It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numbers and Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Or more specifically: Geometry and Religious Architecture.

Or, even more specifically: Geometry and it's relations to the hidden messages in Religious Architecture.

I'm sure many of you have been introduced to at least some of the basic geometrical concepts used in Math. Some people from that group have been introduced to trigonometric functions in relation to the basic geometrical concepts. Some people from that group moved on to understand even further the practical applications of such knowledge.
On the surface this seems so trivial. Like, who cares, right?

I used to hate math. Seriously hated it. To me it was pointless and stupid and all it was to me was just memorizing formulas so I could just pass and be done with this BS. Now, I love math. Can't get enough. I don't need to 'memorize' formulas in the way that I used to. In fact, I'm at a point now where I don't even need a formula sheet for my math tests because if I don't remember a formula, I can logically deduce it (most of the time, anyway) from other formulae or perhaps even from a diagram if I need it.

So what changed?
Well, for one, I'm not as young and stupid as I was once. Had a lot of work experience in construction. Realized that even in jobs that require hard labour, knowing Maths is an important skill if your desire is to prove your worth. So, I learned trigonometry for carpentry applications. Simple, 3-4-5 (Pythagorean Theorem). Using this knowledge I was now able to do a plethora of tasks that I was not able to complete before.

Fast forward a few years. Being of small frame, I quickly wised up to the fact that if I wanted to continue working in the construction trades I would have to be useful in more ways than simple heavy lifting and operation of basic hand tools. I never was all that strong but I had it in me to continue working in construction. This opened up my world in ways that I can only describe as mystical. Mysticism through Logic, I guess I could say. I am a student of Civil Engineering at my local college, and while I study my school work, I can't help but also study the way the school works, and also my own 'extra-curricular' studies of Geometry which will never appear on any exam, ever.

Here is a LONG video which basically describes my hobby. It is 3 hours long and if you're not interested, will be boring.
www.youtube.com...

I now had a way to study religion and math at the same time. This excited me to no end, and the more I learned, the more I realized the nature of humanity, the nature of Earth, and most importantly, it helped me to understand myself, who I am, and what I am capable of. So what is it about Religious Architecture that can help us understand ourselves?

Proportion:
There are so many "religious" proportions in Religious Architecture that play important roles, both structurally and symbolically, which are used to represent different aspects of Nature (or the Universe). 548 is the number of the Sun. Why? I'll let you look it up for yourself (because, chances are, if you need me to explain it to you, you don't care, and if you don't care why would I bother making you care?) Pi needn't be as exact as we have been led to believe through formal education (at least, not in construction, pure maths of course will need pi to be as accurate as it can get). These proportions tell us about the identity of the building, what it is meant to symbolize and sometimes, for whom it is meant for. We should all be familiar with a kaaba. Or, rather, the 'cube'. The kaaba or cube is the focus of worship for quite a few religions, including Islam. Ever seen the cube at Mecca?
upload.wikimedia.org...

What is it about cubes that this major religion decided to focus upon it with such great intent?
Cube represents the Earth, and in many ways it is a perfect allegory or metaphor for the Human Nature, or Human Mind. Why? Because, the human mind, unlike a sphere or circle, needs a base, a support structure, if you will, to understand higher concepts. I'm not necessarily talking about religious concepts either. We cannot, for example, go straight to understanding something like the Cosine Law, unless we first understand Pythagorean Theorem, which we cannot understand unless we first understand how squaring numbers and simple addition work. See, in this way, the cube acts as the foundation to the rest of our knowledge. And this is, why I feel, anyway, that Islamic Mosques are built the way they are. The domed top is a reference towards understanding of higher concepts. And the dome meets at a point in the center of the sphere. But the base of the building is Square, cube or a rectangular solid. This is the foundation, the base of knowledge which then leads towards Heavenly Knowledge.
Of course, this is not ONLY a symbolic gesture. Without the square or rectangular solid, a spherical structure with no square foundation will not last long. So in this way, the rectangular or cubic solid with a domed top is also practical. But this fact alone is also symbolic of the True Nature of the Universe.

I have so much to say about these things but I will continue with my original topic (by the way, can any one tell this topic was not planned out at all ? )

After proportion, we then have the basic geometries that make beautiful and complicated structures. Christian Architecture is in my eyes some of the most beautiful architecture in the world. And as far as embedding symbolism into their structures they are, I believe, the most advanced and make the most intricate designs from the most simple of geometric principles. Vesica Pisces, or, rather, two circles of equal radius whom touch each others centers. And, believe me, the shape created from this is as intimate as it sounds.
www.ka-gold-jewelry.com...

I don't know about you, but I definitely see a few 'things' that could be. There is probably a super-duper good reason that Vesica Pisces is used to symbolize most things feminine... It kind of looks like something on a lady, to me, anyway. I could just be a dirty bastard who knows, huh? Besides the point, however, if we look into the actual history of Christianity (and not the one sold to us by Religious Authorities) we can see a most definitive and clear connection between Christianity and the old Egyptian cults... or should I say, the major religion of Ancient Egypt. This simple shape is used to design some absolutely amazing architecture.
www.jainmathemagics.com...

What does it mean, though? Well, that's the absolutely hands-down best part of this sort of hobby. The interpretations and possibilities are literally endless. To me, it means sort of like, a new beginning, a new age, a new day. The Vesica to me represents the birth of a new moment. Yes, I am referring to the vesica as basically the vagina of the universe which is giving birth to every single new moment we experience. And believe me, there was hardly such a thing as a painless birth. But out of the pain comes something new, something fresh and something that even the most cynical and hateful of souls would call beautiful without a moments hesitation.

And that, my friends, was the longest rant about something which consumes my days and my mind that I ever have done.

Cheers,
/_\.G.R.E

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 3OGRE3

I was recently looking into the components of the Tao and wondering if the whole cycle of the five elements somehow represented a geometrical configuration of how energy might be utilized to produce various effects in the world. You get out what you put in, so to speak. So if you act with a certain intention in a certain manner, the results will be a certain reward in a certain capacity, more or less.

In short, I suspect that perhaps religion is a mathematical formula for "skinning the cat". Methodology depends on strengths and purposes. Each religion represents a very specific approach according to what you want out of it and what you're willing to do to get it.

If that makes any sense at all.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 3OGRE3

Like you hated math until I found out about my dyslexia and that's why the answers were always wrong.
Took a class in college on math concepts alone. No problems to solve and aced it. So I didn't hate math any more.

Math in my sheet metal apprenticeship and I understood it so well I went on to work close tolerance metal fabrication for a national laboratory.

But mostly I appreciated math and it's inroads to comprehension of the worlds structure. And just about all those things you mentioned in the op.
What I have done with this is visible in my website which I do no know how to imbed. If you are interested in my yantric art you can call up my web address at. www.terramaze.com

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 3OGRE3

Thank you for sharing some great links, particularly the first.

top topics

join