It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea levels rising! How fast? How high?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I was browsing the web last night and watching videos on Youtube, Disclose.tv, etc and one video that caught my attention was from National Geographic’s about Sea levels rising really fast.

www.disclose.tv...

***Although it says 20 years in the title, in the video, it mentions centuries. This is very little time to react nonetheless.

**For those who are into the NWO, pay close attention in the 44 minutes mark of this video. When he mentions that the only way to implement this plan, it would require a “United World”...

Now, being 33 years old, I know that I will not see this occur (at least not the final result obviously) and this is the same for most / all of us here today. But our children, grandchildren and future generations will have to face this situation.

This is happening already and will continue to happen. No one can prevent this, but there could be ways to prepare for it though, since we do have a few years to prepare (I say a few since no one really know how fast this could escalate).

As seen in the video, building mega Dams and/ or mega water levees, is a viable option although expensive (in the 100s of Billion), but building must begin soon or it will be too little too late.

There is also the mention of floating houses, apartment buildings, cities. I would guess those are REALLY expensive also but this is really cool imo. The houses/cities would simply rise with the water and “go with the flow”. My only doubt about this option is Tsunamis, how will these infrastructures last if it’s literally thrown onto land…Maybe they would be anchored in but that could be troublesome with strong currents right?

This image is a vision of the concept by the architect Vincent Callebaut.

Then I found this article this morning. There is no date but I found that the information was on target.

“Scientific research indicates sea levels worldwide have been rising at a rate of 0.14 inches (3.5 millimeters) per year since the early 1990s. The trend, linked to global warming, puts thousands of coastal cities, like Venice, Italy, (seen here during a historic flood in 2008), and even whole islands at risk of being claimed by the ocean”

“The rise in sea levels is linked to three primary factors:

Thermal expansion:
When water heats up, it expands

Melting of glaciers and polar ice caps:
Persistently higher temperatures caused by global warming have led to greater-than-average summer melting as well as diminished snowfall due to later winters and earlier springs.

Ice loss from Greenland and West Antarctica:
Scientists also believe meltwater from above and seawater from below is seeping beneath Greenland's and West Antarctica's ice sheets, effectively lubricating ice streams and causing them to move more quickly into the sea. Moreover, higher sea temperatures are causing the massive ice shelves that extend out from Antarctica to melt from below, weaken, and break off.

How High Will It Go?

Most predictions say the warming of the planet will continue and likely will accelerate. Oceans will likely continue to rise as well, but predicting the amount is an inexact science. A recent study says we can expect the oceans to rise between 2.5 and 6.5 feet (0.8 and 2 meters) by 2100, enough to swamp many of the cities along the U.S. East Coast. More dire estimates, including a complete meltdown of the Greenland ice sheet, push sea level rise to 23 feet (7 meters), enough to submerge London and Los Angeles.””

**Let’s hope that Greenland Ice Sheet doesn’t melt**

Luckily, for my house to be affected, the water level would have to rise over 140 metres and travel 1500 Kms from the coast. I think we should be fine for the next century or so…after that, who knows. But for those that live much close to or on the coasts,THEY are the ones that must be ready for this.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have bright and innovative ideas to help prepare for this?

If you have something to contribute to the subject, please do so.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

Thermal expansion: When water heats up, it expands

The greatest expansion (dramatically greater) is when liquid water changes state to a solid (ice).

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think it's something man ought to be aware of, since it has happened before and will, some day, happen again. It's also important to keep perspective to what even an absolute WORST case, based on physical water actually on Earth in the form of Ice, may look like.

If all the ice on land was to melt, then sea level would rise about 220 feet. Most of this would be from Antarctica (200 ft), where the ice is actually on land and out of the water. But in the Arctic, most of the ice is floating on the ocean. If you have a glass of ice water that is completely full, will the water overflow when the ice melts? No, because ice displaces its volume, so as it melts, it doesn't cause a change in the water level.

220 feet is 73.3 Meters. As seen on this map.....

Global Map with 73 meter water level rise

Now beach front takes on a whole new meaning for some people, but that's the point too. Only some people. A vast majority of Earth, even with *ALL* ice melted at once, wouldn't see any difference from rising sea levels. Just low laying coastal plains and the inner waterways that directly connect to the oceans for water level impact.

....and the worst case of 'no ice left anywhere' isn't a scenario I hear anyone seriously putting forward. That is what the above would require, for even that much.

Perspective is important in this whole debate, IMO.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I believe this is bad science full of agenda's.

"IF" the water level rises I am not worried as I live at 5,000' and doubt my feet will get wet.....

For those living on the coastal area's....oh well.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
For a start everyone can forget about the Arctic and the Antarctic sea ice whose whole ice volume sits in the sea. According to science ice ( any amount) sitting in water displaces 2 thirds of its volume in said water Therefore if all this ice melted it would only add a third of its volume into the seas, the additional volume would be negligible. Now the land based ice sheets are another matter. The worlds glaciers are as nothing compared to the Antarctic ice coverage. If the rest of the earths glaciers were to go tomorrow it would add but millimetres If Antarctic goes say good bye. The chances of that happening in a thousand years is virtually impossible. Stop believing in these fearmongers and get on with your real life.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crayzeed

You're right on that. My figures quoted a bit further up show of 220 feet of Sea rise due to TOTAL global ice melt, 200 feet of that would be a direct result of the land based ice-pack of Antarctica.

So...to stretch my bunny brain a bit, that sounds like a mere 20 feet from all other sources combined. 20 feet comes under 7 meters, but I left it at 7 for the heck of it. Why not error on the side of higher water, for what it matters?

Global Map with 20 foot (7 meter) Sea Level Rise

I guess if you zoom down, you'll see some difference, eh?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Yet more spreading of fear and BS!

If this world has anything to worry about it's NOT rising sea levels!
Just a few thousand years ago most of Europe and north america were buried under MILES of ice, and it had been that way for a very long time. Then most of it melted, and it wasn't caused by humans!

We have two things to fear.
1. It all freezes up again, and thats a very real possibility!
2. People are stupid enough to believe the fear mongers, and that will lead to global enslavement.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by Teye22

Thermal expansion: When water heats up, it expands

The greatest expansion (dramatically greater) is when liquid water changes state to a solid (ice).

You are right about that, but in the case when it is ice that is on the ground it simply drains to the ocean and brings levels up. Of course this is long term and might not happen at all as the guy sais in the video. Time will tell but the years it would take, we would barely notice a diference on a yearly basis.

Thanks for posting

edit on 25-11-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow wrabbit! you beat me to that part of it... That was going to be my follow up post..

Thanks for the contribution

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Just for the record, I never stated in my OP that the end was coming, or that we should run for the hills or anything of the sort.

I was merely pointing out a good Documentary that i saw about long term effect of sea Ice melting and the ideas displayed on how we may delay, stop or workaround this if it should happen.

So i dont beleive the fear mongering comments were warrented here guys.

Thanks for posting nonetheless!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
the Global Warming Alarmist found another sucker

Teye22

***Although it says 20 years in the title, in the video, it mentions centuries. This is very little time to react nonetheless.
How High Will It Go?

future generations will have to face this situation.

No one can prevent this, but there could be ways to prepare for it though, since we do have a few years to prepare (I say a few since no one really know how fast this could escalate).

building must begin soon or it will be too little too late.

houses/cities would simply “go with the flow”. , …Maybe they would be anchored in but that could be troublesome with strong currents Tsunamis

Do you have bright and innovative ideas to help prepare for this?

yes..In the interest of saving the planet ,,you forfit all rights & privileges ..& are hereby sentenced too be Recycled

No seriously,,ya falling for propaganda
edit on 25-11-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

edit on 25-11-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well if the theory of water originating from comets is true............

There's one on the way right now!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I'm thinking a great investment right now would be to buy up the lots just behind all that million-dollar beachfront property. In 20 years, you'll have some real nice beachfront!

Oh wait... but for how long before your property submerges? Oh well, at least you can enjoy it for a little while.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

This article on the typhoon in the Philippines brings it all closer to home.

Typhoon Haiyan exposes different perspectives on a warming planet

In the nine days I have just spent in the Philippines disaster zone, it was remarkable to see how different the perceptions are about the likely consequences of a warming planet.

It is not just the local media that consistently report mainstream science as, well, mainstream science, rather than alarmist conspiracy.

Ordinary people genuinely fear that the climate is changing and they're worried about what it means for their children.

In fact, none of the many storm survivors I met was simply alarmed by climate change. They were actually terrified of the prospect of more storms like Haiyan.

edit on 25/11/13 by soficrow because: format

top topics

join