It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher to student: You can't be Santa -- you're black!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

antonia

TheWrightWing

Saint Nicholas was a real man, he was also called Sinter Klass, or, Santa Claus.

Fake?

Does a fat man with 12 reindeer come to your house every christmas and drop new electronics under your tree? Does he make it rain benjamins down your chimney? No! Then there is no Santa. We are not talking about a historical figure called Saint Nicholas. We are talking about the jolly old fat man pouring it up under your tree-He does not exist.
edit on 16-12-2013 by antonia because: (no reason given)

Does mickey mouse exist? Why isn't there white mickey mouse!!!???

/s

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Wait what ?

Am I not on ATS ?

Where people believe in the chubacabra,bigfoot,aliens,repitalians, lochness monster, and a whole other host of things.

But draw the line at 'Santa aint real'.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Would a white kid be allowed to play Shaka Zulu, Nelson Mandela, or Cassius Clay?? I doubt it, but nobody would throw a hissy-fit over the fact.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well, none of those are real either dear. I drew the line long before Santa.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Tusks
Would a white kid be allowed to play Shaka Zulu, Nelson Mandela, or Cassius Clay?? I doubt it, but nobody would throw a hissy-fit over the fact.

Big difference here: Santa is fake, all the people you just listed are/were real.

And believe it or not, I have seen white people play african american characters in many school plays. It is also standard practice in opera to have white men sing black characters in blackface (as offensive and outdated as that is).

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

That's because they are real people.
Not myths.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Santa the slaver.

With his methed out slaves.

God I hate elves, almost as much as hobbits.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Lysergic
Santa the slaver.

With his methed out slaves.

God I hate elves, almost as much as hobbits.

Best post of the whole thread!

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

antonia

Tusks

Big difference here: Santa is fake, all the people you just listed are/were real.

And believe it or not, I have seen white people play african american characters in many school plays. It is also standard practice in opera to have white men sing black characters in blackface (as offensive and outdated as that is).

Play-acting is play-acting--whatever the character portrayed.

Can you just imagine the carnage in a 50% black school if a white kid was chosen to play any of the above in a school play?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

I am appalled. But not surprised. Ever been to New Mexico? The wisest people there are the passive aggressive illegal Mexicans immigrants and aboriginals. They manage to survive the bs with dignity.

Takes all kinds.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Tusks

Play-acting is play-acting--whatever the character portrayed.

Can you just imagine the carnage in a 50% black school if a white kid was chosen to play any of the above in a school play?

No, it's not the same. Santa is not a real person therefore there is no expectation you will show the "real" Santa. The people you mentioned were real therefore there is some expectation you would show them as they actually were. In a 50% black school there is no need to use a white play actor for a black character roles as the pool of possible black actors in much larger.

I can't tell you how many white men I've seen play Othello though. Happened in a school I went to with a sizeable black student body. There was no riot and no one was beaten on the street.
edit on 16-12-2013 by antonia because: opps, wrong letter

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

In the complete absence of qualified types in a specified race, a person of another race is necessary to play the part if the play is to continue.

And Othello was a Moor--a north African Berber/Moroccan--not actually a Black--not that many people, black or white, realize that.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I find it funny how people still let race divide them up.

The only thing that is to hate here is the media for making a deal out of it and making a debate about it.
making the racism burn for a longer period than it was needed.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

Othello's skin color in Shakespeare's work is ambiguous. He does refer to Desmonda's sin in Act 3 as being "Black as my own face". But black had different connotations in that time period. Verdi's Otello has generally always been portrayed as black. However Moorish skin color is quite varied with plenty of them having "black" skin tones and hair.

Either way it doesn't matter. White people play othello all the time and black people aren't rioting in the streets about it. I'm not sure why you keep making subtle digs at them, but I'm not jumping on that train.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

It was a stupid thing to say. What I find even more ridiculous, is the kid was a 9th grader, why would the teacher even care considering all the kids his age know there's not a Santa Clause?

I think asking for the teacher to be fired is going a bit too far. He didn't think before he spoke, which isn't something the majority of us haven't done on occasion. The teacher apologized and it isn't something that is going to devastate this kid for the rest of his life. Calling the teacher prejudice because of the remark is really stretching it.

The entire population is inundated with a "white" Santa Clause since we were kids. How often do you see a black man dressed as Santa Clause in a local mall or figurines and decorations that depict a black Santa Clause? Commercials, movies, advertisements, you name it, they always depict Santa Clause as being white. The entire society has been brain washed to believe that a fictional character was white.

Sometimes I think the media just loves to stir the pot.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Actually.....

Apparently you can find black Santa Claus art.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

WilsonWilson

Eryiedes

WilsonWilson
He can be black and he can be asian and he can be any colour he wants, because myths evolve, they dont stagnate.

You can't reason with racists because racism wasn't inflicted upon them with reason in the first place.
Consider them "lost".

-Peace-

They dont even make sense.
St Nicholas the person, is not the Santa Claus/father christmas who exists in myth now.

he started the whole thing, it's based on him,
isn't it?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

AthlonSavage

well Santa is a fictitious character cant he any colour? Its like saying superman or spiderman must always be white.

make one of another color, then.

wait, that will smith movie. hancock?

the hulk is green, right?

lol.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Eryiedes
reply to post by amurphy245

There are three distinctions:

1) "Santa is white"...this is just an observation and means absolutely nothing.
2) "Santa should be white"...this is a borderline heinke attitude and suggests discomfort at the notion of anyone other than a white man representing Pere Noel.
3) "Santa must be white"...congratulations, you're a biggot. Come and collect your lump of coal.

I can tell by you're tone of your post you're in the second category.
You'll deny this but your "righteous indignation" is a dead give away.
I probably want less to do with you than WrightWing so on that note...

-Good Bye-

Your obviously upset and are unable to hold a sensible discussion on this,which is funny because thats the whole point of the article to get people outraged and flare up and you walked right into it.

The way you are so dogmatic with your opinion makes you no better than someone who is racist , you think you can end racism by branding everyone who disagrees with you a racist?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Fox was only responding to an article in Slate that called for Santa to be a penguin and move to the South Pole.

-Just putting things in perspective.

how quickly they forget. lol!

perspective and deep breaths seem to be in short supply.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join