It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox Live among game services targeted by US and UK spy agencies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

The NSA document, written in 2008 and titled Exploiting Terrorist Use of Games & Virtual Environments, stressed the risk of leaving games communities under-monitored, describing them as a "target-rich communications network" where intelligence targets could "hide in plain sight.

The ability to extract communications from talk channels in games would be necessary, the NSA paper argued, because of the potential for them to be used to communicate anonymously: Second Life was enabling anonymous texts and planning to introduce voice calls, while game noticeboards could, it states, be used to share information on the web addresses of terrorism forums.

Xbox Live among game services targeted by US and UK spy agencies

OH Dear NSA.
Thanks for bringing this question to my mind -

Are we living in an era of complete paranoia?

When the Department of Defense believe it is wise to track gamers (mostly young) of games like World of Warcraft, Second Life and even all users from Xbox live, you've got to wonder what is the real purpose behind all of this.

Tracking terrorists in video games? Really?

Seems to me like they are just using an alibi to spy on us in every way thinkable.

One day, we will have to draw a line between what we deem acceptable and non-acceptable in the world of technology and communication. If only we wish to conserve our right to freedom and privacy, that is.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

As if the Millennial s aren't fed up enough with Obama over NSA spying...This should put the final nail in the coffin for their support of this paranoid, control-freak, President and his corrupt administration.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

St0rD
One day, we will have to draw a line between what we deem acceptable and non-acceptable in the world of technology and communication. If only we wish to conserve our right to freedom and privacy, that is.

By chance, I was revisiting a few of the threads about the XBox One console from a few months back before it was released.
The general consensus was that with all the restrictions, and the spying built in, and the general all pervasive feeling that Microsoft wants to own your soul.
Even after the media outrage and backdown regarding several of the worst "features", a lot of people were saying that in the near future they'll just simply activate them.

So the XBox One is dead, and everyone will flock to Playstation?

Nope.
Initial sales figures say:

Xbox One sales top 1m in less than a day: Microsoft

Microsoft said it sold more than 1 million Xbox One video-game consoles in less than a day after the new machine went on sale in 13 countries.

Xbox One Most Successful Console Launch Ever In Australia

The record sales come despite criticisms from some users and gaming outlets that Australians have missed out on some of the key functionality and online services of both consoles.

Proving once again that the unwashed masses will do whatever a billion dollar corporation tells them to do.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

I think ill just keep my good old PS3. F&S for your thread.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Just conditioning towards the much grander agenda.

We question it now, but our children are growing up with this been the norm, it gets worse every generation to the point where everything is monitored for surveillance and advertisements.

Anyway I'm buying the PlayStation 4, Xbox have dug their own graves with this console.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

If only you knew how much I agree with you.

When I first realized what Microsoft was trying to do with the Xbox One, I was really shocked and frustated at the same time. It became clear to me that the idea behing Big Brother wasn't only an idea anymore.

All the restrictions they put behind their newly named console, and the way we were to interact with it, was making it so obvious we couldn't just theorize about it anymore.

You're right, most people are sheeps and will just follow what big corporations want us to do, but you also have to admit that this time we've made a small difference in this war of privacy. Microsoft didn't have no choice but to drawback from their first restrictions because customers were so angry at them they would just have killed their market name right away.

I'm one of those guy who will respect my principles and will NOT buy this evil console even though I liked the Xbox 360 a lot. I will just stick to the PC.

edit on 10-12-2013 by St0rD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

IAMTAT
reply to post by St0rD

As if the Millennial s aren't fed up enough with Obama over NSA spying...This should put the final nail in the coffin for their support of this paranoid, control-freak, President and his corrupt administration.

Don't get me wrong. I think Obama is criminally liable for many of his errors. But you are attributing to him, alone, what should be spread over a decade of presidencies and administrations.

If you think voting out Obama with an (R) is going to fix anything, you are as big a fool as he who would actually vote for Obama. Well, maybe not you particular....but the metaphorical "you" in the audience.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

There are plenty of morons out there who will march us to our demise. That means that some of us have to be squeaky wheels and fear mongerers.

We have 3 xbox 360's in our house. We use them as media slaves for a media server, as well as netflix boxes. Of course, the one in my room and my sons room gets played a lot (GTA and COD, mostly....some minecraft). But they are mostly media machines for us.

We have already determined that our "next gen" of gaming system will be PC's. I bought him a swank Alienware desktop system last christmas. This christmas I am setting up a spare bedroom into his "office" (he makes gaming youtube videos for his channel). I have an office in my room, but i just use it for my laptop and work. Turning it all into a PC based entertainment system would be a matter of replacing the console with a pc.

Screw xbox. If MS doesn't change their OS drastically away from Windows 8, ill wipe my next PC purchase and put on Ubuntu.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Anders Breivik used xbox live to train apparently and connect to other far right extremists he openly sais that in his manifesto
edit on 10-12-2013 by jd0Fengland because: s

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

jd0Fengland

Anders Breivik used xbox live to train apparently and connect to other far right extremists he openly sais that in his manifesto

My thing is, I don't care. I could care less if 9/11 was planned while playing flight simulators on XBox Live. I really don't.

People can misuse just about anything. Should I stop selling hammers because they can be weaponized? Or should you have to buy a permit and have mental testing to be issued a hammer?

It is insane to think that we should give up our privacy and our basic rights to some sort of higher power in exchange for safety. "Safety" is not a right. No one is entitled to safety. But we should be entitled to privacy.

My greatest shame is sharing this planet with so many wusses that my voice is drown out in cries for help and protection. I, like many others, just have to shut up and go along with it. Whats worse is that, in America at least, its MY rights that should be protected. The individual, who now has to give up his rights to make others feel better.

Lets them plan whatever in the hell they want on XBox live. Its none of my business. If they want to carry out their attack, they will plan it somewhere. Maybe not while playing a game, but somewhere.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

jd0Fengland

My thing is, I don't care. I could care less if 9/11 was planned while playing flight simulators on XBox Live. I really don't.

People can misuse just about anything. Should I stop selling hammers because they can be weaponized? Or should you have to buy a permit and have mental testing to be issued a hammer?

It is insane to think that we should give up our privacy and our basic rights to some sort of higher power in exchange for safety. "Safety" is not a right. No one is entitled to safety. But we should be entitled to privacy.

My greatest shame is sharing this planet with so many wusses that my voice is drown out in cries for help and protection. I, like many others, just have to shut up and go along with it. Whats worse is that, in America at least, its MY rights that should be protected. The individual, who now has to give up his rights to make others feel better.

Lets them plan whatever in the hell they want on XBox live. Its none of my business. If they want to carry out their attack, they will plan it somewhere. Maybe not while playing a game, but somewhere.

You're right.

By trying to have control over EVERYTHING, you will just lose all you've got in the end.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
As much racist, homophobic, straight-in-your-face-brutal trash talking that happens on Xbox live, the agency is going to have their hands full with all the trigger words and the such. It's actually terrible what people say over the servers on any platform, but of course, no one has the testical fortitude to say those things to someone's face...they would much rather hide behind a console...or computer.

Which brings another good question up...are the wrong people going to be "watched"? How will the agency discern the difference between kids talking trash and real problems? Actually, I don't care. The spying shouldn't be taking place to begin with.

Pathetic in every sense of the word.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

St0rD

bigfatfurrytexan

jd0Fengland

You're right.

By trying to have control over EVERYTHING, you will just lose all you've got in the end.

Growing up in the bible belt, i was witness to no shortage of over bearing parents crushing their children beneath their thumb. Rarely have I seen good relationships come from that.

One thing I have learned, myself, from being a parent and a business manager: you cannot control people. You might be able to contain them, and you might be able to guide them. But both of those are contingent upon them being willing to follow your leadership (or you being smart enough to manipulate them without them knowing it...or both).

Point is, the more pressure you put on people, the more unpredictable their response, and the more negative their outlook. Control....no. Just try to contain.

new topics

top topics

join