It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cairo hit by first snowfall in more than 100 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

December 13, 2013 – CAIRO — Snow coated domes and minarets Friday as a record Middle East storm compounded the suffering of Syrian refugees, sent the Israeli army scrambling to dig out stranded motorists and gave Egyptians a rare glimpse of snow in their capital.

Nearly three feet of snow closed roads in and out of Jerusalem, which is set in high hills, and thousands in and around the city were left without power. Israeli soldiers and police rescued hundreds trapped in their cars by snow and ice. In the West Bank, the branches of olive trees groaned under the weight of snow.

In Cairo, where local news reports said the last recorded snowfall was more than 100 years ago, children in outlying districts capered in white-covered streets, and adults marveled at the sight, tweeting pictures of snow-dusted parks and squares. In other parts of the city, rain and hail rocketed down.

On social media, some joked that the snowfall was the mystical work of Gen. Abdel Fattah Sisi, the military strongman who is the focus of something of a cult of personality among his followers. Sisi led the coup five months ago against the highly unpopular but democratically elected Islamist president, Mohamed Morsi. Storm-driven waves lashed Egypt’s Mediterranean coast, and fishermen in the ancient port city of Alexandria were warned by authorities against putting out to sea. In the Sinai Peninsula, snow fell on Mt. Sinai and St. Catherine’s monastery at its foot. Sleet washed the dusty fronds of desert palm trees.

Snow closes roads in Israel, is a source of wonder in Egypt

Thought this would be interesting for some to see.

In Israel, where the storm was described as the heaviest December snowfall since 1953, thick clouds temporarily closed Ben-Gurion International Airport, causing the diversion of two international flights to Cyprus. Jerusalem’s mayor, Nir Barkat, likened the storm to a snow tsunami.

'Historic' Israeli Snowstorm; Power Outage In Jerusalem

Snow continues to fall across Israel Friday morning, reaching new regions of the country and causing major power outages and road closures. Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat released a statement saying "we are battling a storm of rare ferocity." The capital has over 37 centimeters (15 inches) of snow, with deeper snowfall in other areas.

A weather forecaster on public radio described the storm as "historic," as Jerusalem temperatures already dropped to 2 degrees celsius (35.6 Fahrenheit), and are expected to drop below freezing. Snow is anticipated to continue falling through Saturday.

edit on 13-12-2013 by snarky412 because: add pics

edit on 13-12-2013 by snarky412 because: add link

edit on 13-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Global Warming...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

BABYBULL24
Global Warming...

Yeah...
Don't tell Al Gore

Just added a couple of pictures you missed
Of course, if you're from a snowy region, this ain't nothing new

edit on 13-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Man, we sure are living in interesting times... Crazy weather, random weather, I wish I understood what was going on around the world, but I'm sure the experts are even perplexed with the sh*t we are seeing today.....

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

BABYBULL24
Global Cooling...

Fixed that for you there..

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
It's a HARP attack! Well planned by the dastardly evil Government. Or it's really really cold. Either way it would be great fun to watch a bunch of Egyptians drive in the snow.

Global Warming was the wrong term, one that is surely regretted. Climate Change or even Climate Re-organization would have been much better to say right from the start of it all. This weather just made the Climate Change Deniers wet their pants........

Calling it Climate Change right from the the start and rather than fight the reasons why it is happening forever we should have just started working on how to adapt to our ever changing world.

Back to your regular programming ( :

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Good for them. The hot heads over there needed to be cooled down a bit.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Mamatus
It's a HARP attack! Well planned by the dastardly evil Government. Or it's really really cold. Either way it would be great fun to watch a bunch of Egyptians drive in the snow.

Global Warming was the wrong term, one that is surely regretted. Climate Change or even Climate Re-organization would have been much better to say right from the start of it all. This weather just made the Climate Change Deniers wet their pants........

Calling it Climate Change right from the the start and rather than fight the reasons why it is happening forever we should have just started working on how to adapt to our ever changing world.

Back to your regular programming ( :

Don't guess they have snow tires either, huh?!

And I agree, Climate Change is the correct term IMO
Mother Nature always has and always will evolve, with or without us

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I could make a joke or two, but . . . man, what I wouldn't give to see something as iconic as the pyramids dusted with snow, with my own eyes. The lucky locals, that's a rare kind of special there

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I hope they take lots of pictures. It will be interesting to see snowy pyramids pop up in next few weeks.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Global Warming…

As I understand it cooling in areas is an expected part of the climate change in global warming.

Out of my area of knowledge though.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Al Gore and his cronies are sitting in the GW bunker.

They are thinking, "how can we use this to our advantage?"

Now we got climate change. SOB'S will spin it and win it.

Well this is twice in what a 100 years. We need to write that down. This is called research material.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

The signs of climate change happening at an accelerated rate around the world at the present moment points strongly to a Pole Shift, not simply human intervention.

The melting of the ice caps is a deliberate mechanism within the Earth cycle- a prelude to when the currents of the Earth will stop and allow the Crust to shift position before they start up again and allow ice to increase during a forced mini-ice age thanks to the oceans releasing CO2.

The Impact of this needs to be put into context. Far from the end of the world, a Pole Shift spells new possibilities and exciting climate changes, not seen for thousands of years. Deserts can once again bloom, while areas trapped under years of ice are brought back to life.

"A growing number of scientists are starting to worry the magnetic pole shift, that seems to be underway, is the real culprit behind climate change. Not man made air pollution, not the Sun, not the underground volcanic activity heating up the oceans, but the slow beginning of a pole shift that has been thought to destroy entire civilizations in the past and be one major factor in mass extinctions. NASA recently discovered and released information about a major breach in the Earth's magnetic field."

"This breach in the Earth's magnetic field allows solar winds to enter the Earth's atmosphere and is sufficient to really mess up the weather. Not only is this accelerating magnetic pole shift messing up the weather, it is also having major effects on geopolitics. These magnetic shifts are not only capable of causing massive global super storms, ...."

There's more info below but this seems to make a lot of sense to me. The real problem is that mainstream science hasn't devoted that much time and energy to this subject.

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

edit on pam1214America/ChicagoSat, 14 Dec 2013 02:49:41 -0600416am13 by pandersway because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
You mock the concept of global warming pretending to be someone with an IQ..

But the reality is, our climate is changing! Who gives a damn what technical term is.. its happening.

Snow in Egypt and Israel is not a normal thing.

The increase in ferocity of hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones over the past few years is a indication of this change in the ocean's.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Think they got our winter ...
still very mild in UK ... and i am still finding spiders and putting them outside, and there are baby flies floating around .. i saw a butterfly mid november ....

Not sure i remember seeing any of this so late in the year perviously ...

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Here you go Nyiah, a friend posted this earlier, thought I'd share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pandersway

"A growing number of scientists are starting to worry the magnetic pole shift, that seems to be underway, is the real culprit behind climate change. Not man made air pollution, not the Sun, not the underground volcanic activity heating up the oceans, but the slow beginning of a pole shift that has been thought to destroy entire civilizations in the past and be one major factor in mass extinctions. NASA recently discovered and released information about a major breach in the Earth's magnetic field."

"This breach in the Earth's magnetic field allows solar winds to enter the Earth's atmosphere and is sufficient to really mess up the weather. Not only is this accelerating magnetic pole shift messing up the weather, it is also having major effects on geopolitics. These magnetic shifts are not only capable of causing massive global super storms, ...."

There's more info below but this seems to make a lot of sense to me. The real problem is that mainstream science hasn't devoted that much time and energy to this subject.

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

And to me as well! The Earth is going to do what she is going to do, period. I have always believed that this "pole shift" was going to occur or at least begin in my lifetime. All paths lead to the same conclusion, we don't know squat when it comes to planetary changes on a larger, millennial type scale. We live on a planet in a solar system floating in an ever expanding Universe that we know so little about. Look at the recent ISON episode for example, no one knew/knows what that was really all about.

In reality, what we don't know about the Universe (and even the planet we live on) could fill an entire volume of encyclopedias, what we do know could fill an index card! As far as "Global Warming", I call hogwash! Sure, anyone with a brain could tell you that all the pollution we spew out into the environment on a daily basis is disgusting and detrimental, but is that really what's going on here? Or is it merely expediting an already normal cycle of change and renewal that our planet goes through on it's own regardless of our presence?

"Global Warming" is just a way to label something that we don't understand in order to feel better about the situation. If we can identify something that we are unfamiliar with we feel much more capable of doing something about it, somehow putting it within our control and therefore lessening the fear associated with it. So, yes please keep recycling, use cold water to wash your clothes, buy eco friendly vehicles, stop purchasing products manufactured by leading pollution causing companies, etc., etc. Just keep in mind, the Earth is going to do what she is going to do... and hang on for the ride.

edit on 14-12-2013 by IrishCream because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

I'm wondering what the elite are benefiting from this one

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

It's obviously a function of GLOBAL WARMING.

Send the clean-up bills to the global idiots foisting such nonsense propaganda on the planet.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
lol @ the global warming comments..

Global warming causes the icebergs to melt, which causes the ocean levels to rise, which causes the water in our atmosphere to increase due to evaporation, which leads to lots of nice storms aka all kinds of different weather patterns / shifts across the entire planet - it's not really that difficult to understand.

But of course, this is all just a bunch of BS that the govt came up with as a means of getting a bunch of extra bucks from us tax-payers

Global Warming

The actual argument is that whether it's a naturally occurring process - which is where you get into all kinds of weird ideas like like the Mayan calander the 26,000 cycles blah blah blah - or if it's due to pollution. If it's the most snowfall that the area has seen in Keywords: 100 Years - then it's kinda hard to say it's due to either one of these, but I'd personally have to lean towards some sort of naturally occuring pattern / process; since it's obviously a whole hell of a lot shorter than 26,000 years

edit on 14-12-2013 by Time2Think because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join