It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50%+ of you are going to loss your job next 10 years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

This guy knows what's up.

You don't ban robotics. You support it. Marx was right (a phrase to never say on ATS) except his mind was too primitive to envision machines (just like mine is too primitive to envision a workable consciousness amalgamation in which individuality is dissolved yet maintained through AI governance). Once machine labor takes over healthcare, law, manufacturing, agriculture, and service based industries then government will no longer need to exist. I know it sounds scary and I know it sounds weird but just think about what will happen if corporations own these machines instead of them being publicly owned and benefited.

Imagine camps for people who have no purpose so that they do not loiter, sit idly on the street, and bother the rich. Imagine camps where slaved robots keep people in their borders and boundaries only to keep them barely fed. Imagine feeling trapped, helpless and useless. Imagine pills forced upon you to keep you docile and out of the way of the owners of the capital producing machines.

Contrast that to a world where everyone is paid based off of machine labor to the extent that they can travel well, eat well, and live well without a worry in the world. Where machine and human intellect meld and cohabitate to the extent that our species evolves in a self guided, totally customizable future where in which we decide what it means to be human or to strive to be more. Art, Science, Theatre, Music, Mathmatics, Physics, and Spirituality could thrive in such a way that it would feel like a story book fable.

Which society would you desire? The one we have now is leading towards one of the options and there will be a small window to change that course once capitalism attempts an incomplete oroboros. Instead of infinity where in which the rich get richer and the poor stay entrapped in the system to keep them poor and medicated...we can still achieve a free society in which all citizens are given their due based upon the labor of the machines and thus given the freedom to explore what it means to be human.
edit on 8-1-2014 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
My suggestion: learn how to fix and operate robots.

If they installed a robot next to me on an assembly line -- I'd be learning as much as I can about it and how to keep it running. Robots are only valuable if they are in working order.

that is the OLDEST, most PLAYED OUT, and LAME excuse..

Automation? how about the history of it?

There will be less repair people for the machines than the number of displaced workers. example.

A factory needs 50 people to do the job. Then they bring in 2 robots that do the same work. Do you really think it takes 48 robot repair people?

And don't even go there with the "what about building the robots" nonsense.. remember, robots are making things, even other robots.

I guess this whole concept is one you haven't given much thought.. post knee-jerk.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If anyone wants a job for life get into the care industry seeing with the ageing population will need looking after, I really can't see any robot doing that.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I'm a proofreader/editor. Until they figure out how to write programs that can divine what someone is trying to say with their text, I won't be replaced. The problem is that I'm not part of the younger generation who obviously haven't learned how to read, write, or spell anything to save their souls, so I still have a fairly competitive field.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I say 'Bring on the robotics!'

In my ideal world, there wouldn't be any fear of maintaining a job. People would not have to degrade themselves to do the bottom-of-the-barrel jobs day after day just to keep afloat. Let robots handle as much as possible, and keep a small number of employees to supervise and perform maintenance. Surely that would be cheaper in the eyes of a company; no need to pay a robot that can work 24 hours a day after all.

Add a form of taxation onto companies that use these robots, and split that money to those who have effectively been replaced by automations. Just imagine a world where the unemployed are able to live comfortably, and those with jobs do not have to dread redundancy. In the long run, any companies using robotics would not be paying any more than they usually do now; the taxation costs would make up the same costs as it would be to maintain a large workforce of employees.

Of course, there will still be jobs that require human interaction. I suppose they'd remain largely unchanged until robotics advances to the point where even they can be replaced.

Perhaps I have not given it much thought yet, but I really hope society turns out this way in the near future even if it seems a bit lazy on humanity's part.
edit on 9/1/2014 by Draco211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Once again, a good time to arm yourselves with science. Check out this:
techcrunch.com...

The DIY revolution means that people can now print their own 3D models, build their own websites and apps, and even build their own mobile devices and custom computers using things like Raspberry Pi. The Modbot team taking part in this year’s TechCrunch Battlefield at CES 2014 wants to do the same for robotics – not hobby robotics, but serious, full-fledged industrial and commercial robot building.

Do you see the chance? You don't want to miss it. So your boss fires you all, and replaces you all with robots. the question is, do you have your robot to start producing your own goods, and forming a local economy with other small scale robot owners? (so no one buys from bosses company anymore) If you do, its the dawn of a cool new age. If you don't, well that's big trouble, as you say.

edit: I gotta say though, big trouble for every one, including your boss. The criminal mind justifies itself by saying "everyone is a criminal" but acts as if its the only criminal on earth, thinking the bad news will never come around to them. Replacing employees with robots is super profitable, if a few companies do it. But if they ALL do, well then there's no more customers except for a few other vastly rich robot owners, who can get everything they need from their own bots. So the economy collapses, and every one loses.

edit on 9-1-2014 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

thesmokingman
Loss? Come on now.....LOSE. That right there is an example of why. The education system is letting people out of school that cannot even spell.
I hate to be "that guy", but it is really hard to take this thread seriously with such an error not only in the title, but through the whole thing.

You know something, spelling comes pretty easy to me. Always has. I have friends who are absolutely rotten at spelling. Their writing looks like a five year old attempted to write something.

But, I do my damnedest to not correct them. I simply realize that I am better at it than they are, but that I too make mistakes. Occasionally, not often, and yet still I do.

Is it really necessary to poke the OP in the eye over something as silly as using the phonetic spelling of a word that is in fact the incorrect spelling? Frustrating? Sure. I get that.

"I'm good at spelling, why can't the rest of the world be too? It's just so simple of a thing, isn't it?"

But, the simple fact is, nobody is good at everything. I *blow* at debating and diplomacy. Being good at spelling is hardly recompense. It also does precious little towards my atrocious grammar. Yet still, I can spell relatively well.

Is it at all possible that you could simply *try* to find it in yourself to not trash an entire thought process of a human being, represented by this thread, simply because of an error in spelling?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

A factory needs 50 people to do the job. Then they bring in 2 robots that do the same work. Do you really think it takes 48 robot repair people?

Depends on how many of the 48 are rioters who spend their free time smashing up robots

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

No, they don't need 48 robot repair people -- I'm saying I'm going to be one of the two that does stay. Work hard and make yourself as valuable as you can be.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

No, they don't need 48 robot repair people -- I'm saying I'm going to be one of the two that does stay. Work hard and make yourself as valuable as you can be.

Don't be naive, there will be robots for fixing other robots. Robots building robots, when families create colonies is the time when the looming disaster should be visible for everyone to see. Imagine your grandchild having to work his ass off while others live a life in a carefree luxurious society, your grandchild isn't going to get ahead in life because part of his time will be spent on bare necessities while the other society will have all the time in the world to develop.
edit on 9-1-2014 by spiritspeak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

tridentblue
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Do you see the chance? You don't want to miss it. So your boss fires you all, and replaces you all with robots. the question is, do you have your robot to start producing your own goods, and forming a local economy with other small scale robot owners? (so no one buys from bosses company anymore) If you do, its the dawn of a cool new age. If you don't, well that's big trouble, as you say.

edit on 9-1-2014 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

I imagine this is going to happen for most western countries. I believe the bosses by then have ranches full of robots providing in all their needs. And I expect land and resources to be shared between those in power. At some point people will have mining robot armies and take away all the metals needed in a short time and the small scale robot owners will be bummed out. Not to mention cheated out of resources. Meanwhile the bosses go out into space and mine more for their future children and have robots build spacehomes while others rot in primitive circumstances. And the bosses will be the ones with the nukes and other weaponry.

If anything, this is the time for the world to unite and build robots together so there will be enough for everyone. It would be an extreme waste of life if governments or nonprofit organizations don't guide this right.
edit on 9-1-2014 by spiritspeak because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join