It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BEWARE--2014 NDAA Contains Cybersecurity Provisions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Looks like our good friend Jay Rockefeller is trying to backdoor in CISPA-style legislation. From the original article:

Rockefeller’s proposal, S.1353, was unanimously approved by the Commerce Committee in July but has stayed relatively dormant ever since. On Thursday he submitted that bill as an amendment to be considered as part of an annual Pentagon spending plan that could fast track his attempts to land his proposal on President Barack Obama’s desk after attempts in Congress to adopt cybersecurity legislation have largely proven to be futile.

In a statement made by Rockefeller that circulated earlier this week, the 75-year-old senator suggested that the time is now upon Congress to finally enact a bill that would mandate precautions be taken to protect America’s cyber infrastructure and the private entities attached to it amid ongoing reports of high-powered attacks aimed at the likes of government computers and the networks of critical services.

“The Commerce Committee took action months ago and unanimously passed this bipartisan bill that will improve the nation’s cybersecurity. But it’s been sitting on the sidelines for too long and there’s too much at stake to not look for every opportunity to pass it in the Senate,” Rockefeller said in a statement first published on Wednesday by John Eggerton at Multichannel News. “So I’m introducing that legislation as an amendment to the Defense Authorization bill and imploring my colleagues to join me in supporting this effort.”

According to Rockefeller, his bill “creates an environment that will cultivate the public-private partnerships essential to strengthening our nation’s cybersecurity."

Or, you know, it'll erode the final vestiges of our privacy.

People, the time to start taking our country back is NOW. We banded together and generated enough friction to stop the war in Syria, so we can stop this, too. Tell everyone you know that Congress is trying to backdoor CISPA. Get the word out into as many public forums as you can.

We CAN stop this from happening, but only if we start working TOGETHER.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Not surprising, after the indefinite detention provision in 11, they no doubt see the ndaa as an avenue to sneek into law just about any tool a tyrant requires to clench his iron fist around Americas throat.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by therealguyfawkes

Or, you know, it'll erode the final vestiges of our privacy.

I'm not being facetious here at all, but just what inkling of privacy remains? I feel so completely robbed and invaded, my privacy has been fully violated already. This security perimeter for North America has grabbed every single bit of our info, including our medical files.

edit on 5-12-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
There are many back-door approaches to legislation these days. It would seem that the American government is pursuing an agenda while in full realization of it running counter it's people's opinion.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
this might be obvious...but, why would anyone communicate anything so personally sensitive or possibly incriminating, over a communication line that can be read and put into a data base. there are other discrete methods, use your head.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

aboutface
I'm not being facetious here at all, but just what inkling of privacy remains? I feel so completely robbed and invaded, my privacy has been fully violated already. This security perimeter for North America has grabbed every single bit of our info, including our medical files.

edit on 5-12-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

Admittedly there isn't much.

I can still go pay cash for things, I remove the battery from my tracking device (cellphone) or leave it at home, and I can still surf the web and post with relative anonymity through proxy. I can opt-out of having a CIAbook account, I can use heavily encrypted non-mainstream email services. But yeah, other than that, there isn't much.

Trust me, I feel your pain. I'm a private person by nature... not because I've anything to hide, but because it's no one else's business unless I choose to share. This forced capture of personal data is not a good thing, and will never be a good thing for anyone but the elite minority who need that access to keep us all under control.

And that fact alone should be enough to awaken the sleeping masses to the fact that Houston, we have a problem. I'm wondering how much tighter the noose has to get around the average person's neck before they start resisting... because I'm feeling like it's choking us all pretty hard right now.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

jimmyx
this might be obvious...but, why would anyone communicate anything so personally sensitive or possibly incriminating, over a communication line that can be read and put into a data base. there are other discrete methods, use your head.

A better question might be, why do we the people allow a small group of individuals to have this kind of invasive access over our private information?

WE'RE the ones holding the power. This system can only stand so long as we consent to it (through volition, force, fraud, or coercion). As soon as more people realize they can get up from the table and simply walk away from this corrupt system, the game is over. Nonviolent nonparticipation is the only way to take back our country and our freedoms.
edit on 5-12-2013 by therealguyfawkes because: (no reason given)

top topics

join