It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love, Home, Job... all take about 1 year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I was thinking about this one thing the other day. I heard that in order to be happy you need someone to love, somewhere to live, and something to do.

So I was thinking about this...

What's strange is that:

Love: Usually it take a good year before you're really relaxed, really getting to know the person well, and starting to get comfortable with someone when starting a relationship.

Home: If you had to build your own home it would probably take you a good year to build a nice house and fill it with stuff, and feel comfortable living there.

Work: Generally speaking it takes about a year to establish a business at a minimum level. Or to get a job and then start to be comfortable with it, good at it, and become a solid member of the team.

Seems like there's aways these strange hidden secrets about life when you really break it down.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Spartacus699, you are a total dude, but I think you might have entirely failed to take into account some very simple things.

Sure, all things being equal, both parties being honest, one can become comfortable with a person, a relationship. But you can go for years without truly knowing a person, even when you live right there beside them, through the great and the grubby. A house may stand for five years, but may fall in just one night, and most businesses in todays climate take much longer than one little year to establish themselves, and even longer for the brand, the reputation of that business to permeate the local collective awareness.

Nothing worth doing is easy dude. Not a damned thing.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I'm right there with you. Anything worth doing is worth doing it right. Always remember, OP, you get back what you put in and expectations are for those who enjoy disappointment. In my short, 30 odd years all of the three things mentioned have been and continue to be "works in progress".

Perhaps, OP, you have done what I have done in the past. I would recognize patterns in my life and then subconsciously implement them as laws to live by. For example, my first serious relationship lasted 18 months. Then the next one did too and I saw a pattern. The third one fell right in line and so did the fourth...until I realized that I had been sabotaging myself in order to conform to my pattern.

Once broken, these self inflicted laws no longer formed the preventative barrier to my happiness. But this has been my experience and may not apply to anyone else.

And I have to agree that it takes much longer than a year to establish a business. I believe that the standard is 3 years but it may be more than that given the current economic climate.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Perhaps you have chosen a definition of love, home and something to do that is limiting.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

TrueBrit

Spartacus699, you are a total dude, but I think you might have entirely failed to take into account some very simple things.

Sure, all things being equal, both parties being honest, one can become comfortable with a person, a relationship. But you can go for years without truly knowing a person, even when you live right there beside them, through the great and the grubby. A house may stand for five years, but may fall in just one night, and most businesses in todays climate take much longer than one little year to establish themselves, and even longer for the brand, the reputation of that business to permeate the local collective awareness.

Nothing worth doing is easy dude. Not a damned thing.

sorry but you sound very pessimistic bud. Like ya it take a lot of work to maintain all that too. But if you're really responsible you could have all that til the day you die once it's set up. But it takes work. I remember my old house I use to hire this chinese father and son team to do my lawn. Frack like 60 bucks they'd mow and weed wack. It was awsome! Girls, I'm ont sure about living with them. I've never done that. They get so moody and I like my space and independance too much still. I know one cool chick though that might be okay, but still, I've heard that living with them is completely different than dating. so I'm not sold on the idea yet. Then as for your job, or business, well I learned the hard way that if you get somethign working, YOU WORK YOU AZZ OFF ON IT. Like once it's working and money is pouring in that's when you DO NOT RELAX. yOU become EXTRA DILIGENT. If you don't it could fall apart. That's what happened with me. i had a good business. A bonified cash down spinning off 5 figures per month for over 10 years with very little work involved. I didn't have to work 9 to 5 on it. Less than pt hours. but I got lazy , I got complacent, I was naive and young at the time, and sure enough as the saying goes "nothing parts faster than a fool and his money". And ya sure enough, # hit the fan the the music stopped. Just like that. So sad. Just insane. Now I'm trying to start over but it's pretty hard. but this time if and when I make it I'll learn from the past. I'd know better not to be so lacksidazy on it once it's producing. but ya it's all a lot of work. But there's a lot of up side to it all too right. But ya iwthout the work it falls apart.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Open2Truth

Perhaps you have chosen a definition of love, home and something to do that is limiting.

perhaps but I'm not looking to conquire the world. Just yhave some semblence of normalicy

new topics

top topics

join