It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staples cuts hours for part time employees

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

carewemust
Everyone who cares about this dilemma should just stop shopping at Staples...both in person and online.

Why? Staples did exactly what they should have done. They had/have a right to decide not to provide benefits to their employees and now they are forced to change the way they do business in order to keep that right. You forget why this is happening. This wouldn't have happened if Obamacare hadn't leaned on them.

This is a bad time to be forcing businesses to make these kinds of hard choices. These kinds of jobs were generally never meant to be well paying careers where you get benefits.

When companies like Staples go out of business, it also affects consumers who have fewer choices when they try to shop for the best prices. It also stinks when a store you have been loyal to (as a customer) and enjoyed shopping at for years just disappears. More and more stores have been disappearing from my area in the past few years and I don't like it.
edit on 12-1-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is nothing new... The people complaining most likely still have no idea how the health system works.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

Exactly. Why should health insurance be tied to employment and be expected to be provided for us is stupid to begin with. It doesn't work.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

When companies like Staples go out of business, it also affects consumers who have fewer choices when they try to shop for the best prices. It also stinks when a store you have been loyal to (as a customer) and enjoyed shopping at for years just disappears. More and more stores have been disappearing from my area in the past few years and I don't like it.

If companies go out of business and those people lose their jobs, it will also reduce income tax revenues pouring into government coffers. Unemployed people can't pay income taxes, and no taxes from the closed businesses either. Not only that, but those whom then become unemployed will also claim unemployment benefits, won't they?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Same thing happened to me, I arranged things to be able to get by on an absolute minimum of hours where I worked, in fact have been lowering my standard of living for several years because of layoffs and reductions in hours.

Now I am unemployed and can't even remain in the most low life living situation, so I'm basically homeless living in a trailer which I will be getting booted from soon because of municipal codes soon.

The only way to fix any of this is to toss it all in the trash and bite the bullet while we still have a bullet to bite, get out of the game and allow the game to come to an end for lack of participation by the suckers it wrings the life force from....

Ah Well, I know pretty much all of you can't get on without your useless overpriced trinkets, I-phones and Flat screen TV's, cars with stickers on the hood "no user serviceable parts inside", the latest stupid fad waste of money that will be nearly valueless in no time.

And then y'all keep popping kids without considering their future, let alone your own, while you sit with your mouths agape watching the latest stupid mental meanderings of the privileged ones and think everything is just peachy....

I'm ahead of you in falling, and I will get to the bottom before you and be climbing back up as I watch you all fall past me.

This entire life you lead is nothing but a lie, everything you are offered is merely a distraction to keep you from seeing the plain truth.

I mean no offense and don't mean to come across bitter or offend, but from here a lot of you look pretty dense.

Stop being slaves and live free by thinking ahead.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

Staples as a victim of a monstrously flawed law (Obamacare). Staples is doing what corporations are designed to do: make money. Obamacare was foisted on Americans by progressives wanting to control and reform society; the Obama administration did not allow for reading the law in advance nor for thoughtful debate. "'Sue' the whistleblower" should be complaining about Obamacare, not Staples.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Look at this positively: More part-time positions are being created, more jobs for America (albeit without insurance), and Obama desperately wants jobs for Americans?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
My sister is another person who now has a " full time job" that is capped at 29 hours. I guess we're supposed to work two jobs to earn what one job used to pay. I think employment figures have been tampered with and the stock market is ready to collapse. Obama will resign in disgrace( and laugh all the way to the bank) and the next stooge we have as POTUS will be a GOP one. Nothing will change, all we'll get is more empty promises and get told that we need a stronger government to ensure this kind of fraud never happens again.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

carewemust
Everyone who cares about this dilemma should just stop shopping at Staples...both in person and online. I had planned on going to Staples to pick up some office supplies tomorrow after church. Instead, I'll go to Office Max.

Big corporations don't care how many petitions are circulated, but they do care about actions that negatively affect revenue!
-cwm

OMG, I just read that Office Max was exempt from the ills of Obamacare! How lucky are you, the lonely one, who figured it out. I hope all the other corporations can figure it out as well. This will save so many jobs and health insurance policies. But thank you for your patronage. You have helped secure so many jobs from employers who already supplied health insurance and now can't!
edit on 12-1-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
What a bunch of crap! Shame on those guys!

You want to know what our company did? They lowered the amount of work hours required to qualify for full medical benefits so the part time workers WOUDN'T get screwed by Obama. Care.

Of course, our company cares more about it's people than it does about squeezing out every last tenth-of-a-penny of profit.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

And then they will also be without insurance and without a job.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

And what is your company might I ask?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well I am not sure that staples will be around much longer anyway. The place was already over priced which made me stay away.

]going out of buisness?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
Companies have been doing this for years. It isn't new because of Obamacare, you will just be seeing a lot more of it with Obamacare in action. Who can blame Staples? There are a ton of businesses who only provide insurance to their full time employees (usually 35/40 hours weekly). Some pay the full premiums for their full time employees. Some will pay partial premiums on part time employees after 1 year of employment (Wal-Mart).

Staples won't be the only ones using this loophole, so folks might as well get all of their "mad" out now. Companies said they would take this action if they were going to be forced to pay for insurance... you can argue whether it is right or wrong for them to do it, but it is still their choice (at least for now) and THEY DID warn folks that they would have to change things around if Obamacare passed. Nobody listened. Now some are shocked.

I feel bad for the woman and all that are affected, but other people have been working in places with the same policies she is just now experiencing for years. It is what it is and we will be seeing a lot more of it in the near future.

Quoting for truth, companies ALWAYS have ways around everything. The larger the company the more ways it will have to get off for free.

On the bright side, I am looking to score a PT job as we lost our shift differential and I'm down several thousand dollars for '14, guess I'll be hitting up Staples!
Derek

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
its gunna be the new way of jobs...a friend of my that works for a 'furtune 500' company..siad that in dec2013, the company changed thier policy on full time employees...untill this dec, as a full timer left, a part-timer filled that position and they hired another part-timer...now they have changed the ratio and as a full-timer leaves they will hire 1 or 2 part-timers. par-timers get no benifits (unless they want to pay 90%) and they also get less paid time off.

soon america will be a nation of part-time workers working in low paying jobs....say..didnt unemployment go down iin dec?!?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
thelibertarianrepublic.com... while not exactly related to the staples issue i think it ties in to what the OP wanted to get across, just wait tell these robots become more common in the fast food industry as i am sure its far cheaper in the long run to employ robots then it is to employ humans in these low skill jobs then we will really see the unemployment ratio raise as its not exactly hard to replace fast food staff vs highly trained staff if that makes sense

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
I subscribe to change.org and got this in my email.

I've worked as an Easy-Tech Representative for 9 years now, selling thousands of computers, protection plans, and services. I typically work 30-35 hours in a week, so when I was told that my hours would be cut, I was heartbroken. I recently got married and we have a baby on the way -- 25 hours a week is not enough to make ends meet, let alone start a family.

OK...Maybe someone can explain something to me...

This person is working 30-35 hours (Absent Healthcare Coverage)

Staples is looking to reduce hours in order to avoid paying Healthcare Coverage to 25 hours.

This person is married with "a baby on the way".

How will the birth/OBGYN/Pre-natal care be financed? And how will the new baby be insured?

On average pre-natal care and delivery runs between 14k-18k...that is how much it costs for Ultra-sounds etc. through actual birth.

How does this individual plan on paying for the birth of the new baby without healthcare coverage? And how will the new baby be covered once it is born?

If ACA was never implemented and Staples maintained this persons hours...this person would still need a new job that had healthcare.

At least with ACA, they can get coverage through subsidies until this individual figures out a way to align their career, compensation and benefits with the new family.

Another note...Before ACA, pregnancy was considered an absolute pre-existing condition. Women could not get coverage once they were pregnant, nor get coverage for up to 12 months after the baby was born..in case there was delayed complications from giving birth...and then anything that might be related to giving birth going forward was excluded from coverage even after that year post-birth.
edit on 14-1-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I guess this person was thinking that Staples was going to be forced to provide her with health care and never once though that Staples would be like just about ever other employer in the country and do what they are doing, so she evidently got pregnant thinking that she was going to be part of the special exception, either that or she thought that somehow she was going to get free health care out of Obamacare like so many other people.

I do know that she will now likely qualify for Medicaid and WIC and bunch of other "free" goodies if she just goes and applies for them.
edit on 14-1-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

You can't pass something that makes it too expensive to cover their employees and expect them to continue doing it.

You may want to do a little research into your statement. Nothing in the ACA raised the price of insurance the insurance companies did that on their own. So Romney who owns Staples is cutting hours to save a few bucks what a shock.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

More stupid people who don't think about the big picture. I'm having a baby oh goody goody. Don't ask me to help with your stupid decision. Can't pay shouldn't play.

Congrats now you've brought another mouth into the welfare class and expect all the bills to be paid for you .

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join