, which ignited a house and several yachts.

The Canadian-made Bombardier CRJ200, with six crew members, took off from Baotou in the northern Chinese province of Inner Mongolia, about 560 kilometers (350 miles) west of Beijing. It was en route to Shanghai.

According to winesses the plane broke into flames and "the cause of the crash is not known". I can�t speculate on the cause of the crash, but it was a terrible tragedy no matter what caused it.

Update: New reports say smoke came from the plane before it exploded and then crashed. And at least 2 more people were killed on the ground.

Related News Sources:
53 drept i flystyrt i Kina (In norwegian...)
Aftenposten: 55 omkom i flystyrt (also in norwegian...)
BBC: China plane plunges into icy lake

[Edited on 2004/11/21 by Hellmutt]

new topics

join