It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Agency Admits It Began Stockpiling Potassium Iodide Due to Fukushima

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This apparently confirms that they were in fact *worried* about the Japan meltdown.

The reference is right in a notice on the government website.

Gotta wonder how much genuine info is being kept secret ?

from Solicitation Number: spm2dp11r0005

Added: Apr 09, 2012 2:14 pm

•5. The use of this authority is necessary because the USAMMA has submitted a MILSTRP for this item to ensure that critical operational forces are protected in the event of nuclear fallout. The recent earthquake in Japan in March of 2011 and the resultant nuclear crisis has renewed interest in this item..

Pentagon Agency Admits It Began Stockpiling Potassium Iodide Due to Fukushima

Radiation leaks from nuclear plant “renewed interest” in iodide, agency said in 2012

A federal bid notice reveals that a Pentagon agency began stockpiling potassium iodide in 2012 due to its concerns over the Fukushima nuclear crisis, shedding light on why the Dept. of Health and Human Services is now ordering 14 million doses of iodide.

The Defense Logistics Agency posted a solicitation on FedBizOpps in 2012 asking contractors for 75,000 packages of potassium iodide tablets because the “recent earthquake in Japan in March of 2011 and the resultant nuclear crisis has renewed interest in this item.”

^^^^^ link to the solicitation ^^^^^

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

So, no the question becomes ... what is the critical operational forces they are concerned for? Are they talking about the US military stationed in the Pacific operational theatre, specifically Japan, or do they have a much broader area of concern?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Oh.. Yeah.. I was just doing a little math here and wondering the same thing.

My google look showed Southern California has over 22 Million people. 14 Million doses leaves me with a burning question...no pun intended?

Who are the lucky SOB's to get their dose and who are the 'rest' who get a placebo or just told 'sorry, closed for business...try again later'?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I bought enough doses for several people right after the Fukushima disaster. Not so much because of Fukushima, but because there is a nuclear power plant SW of Dallas. I got them just in case....or was it to rake people over the coals on ebay...I can't remember which.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

--Unless it's for the military who are entering the contaminated area/waters, then that I clearly understand--

But when the government downplays people's concerns over radiation here in the U.S., a person has to think what is wrong with this picture when you now have the government order 14 million doses of iodide.

Kinda contradicts itself IMO--

Tell the American people that there is nothing to worry about, you're just being paranoid and over acting.
And yet at the same time, TPTB themselves are doing just that and then some by taking precautions to protect themselves from possible radiation

So, if they are ordering iodine, maybe we should too....just to be on the safe side
And/or eat foods that contain it

edit on 10-1-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
They must being restocking their inventories, those pills must have expiration date

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Of course, the other thing to consider is that when the buzz was all about the FEMA regions getting stocked. One was the FEMA 3 and the other was the Pacific Rim. The supply items being stocked for the Pacific Rim had two possible uses - plague or nuclear disaster. But if these potassium iodide pills are for the general public ... then they are way understocking. So, again, like you, who are these pills for and where exactly.

That might tell us more about the extent or likely extent of trouble with Fukushima.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Stuff only works if you start taking it ahead of time, pre-exposure.

So any pills taken after seeing these high levels and getting contaminated would be just a placebo. These would be for people expecting to either go in harm's way or be placed there accidentally.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Indigent
They must being restocking their inventories, those pills must have expiration date

Hmmm.

But why do they even bring up Japan in the solicitation ?

I wonder what their inventory levels were before ?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I just was trowing a smoke screen so i could buy my pills first, we are doom

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

PI hasn't been shown to degrade over time.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

It doesn't, but the other things holding the pill together will. So, they replace them.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
An order of 12 million for a population of 313 million+ ?

Gotta wonder who's on "the list".

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
FederalBizOps page for this request was back on April 9. 2012

Solicitation Number:
spm2dp11r0005
Notice Type:
Solicitation
J&A Statutory Authority:
FAR 6.302-1(c) - Brand name
Synopsis:
Added: Dec 12, 2011 10:21 am
POTASSIUM IODIDE TABLETS, USP, 130 MG POTASSIUM
IODIDE, INDIVIDUALLY SEALED IN FOIL WRAP, 14S
"IOSAT" NDC51803-0001-01
AAc "L"; u/i "pg" (14's indiv. sealed)
Added: Apr 09, 2012 2:14 pm
Source

At the bottom of the Federal Request is this:

Added: Aug 23, 2012 2:14 pm
Solicitation SPM2DP11R0005 is cancelled in its entirety.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I got some Potassium Iodide today. Now I'm safe from Fukushima! Well, maybe...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

What things holding pills together? Do you mean capsules or what are you talking about?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The PI isn't for the public. It's for the Military/Law enforcement. Several doses to maintain them for a while.
The government doesn't care about you.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The lack of information from main stream sources in regards to the crisis is absolutely absurd.

The results of the event can be seen across the globe and if it wasn’t for these sites such as ATS, we would possibly never know.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is worse than Chernobyl incident.

Its been completely downplayed..

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

EA006

The PI isn't for the public. It's for the Military/Law enforcement. Several doses to maintain them for a while.
The government doesn't care about you.

Exactly, hence the pills being for the military/law enforcement (or, first line of defense and considered 'critical personnel). The [political] government doesn't care about them either, they are 'critical personnel' because they serve as the cushion that protects tptb from the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This seems to be some information that ties it into the Japanese disaster. It at least got the pentagon to think that there could be a SHTF that needs to be prepared for. We are not the only ones trying to get prepared, the government is doing it. I only have a dozen Iodine pills left, I have been taking them occasionally and my daughter was taking them for a while too. I should invest in another bottle I suppose, I have enough iodorol left for about four months at about one every week to two weeks. I try to keep certain things in stock buying them ahead of time. I should have at least eight doses for my family and the grandchildren in stock in case something happens. That isn't that expensive of a precaution. An earthquake could trash a nuclear power plant somewhere close enough by that the fallout could cause a need for these pills. It can't hurt to get another bottle.

It's not like I never use these occasionally when I feel I need a boost. A bottle of a hundred twenty lasts a long time, maybe three years.
edit on 10-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join