It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H1N1 kills 6 people, leaves 14 critically ill in Texas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Pimpintology

I am for real how on earth do you get Spanish Flu from this?

Swine Flu.

*DOUBLE FACE PALM*

The flu going around now is H1N1. The Spanish flu was........H1N1.

The swine flu is.........................................................H1n1.

Seriously, do you people research or do you all have adhd?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

badgerprints

nixie_nox
reply to post by badgerprints

This is what the general public doesn't understand, every flu doesn't target the same people.

The reason that the 1918 flu was so deadly was because it targeted young people. If that scale were to occur today, it would cripple society as we know it.

This is a variant of the 1918 flu, but there Is herd immunity. But this is a problem because it does target young adults.

Thank god for herd immunity.
I'd hate to see how society would react if things were on the scale that they were in 1918.

All exercises, precautions and emergency response standards set by the CDC is based on the 1918 scenario. Because, well that 1918 flu really sucked.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well right now I'm writing from my hospital room - I have H1N1.

I'm fine and I will be going home soon. It was bad but didn't kill me. I was just getting over another illness and had a VERY weak immune system. Probably helped and hurt at the same time.

I do want people to know one thing - THIS VIRUS DOESN'T ALWAYS PRODUCE A FEVER. In fact, I had a low temp. I did a search on ATS and there was a whole thread about this topic.

This is the ONLY place I found this info. They keep listing the symptoms as fever which may or may not be true,

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Daughter2
Well right now I'm writing from my hospital room - I have H1N1.

I'm fine and I will be going home soon. It was bad but didn't kill me. I was just getting over another illness and had a VERY weak immune system. Probably helped and hurt at the same time.

I do want people to know one thing - THIS VIRUS DOESN'T ALWAYS PRODUCE A FEVER. In fact, I had a low temp. I did a search on ATS and there was a whole thread about this topic.

This is the ONLY place I found this info. They keep listing the symptoms as fever which may or may not be true,

I'm glad you are ok.
Can you tell us how they treated you and what symptoms made you decide to go to the hospital ?
Did your doctor actually discuss your immune system and if it made a difference?

Hope you are out soon and have a better new year.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This link to another thread...37% of H1N1 ...No Fever may be of interest.

I was unaware of this.
As the previous poster pointed out. Most people don't know about it.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Did you have the flu shot this year? I haven't had one for over 20 years and haven't had the flu since I had my last flu shot, but this is kinda scary. Glad you're doing better.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I went to the ER because I couldn't breath or hardly move. I have severe asthma but I knew what was happening was very different than asthma. It wasn't really a wheeze, I just couldn't breath. I had a really bad stomach ache too.

The doctor's didn't discuss anything with me- they pop in for like two minutes. In fact, it was the respiratory therapist who was the first person to tell me I had H1N1. They gave me the antiviral drug Tamiflu.

And no, I didn't get a flu shot.

edit on December 27th 2013 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

nixie_nox

Pimpintology

I am for real how on earth do you get Spanish Flu from this?

Swine Flu.

*DOUBLE FACE PALM*

The flu going around now is H1N1. The Spanish flu was........H1N1.

The swine flu is.........................................................H1n1.

Seriously, do you people research or do you all have adhd?

You should probably keep face palming until you get it. Or YOU actually do some research.

en.wikipedia.org...

The 2009 flu pandemic or swine flu was an influenza pandemic, and the second of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus (the first of them being the 1918 flu pandemic), albeit in a new version. First described in April 2009, the virus appeared to be a new strain of H1N1 which resulted when a previous triple reassortment of bird, swine and human flu viruses further combined with a Eurasian pig flu virus, leading to the term "swine flu".

The OP edited the thread mentioning the Spanish Flu. This is the Swine flu a completely new virus NOT the Spanish flu.

Here is an update.

Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area

Officials are reporting a spike in flu cases in Texas with more than a dozen deaths in the Houston area. The primary culprit: the H1N1 strain, also known as the swine flu.

dfw.cbslocal.com...

Second time around is always more lethal. Although it is still only the Swine flu. My friend had it and was in the ER for a couple of days. Her main issue was dehydration. She didn't need a respirator. Although some did during the original outbreak.

Just so you know H1 or Influenza type A is a common flu. There are many subtypes. Just because it falls under that type does not make it the same flu.

Influenza type A viruses are divided into subtypes and named on the basis of two proteins on the surface of the virus. There are 16 known HA subtypes and 9 known NA subtypes. Many different combinations of HA and NA proteins are possible. Only some influenza A subtypes (i.e., H1N1, H1N2, and H3N2) are currently in general circulation among people including the 2009 Swine Flu outbreak. Only influenza A viruses infect birds and all known subtypes of influenza A viruses can infect birds. However, there are substantial genetic differences between the influenza A subtypes that typically infect birds and those that infect both humans and birds.

www.vymedic.com...

edit on 27-12-2013 by Pimpintology because: of formatting purposes.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

badgerprints

truthseeker84
My younger bro caught H1N1 during the outbreak.

So anyway, long story short, he got it, we freaked out, he was taken into the hospital, they solved the problem with a take home medicine.

We were all living in the same house, no one caught the virus besides him.

Yeah,
Kids seem to do better with it. Their immune system seems to be less severely reactive.

I know people get it. Just seems to be a lot of dead folks in one spot at one time for the flu.

Actually, kids and young adults with strong immune systems do NOT do better with H1N1 - they get hit harder - plus, the death toll from the 2009 H1N1 pandemic was much higher than people and the MSM acknowledged. That said, looks like Montgomery County might be dealing with something else.

...the 2009 H1N1 virus has a greater impact on younger adults and older children than seasonal flu strains typically do

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

soficrow

badgerprints

truthseeker84
My younger bro caught H1N1 during the outbreak.

So anyway, long story short, he got it, we freaked out, he was taken into the hospital, they solved the problem with a take home medicine.

We were all living in the same house, no one caught the virus besides him.

Yeah,
Kids seem to do better with it. Their immune system seems to be less severely reactive.

I know people get it. Just seems to be a lot of dead folks in one spot at one time for the flu.

Actually, kids and young adults with strong immune systems do NOT do better with H1N1 - they get hit harder - plus, the death toll from the 2009 H1N1 pandemic was much higher than people and the MSM acknowledged. That said, looks like Montgomery County might be dealing with something else.

...the 2009 H1N1 virus has a greater impact on younger adults and older children than seasonal flu strains typically do

If you read the context of the thread you will see that the point you are making is the same point I was making.
I should have noted that very young kids do better.
I have noted in several posts in this thread that people with strong immune systems are hit harder by H1N1.

A part of the reason I started this thread was that very few people seemed to be aware of the H1N1 virus that is prevalent this season. The other was that the actual public knowledge about the virus is really pretty sketchy.

We tend to learn as we go and as we learn new things we find older opinions were in error due to learning new facts.

I encourage people to have a bit of patience with each other in this thread because all we are really trying to do here is get more information available.

A lot of the information out on H1N1 is confusing. I actually read several articles myself on H1N1, swine flu, the spanish Flu and came up with wrong information in published articles. (not wikipedia)

Seems like a spreadsheet would be useful in keeping up with all of the names and acronyms, what they are attributed too and who they affect...and when.
edit on 28-12-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Same for me. I have asthma as well and the combination was frightening.

I did get the flu vaccine in October, a requirement since I volunteer at a hospital. My symptoms started last Saturday and made for a very grueling week. My husband got sick a day after me (he did not have the vaccine). We've made it through the worst of it. The ER doctor I saw (in Travis county) said the vaccine hasn't been helping much lately.

I urge everyone to take proper precautions for yourself. Limit your exposure where you can, be mindful of what you touch/any sick people around you, and wash hands regularly. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

ceruleanblue

Same for me. I have asthma as well and the combination was frightening.

I did get the flu vaccine in October, a requirement since I volunteer at a hospital. My symptoms started last Saturday and made for a very grueling week. My husband got sick a day after me (he did not have the vaccine). We've made it through the worst of it. The ER doctor I saw (in Travis county) said the vaccine hasn't been helping much lately.

I urge everyone to take proper precautions for yourself. Limit your exposure where you can, be mindful of what you touch/any sick people around you, and wash hands regularly. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

So you had the vaccine and still got H1N1?

I wonder what percentage of people actually get sick even if they had the vaccine.

Do you think it was less severe because you had the vaccine?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

They didn't tell me the subtype. The doctor diagnosed me even before the swab results were back and just said Influenza A.

I don't think the vaccine made much of a difference in lessening symptoms, at least for me.

I recall during my last hospital shift, a lady coughed wide-open into the elevator I was in and I thought, Phew! Glad I got the vaccine. I got sick almost exactly 48 hours later.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

ceruleanblue

They didn't tell me the subtype. The doctor diagnosed me even before the swab results were back and just said Influenza A.

That doesn't sound very smart.
How could he know without the test results.
Is that common?
Some might see that as a cover up.
edit on 28-12-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well I hope this is starting to settle down. I live in a little town in Montgomery Texas and it seems that everyone here is sick with something.

I live within spitting distance from this place

The Westlin Bunker

I had a job interview for a sub sea robotics company in this building. I was told by interviewing manager that NASA rents the top floor of the building. They keep frozen DNA samples of every astronauts that has gone into space. Makes me wonder what else NASA they have frozen in there and if something has slipped out.

Not sure

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Just a lot of people to die in one hospital of the same thing in a few weeks.

Reason they call it the Medical Military Industrial Complex.

Like I said in a previous post....More than just rocket science came over on project paperclip.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Sorry - a bit off topic but since I have flu symptoms thought it would be ok to post here.

Why don't natural remedies work for some? What did people do back in the day before antibiotics to get rid of an ear or sinus infection, or the flu (although the last one is a virus).

What I want to know is - are these things working when people use them but it's so gradual and slight that we dismiss it as ineffective since we're used to the quick fix (antibiotics)? Or has antibiotic use screwed up their effectiveness? Do they work well for some but not others? Maybe the flu won't respond to natural cures and perhaps the natural cures may actually just prolong the onset?

What I'm used - get really sick, succumb to a doctor visit, get better fast. Get really sick, fever runs a few days and I'm better. What's happening - felt it coming on, began natural remedies to get in front of it, has lingered and is trying to get worse.

Personal example:
Have had an ear infection which is better but still hanging on by a thread while I use a natural remedy. This was added to an already present intermittent fever and feeling run down. Fever 2-weeks ago would be 99 or 100. Now when it pops up it's 101-102. Then it goes away. Each time it comes back I have more symptoms. Last night - out of the blue fever spikes, body aches so bad it hurt to touch my skin, headache, lung heaviness, nausea, and extreme weakness (sounds like flu). But - woke up fine. Now I'm feeling it starting all over again. What sort of illness comes and then goes away for a few hours or even a day only to return as more symptomatic?

My concern - maybe these natural remedies are making it worse. Meaning a fever is supposed to burn it all off so perhaps I'm not allowing that (inadvertently) via the remedies. Maybe it's not quite enough to kill this germ and it's mutating to become stronger.

Someone out there may be able to shed some light I'm hoping because I've never had this happen. I also don't get sick often so maybe this is normal.

Taking: zinc and vit C losengers & 1000 mg emergen-c, tons of garlic (and I'm mean over the top), probiotics, organic honey with a tea that has healing herbs, and other vitamins/multi mineral tab. Cut out dairy, tried chicken noodle soup, etc. I might get some grapefruit seed extract but not until I've had some feedback.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Dianec

Why don't natural remedies work for some? What did people do back in the day before antibiotics to get rid of an ear or sinus infection, or the flu (although the last one is a virus).

The answer is probably the basic genetics and environment combo. Perhaps if you didn't eat well you would be in critical condition and not just at home sick.

Before antibiotics people did die

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I think the key part is trying to keep your immune system up before you get something. Everyone in my home just got over the flu. NO shots we just did it naturally. Plenty of water and rest. Would only give a fever reducer when absolutely necessary. Wanted the fever to burn it out as much as possible. We did keep in touch our local Pediatrician for our children during. Good news everyone is well. I try and take immune boosters during cold season of course nothing is 100% fool proof but it does help.

I would suggest you look into water fasting when you are sick a quick google will reveal plenty of studies on this topic.

Good luck

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Will try the water fast. It sort of feels like trying to run a marathon. Your ahead and your opponent passes you for awhile and then you switch spots again. Maybe that's how this works - slowly but surely. Thanks for the feedback.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join