It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this make me a Liberal?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Look, you can say what you want, but the 2nd Amendment in no way states that you have a right to bear any and all arms.

There are currently numerous different types of arms that you are either prohibited from possessing or have very restrictive guidelines associated with them, like bazookas, rocket propelled grenades, machine guns, hand grenades, land mines, bombs, nuclear and/or chemical weapons, etc... and the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld those restrictions as being "Constitutional."

Based on that alone, I'd have to say that your argument insisting that the 2nd Amendment is somehow "all-inclusive" has no legal foundation and is pretty much based on personal opinion and ideology.

IMO, it is indeed inevitable that sooner or later, the 2nd Amendment will indeed be re-visited and in all likelihood, modified to some degree. When that does eventually happen, I doubt it will be me who has their floor pulled out from under them.

I am in no way afraid of the issue of amending it and in case you hadn't noticed, a clear majority of americans are also in favor of tighter guns restrictions.

If I were you, I'd be careful of what I ask for. You just might get it!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The way I understand it "liberals" believe that people are inherently good, but sometimes do bad things when they get in situations where they don't have any other choices. They need to be educated and nurtured by superior people so they don't get into those situations.

"Conservatives" believe that people are inherently bad, and need to be controlled by superior people who are smarter and more morally intelligent.

Either way, it involves somebody thinking they're superior to somebody else.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Flatfish

Look, you can say what you want, but the 2nd Amendment in no way states that you have a right to bear any and all arms.

It doesn't have to as the right isn't designed to state I can have this this and this. It states, plainly and clearly, the right to bear arms. It does not have restrictions, it does not state one can bear this, but not that.
It is Progressives and the controlling Govt infected with Progressives that have turned it to what we have today.

Flatfish
There are currently numerous different types of arms that you are either prohibited from possessing or have very restrictive guidelines associated with them, like bazookas, rocket propelled grenades, machine guns, hand grenades, land mines, bombs, nuclear and/or chemical weapons, etc... and the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld those restrictions as being "Constitutional."

Good hell. Another explanation needed as to what arms are, as opposed to munitions.
Machine guns are not prohibited to own. Maybe, just maybe you should know the laws, before you yet again state untruths.
And it appears that there are numerous laws being struck down and challenged, in regards to firearms. And the results are in the favor of freedom to the person.

Flatfish
Based on that alone, I'd have to say that your argument insisting that the 2nd Amendment is somehow "all-inclusive" has no legal foundation and is pretty much based on personal opinion and ideology.

Seeing that it is, and many many more learned people than myself have pointed this out.
Seeing that items like fully automatic firearms were fine to be sold as new to the general public up until the NFA law, which went around the 2nd, shows that there was a need to restrict firearms by the Govt in regards to knowing that the law afforded the right to own them first.

Flatfish
IMO, it is indeed inevitable that sooner or later, the 2nd Amendment will indeed be re-visited and in all likelihood, modified to some degree. When that does eventually happen, I doubt it will be me who has their floor pulled out from under them.

It has been modified, Unconstitutionally that is.

Flatfish
I am in no way afraid of the issue of amending it and in case you hadn't noticed, a clear majority of americans are also in favor of tighter guns restrictions.

And what evidence is that??? Maybe the 'scientific polls' polls conducted by the Brady Group, sampling 300 people in the New York area?

Oh, maybe you are going off of firearms sales over the last several years. Or, the amount of CCW permits applied for. Or the statistics showing ownership as a whole is up and rising.

Yeah, I am sure that you are right.

Flatfish
If I were you, I'd be careful of what I ask for. You just might get it!

I say bring it. I would love to see people like you and other Anti-Gun Rights people get floored and left with nothing to talk about.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Blue Shift
The way I understand it "liberals" believe that people are inherently good, but sometimes do bad things when they get in situations where they don't have any other choices. They need to be educated and nurtured by superior people so they don't get into those situations.

"Progressives" believe that people are inherently bad, and need to be controlled by superior people who are smarter and more morally intelligent.

Either way, it involves somebody thinking they're superior to somebody else.

Corrected that for you.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

macman
It doesn't have to as the right isn't designed to state I can have this this and this. It states, plainly and clearly, the right to bear arms. It does not have restrictions, it does not state one can bear this, but not that.
It is Progressives and the controlling Govt infected with Progressives that have turned it to what we have today.

OK. First, I feel the need to point out that we all know what the "progressives" are really up to with "gun control".

Next, unfortunately, they have found a good way to hide it. Because regardless of what the Constitution says or what it does or does not mean to say, the vast majority of people are going to be opposed to people having the right to own (for example) an RPG or a grenade launcher or whatever.

We know the founders intended for us to have the right to own weapons but arguing for unrestricted weapon ownership is going to get us nowhere. People are going to think we're crazy. Can you honestly say you'd want anyone you know (regardless of their sanity) owning a nuke?

The problem is that the gun grabbers have basically decided they're going to try and lump an AR-15 in with things like rocket launchers, missiles and hand grenades. Clearly, this weapon does not belong in that category.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join