It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning Thought Experiment About Planet Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Let's assume someone had been making a movie of planet Earth from the beginning of Earth 4.56 billions years ago up to today.

The film is developed, and now we watch the movie backwards. From today, all the way back to the beginning of our planet.

EACH SECOND in the movie amounts to 100.000 years, counting backwards

tic...tic-..tic... -100.000 years ... -200.000 years ... -300.000 years ...and so on.

Even with each second in the movie spanning 100.000 years back in time, the entire movie would last 12.5 hours.

We would turn on this epic 12.5 hour movie, and the entire modern history of man would be vanished in the very first 1/25th of a second. (4000 years). Means, the instant we turn on the movie to watch Earth's history, all/most civilizations and cultures are gone basically so fast we haven't even realized that the movie started yet.

In the first two seconds of this epic long movie, the entire modern man homo sapiens will be gone. Within 20 or so seconds, the entire species "homo" will be gone including all the very early variants which didn't even really look human yet.

What comes now is a 12.5 hour long movie where man doesn't even exist....the next 10 hours we can observe all kinds of life, of course it gets less and less complex as the movie goes on. Only in the last 2.5 hours of this movie any life on the planet has finally vanished.

Other interesting facts: Invention of electricity would be gone in the first 1/500th of a second.
Invention of space travel would be gone in the first 1/1785th of a second after starting the movie.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

Modern man has been around for about 400,000 years. So your numbers are a bit off. But still, people would only be in the first 6 1/2 minutes of the film.

I would still be interested I seeing the first few hours though.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I feel like I saw this on one of vsauce's youtube channels. He has a great set of videos and this was very interesting to watch. I just found it. The whole video is interesting but this part is from about 8 minutes to 10 minutes. www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I love how Carl Sagan shows 'The Cosmic Calendar'.

It really shows you how insignificant we, humans, are.

Whole civilization history as blink of an eye....

S & F for thread
edit on 26-11-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

top topics

join