It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Buys the Bigdog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Google just bought up Boston Dynamics, the creators of the, common to these threads, Bigdog (LS3), Petman, Atlas and wildcat. Google states that Boston Dynamics will still fulfill it's contractual obligations to the DARPA funded programs but after that it looks like the DoD will have to look else where for it's cutting edge killer robots.

It might, therefore, ease some worries that Google—whose corporate motto is “don’t be evil”—will wean Boston Dynamics off military contracts. Google says they’ll honor the firm’s current workload but won’t pursue future military funding.

The question that has yet to be answered is what Google plans to do with it's latest robotics acquisition (Boston Dynamics isn't the only robotics company it owns) and how the investments into A.I. will play into that?

singularityhub.com...

defensetech.org...-21977

Dude, like that would be awesome to take those super heavy boards to the beach.....bro.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So who here thinks that Google will end up like Pixar's Buy n Large?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Just imagine a small army (50-100) of these things coming at you all at once. Each one saying in a mechanical voice, "Mine...Mine...Mine..." over and over.

I would be terrified!
edit on 17-12-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Definitely a brown shorts kind of day.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is one of the scariest things I have read on the internet since all of the NSA stuff. I just keep thinking of that movie, iRobot....

edit on 12/17/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Skynet.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Yeah,.
more like skynet
they will become conscious and then rule us

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Already posted...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
Just imagine a small army (50-100) of these things coming at you all at once. Each one saying in a mechanical voice, "Mine...Mine...Mine..." over and over.

I would be terrified!
edit on 17-12-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

Haha I said something similar in another thread on the ol' big dog.. just hearing half a dozen of those menacing mechanical monsters encroaching on your position... that whirring, disjointed anxious sounding buzzing.. you'd throw whatever it was you were imbibing out the window and get prostrate in no time.

the sound is as much what stirs my fear as the image...

and now google... google have them. androids and robots and US as the product to be exploited. Google will one day be what people will call the police force. They will sell us things, keep us in order, and disappear us to the whirring tune of sinister intent... do no evil, the robot says.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
please use this ongoing thread thank you

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed

---

[ETA] sorry my mistake, ATS allows duplicate threads to run concurrent if one thread is in the breaking news forums as the one I linked to above does.

thread open

Sauron,
Super Moderator

edit on 17/12/2013 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Thanks, I figured the military projects forum was the place to talk about it, since DARPA lost it's ability to push the cutting edge in military robotics. I'm sure the Japanese would love to fill that gap though.

top topics

join