It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

160 year-old Documents Intentionally Destroyed in Franklin County, N.C

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
- In the Summer of 2013 a new Clerk of Court in Franklin County discovered a trove (an entire roomful) of documents, some dating back to 1840, in a previously sealed room in the Franklin County, North Carolina Court House.

- Recognizing the historical value of these materials, she contacted the local historical society to assist in reviewing the materials, preserving them, and inventorying the materials.

- The Local historical group enthusiastically poured themselves into the project, mobilizing volunteers and the whole community – securing space to work, materials, and finances – in order to catalog and preserve the bounty of record books, photographs, deeds, chattel records, land grants, deeds, wills, personal correspondence, and countless other materials from a wide variety of government departments throughout the county. (This room had apparently become the “graveyard” for old records, and no one bothered to investigate it for many, many decades.)

- In August of this year, (2013) the Local Historians – realizing they may be beyond their depth in regard to the value of some of these materials, contacted the North Carolina Department of Archives, seeking guidance on proper preservation techniques and value assessment.

The story goes on to say that the North Carolina Department of Archives immediately took over the project and that some time later the documents were destroyed. 

The author then surmises that the documents were destroyed as these records, were a paper trail associated with one or more now-prominent, politically connected NC families that found its wealth and success through theft, intimidation, and outrageous corruption.

Read the full story here

stumblingintheshadowsofgiants.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by flammadraco

Oops I've put in the wrong forum, can a MOD move it please?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

The author then surmises that the documents were destroyed as these records, were a paper trail associated with one or more now-prominent, politically connected NC families that found its wealth and success through theft, intimidation, and outrageous corruption.

That is based purely on speculation as stated in the source.

If your gonna speculate why not make it more sexy.
I think they burned proof of giants that were alive or maybe underground reptilian bases

In all seriousness this is both sad and dodgy as hell, hopefully the local historical society has pics and notes on what was in there and we can get some sort of idea of what it was all about

S&F

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Just the fact they were intentionally destroyed, means that someone was covering something up.

Lesson to be learned by all.
When you find any old documents, no matter what, MAKE COPIES. Several even.

Didn't any of the original people read any of them? Start talking!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

No idea if copies were made, but nothing in the source saying so.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I read the authors updated timeline (I think) here:

stumblingintheshadowsofgiants.wordpress.com...

It just got more unclear what happened. My guess is when you get that many government agencies involved, nothing good will happen. Too many bureaucratic cockroaches with a pseudo-say in the matter resulted in a loss for all.

My hats off to the community who donated so much to preserve the history. It's sad what finally transpired.

top topics

join