It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White College Students File Racial-Discrimination Complaint

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Mclaneinc
From an outside the USA POV I have to say it seems like most Black Americans have a rather unhealthy preoccupation with race, I see it being brought up far too often and always by people who should know better.

That was actually one of the best POV's, outside the USA, I have read in a long time. Bravo!

It's refreshing to see someone that is able to look from the outside in, and give an almost perfect depiction of what is truly transpiring.

It is time that people start taking personal responsibility regardless of their color, gender, or religion.

Peace,

RT

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by oxford

He should spell spud correctly - drop the e and say it's name - Al Gore strikes again.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
College is a valuable and important tool but all too often you find these crazy professors who simply want to indoctrinate their students. I've had my fair share of nutty and crazy professors over the years. I once had a female professor who told us how much it sucks to be a woman in the U.S.A. I immediately thought, "It sucks to be you? Really? You're making more money than we will ever see while we're all drowning in debt!"

The issue of race remains a hot topic pushed at many universities today. I had a class called "Dealing with Diversity" and the whole thing is taught from a minority/oppressed point of view. Even discussing white laws which have helped minorities over the years is strictly forbidden; it's all about "the white man keeping the brown man down." I always found it strange how minorities could feel proud about who they are/where they came from, but as a white male I couldn't because my race is categorized as being "part of the problem," so to speak.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's not just colleges anymore either. Its middle school and high school as far as teaching some kind of agenda.

Certainly some (too many) teachers inject their own biases into what they teach - some more obsessively than others.

Something I found troubling was examining my kid's AP US History textbook - there were more pages and exercises devoted to Malcolm X and his fight against white oppression than Martin Luther King, every other 60's civil rights leader, World War 1, World War 2, and the Korean War - combined!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by luciddream

The thing is that while racism exists ...

... it is also true, and far more common that racism is used as a means to silence people who disagree with you these days.

I'm no racist. You can't go to a major college and survive four years as a athlete and come out a racist. You don't volunteer to teach inner city school if you're a racist. You just don't. Heck, you don't marry an ethnic minority if you're racist.

But I constantly get called a racist these days because I disagree with the policies of the president.

And I read stuff like this, more stories every day, and I hear more and more commentary about how I am apparently racist just because I'm white and for no better reason than that. I've inherited it, see.

I got this just the other day at Thanksgiving, no less - I expressed that I didn't care for some of what I see as the excesses of the current President in his use of Executive Power, like using Executive Orders and selective prosecution to circumvent laws - I got laid into by a family member, and was informed I was an "Angry White Male", whose opposition to his policies could only be rooted in my own latent racism..."

I said wait a minute, you know me, I'm not racist, and was informed that yes I am, I just don't realize it, because my White Privilege is somehow threatened by a black President, and that I obviously must be a Tea Partier because they're so overtly racist, and I had to admit that some people say hateful, racist things about the President, (which is true )- but I didn't realize that the fact that some people who criticize the President are racist doesn't mean *everyone* who criticizes the President is racist ...

I mean, I've seen all this in the public square, but didn't expect it in my own house ...

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
this situation is frivolous, trivial, and has become derailed with racially insensitive comments, but seeing as though it was posted on a conspiracy site with mostly white posters, it makes sense that these comments persist.

imo, her agenda to expose racism through her teaching curriculum was probably way overbearing, but seeing as though this is a 99% white conspiracy site: it's only bad when blacks do this. my college history class was taught by a white guy who clearly had a strong disdain against the government and it was easily detectable in his lessons and rants. he taught outside of the box and hipped me to some extremely bad things i didn't know was going on in this country. i took this as a positive, where as some could have taken his teachings as something negative.

a poster mentioned their child's middle school history book and it made me think back to my childhood. when i grew up, school's history books covered a maybe chapter or two of so-called black/hispanic/asian history. i'm not sure if today's history books are still disproportionate with the history, but seeing as though this is a conspiracy site, one would think this would be talked about on this site, but it isn't. threads and comments like these are made when the history books are being filled with more minority history.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
As a Lecturer in the UK, I can say that I have been indoctrinated to absolutely never, ever impose my political, sociological and/or religious view on my students and never to judge my students for theirs, ethically its an absolute no no. Personally I live my life in the same way outside the classroom, what people chose to believe politically and spiritually is their own business. I can't speak for all in my profession, I had good lecturers and bad lecturers...but I believe that one of the most important impacts on students aside from the obvious qualifications, is the space to form their own opinions and grow.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I think the easy answer is that just because you're black doesn't give you immunity from being a goof. Same goes for university profs. The prof should not be complaining because her premise was being challenged. Instead, she should have turned it into a teachable moment by encouraging discussion. Universities are to teach people to think...not what to think. That's why she deserved a dressing-down from the administration. In my humble opinion, of course.

squittles
I got laid into by a family member, and was informed I was an "Angry White Male", whose opposition to his policies could only be rooted in my own latent racism...
I mean, I've seen all this in the public square, but didn't expect it in my own house ...

Same goes for family members. I have gotten to the point where I will say "I'm not going to have that conversation" and stuck to my guns. Seems a little awkward at first, but nowhere near as bad as having an argument, and hurt feelings.

edit on 5-12-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by roundpyramid

It's close to the point that white males should be considered a minority. Sorry that happened to you.

Back in the day, part of my responsibility consisted of hiring and mentoring new people on the team. One round was for hiring ony minorities due to equal opportunity. We spent a lot of time together. I was surprised to learn that black cashiers gave other blacks sly nods and free lunches without even knowing each other.

Respect and trust has to be earned. People can't keep a job if the business goes under due to profits being stolen.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sandsthetime

Wrong. College is NOT a valuable tool.

It makes me laugh, how Americans continually debate racism, sexism, homosexuality, and abortion, while the rest of the western world moves on...

Your politicians play you like a southern fiddle.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

That is, "person who professes."

To profess generally means to affirm or declare.

One solution to this issue, then, is to have different professors who express opposing views.

Students, meanwhile, are free to ask questions. Once they have learned enough, then they can make their own conclusions about the matter.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
why does racism exist? BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY RACES

just like there are many COLORS IN THE SPECTRUM

or TEAMS IN THE NFL. everyones got a preference...even not having a preference is a preference.

if you favor one, you offend another. its a profound duality. We as humans on Earth are encouraged to be unique and naturally seek out our own styles in [insert category here.

racism, colorism, and NFL-teamism are all examples of what is generally reduced to INDIVIDUALISM.

hatred is just one relative aspect to a much larger behavior that we call racism. it is also the most targeted. there are many many other aspects to racism other than hatred that go ignored everyday.

without the entirety of racism on this planet, we would be the borg. it is natural human behavior, it cannot be overcome. the second you take a side you simply reverse roles.

hate racists?
then your a racist-ist.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Only whites can be racist. Only whites are charged with hate crime or discrimination. That is unfortunately the way our society works nowadays.
Most white on black racism is a reaction to the behavior and cultural norms of black society. Whites lock their car doors around black neighborhoods not because of racism but out of reaction to what they hear on the news. ( knock out game anyone?)
Whites made oprah rich.
Whites made lebron rich.
Whites elected a black president.
If all whites were racists then none of that could have happened.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

jctcle
reply to post by trollz

I hope they find her guilty and punish her to death.

So tired of black people telling me anything, I don't even want to look at you. I don't care about you, stay out of my life.

Jeez... I guess i can't have a normal, healthy conversation with you, then?

I'll just get out of your face then...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
Only whites can be racist. Only whites are charged with hate crime or discrimination. That is unfortunately the way our society works nowadays.
Most white on black racism is a reaction to the behavior and cultural norms of black society. Whites lock their car doors around black neighborhoods not because of racism but out of reaction to what they hear on the news. ( knock out game anyone?)
Whites made oprah rich.
Whites made lebron rich.
Whites elected a black president.
If all whites were racists then none of that could have happened.

Cultural norms of black society? Re-evaluate those words there buddy, but i see what you are trying to get at.

The notion of all whites being racist is a result of unchecked emotions, unfiltered emotions from years of oppression. This notion would be reiterated without thought by blacks, like white's and their notions of all blacks are ghetto thugs (or ghetto thug behavior being apart of black behavioral norms or culture^).

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

LadyLurker
why does racism exist? BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY RACES

just like there are many COLORS IN THE SPECTRUM

or TEAMS IN THE NFL. everyones got a preference...even not having a preference is a preference.

if you favor one, you offend another. its a profound duality. We as humans on Earth are encouraged to be unique and naturally seek out our own styles in [insert category here.

racism, colorism, and NFL-teamism are all examples of what is generally reduced to INDIVIDUALISM.

hatred is just one relative aspect to a much larger behavior that we call racism. it is also the most targeted. there are many many other aspects to racism other than hatred that go ignored everyday.

without the entirety of racism on this planet, we would be the borg. it is natural human behavior, it cannot be overcome. the second you take a side you simply reverse roles.

hate racists?
then your a racist-ist.

Iv'e heard this before, and i don't buy it.

So you say if i venture into your neck of the woods, you naturally wouldn't like me?

Is that instinctual, or your and your society's own ignorance and fear?

Didn't natives of North America and Africa welcome Europeans with open arms to their land?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

bigman88

Didn't natives of North America and Africa welcome Europeans with open arms to their land?

While there were some instances of acceptance that is a far cry from the truth.

There are plenty of examples where the locals were very hostile upon first contact.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I had a teacher that was an extreme feminist. I'm not the least bit discriminatory or misogynistic, but this was too much. It was supposed to be a crearive writing and reading (i was creative writing major). All we did was read feminist lit and she was very condesdcending to the male students. She managed to "lose" my final paper whuch dropped me from an A to a C. Meanwhile a youbg lady who had missed more days than she had attended got an A.

This lowered my gpa and kept me from getting my degree that semester. I complained. All that happened was, from that semester on, I kid you not, she handed out papers saying she wasn't responsible for lost papers etc. once they were handed in. I guess implying students should keep a copy, but I had had copies and it was said to be too late so it won't help.

So yeah college is generally a joke. I had another very similar thing that cost me a grade in a different class. Most professors are pretentious and definitely bring their own agenda to class.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

no im not saying that at all.

i am saying that there are other aspects to this term that go unnoticed. like love/pride and a million others.

from dictionary.com

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

now replace the word race with football team. you can nix the second portion of that definition as its relative.

in a broad sense having any preference or type of individualism is the same thing. you may not hate anybody but love your own regional culture, this is another aspect of racism that is not inherently bad or destructive. it is human nature. to pretend that you have absolutely no preference to anything is absurd.

ill use the star trek analogy. you got the humans, the klingons, and the romulans, each with their own types of individualism (culture) living separately amongst themselves. then you have the borg hive who have no individualism and only seek to assimilate everyone else. in the franchise we see both the good and bad aspects of racism/individualism. The humans seem to live separately, yet still in harmony with say...the vulcons (good aspect) yet you have the klingons constantly waring with say...romulans(bad).

the only group living without individualism is the borg, who would simply assimilate everyone, they are the racist-ist's. the only scenario where the borgs method of living ends up harmonious is if they assimilate 100% of existence.

its difficult to watch a football game and root for both teams, because in the end only one of them wins.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I'm not sure if the students says "every class" as in this teacher's every class or every class in the college.
reply to post by luciddream

You raised a very valid point there...I actually had to go back and read it again to see if I still got the same impression after reading your post. Unfortunately, it reads as "every class" meaning every class with that particular instructor no matter how many times I read it. The alleged remark from the student who challenged her for talking about the topic again pretty much confirmed it for me.

On a side note (and I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but please bear in mind that I think what they did deserves a freaking medal, ok), at least they were being taught something. I had an anatomy professor who would spend at least the first 15 minutes of class talking about the woman he dated the night before, and whether or not he scored with said woman. It didn't stop until the class majority went en masse to the Dean of Students and filed a formal complaint...all of that time just wasted and that we were paying for! There is a written syllabus for a reason, and it should be adhered to regardless of anything else, racism or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join