It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines: way more than 10,000 dead - bodies piled in heaps

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Send in tents first, shelter and triage areas. Set up strategic posts that work 24 hours a day with supplies and water. Did I read that 133,000 bags weighing 110 pounds each went missing? That could feed every vulnerable person on the island and give hope! Sheeze.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This time some churches refuse to house non-believers just like every other time before it. Normal churches that don't ask for forced donations of 10% of the salary support anyone that seeks help. However, the churches that require 10% of the salary for the church's membership end up refusing everyone that isn't a part of that church. This is what those people deserve for not believing in their faith according to those priests.

Sad stuff. I don't remember the religion exactly but I think the English translation is Anglican. =/ Every year it's the same deal, but they have so much money from the "donations" that they can bribe politicians for anything. They will bribe the law the remain the way it is unfortunately and yes, they do use their money for political needs. It sucks but other churches will gladly help people.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Update.

Typhoon Haiyan death toll jumps to 5,235 in Philippines

The death toll from this month's Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines has spiked to 5,235, a national agency reported early Saturday.

...The same agency also reported that 23,501 were injured due to the epic storm, with 1,613 reported missing. The missing amount is 31 higher than a day earlier.

Philippines typhoon death toll feared to hit 7,000

Tacloban, Philippines - The number of people dead or missing after one of the world’s strongest typhoons struck the Philippines climbed towards 7,000 on Saturday, as the United Nations warned much more needed to be done to help desperate survivors.

The government’s confirmed death toll rose to 5,235, with another 1,613 people still missing more than two weeks after Super Typhoon Haiyan destroyed entire towns across a long stretch of islands in the central Philippines.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
President Aquino is keeping a tight control on reports and the numbers. Here's the December 2, 2013 official report.

'Yolanda' death toll rises to 5,670

MANILA – The official death toll from super typhoon "Yolanda" is now at 5,670, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Monday.

...The death toll from the super typhoon is expected to rise further as 1,761 remain missing: 1,671 in Leyte; 38 in Samar; 20 in Eastern Samar; 15 in Antique; 6 in Palawan; 5 in Cebu; 4 in Iloilo and 1 each in Guimaras and Capiz.

The NDRRMC said at least 26,233 were wounded after the typhoon crashed into central Philippines last November 8.

At least 2,376,210 families or 11,236,014 individuals were affected by the typhoon, with 4,094,029 people displaced.

Some 586,227 homes were totally destroyed while at least 590,310 were partially damaged.

edit on 2/12/13 by soficrow because: format

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
UPDATE December 10, 2013: Official Death Toll Almost 6,000; Missing Still Almost 2,000.

Yolanda deaths now at 5,936; missing still at 1,779

'Yolanda' death toll rises to 5,936

Majority of the fatalities were from Eastern Visayas at 5,582 (5,087 in Leyte; 265 in Eastern Samar; 224 in Samar; and 6 in Biliran).

In the worst-hit city of Tacloban in Leyte, 2,321 bodies have yet to be identified.

The number of missing remains at 1,779: 1,671 in Leyte; 38 in Samar; 24 in Palawan; 20 in Eastern Samar; 15 in Antique; 5 in Cebu; 4 in Iloilo and 1 each in Guimaras and Capiz.

The NDRRMC said at least 27,022 were wounded after the typhoon crashed into central Philippines last November 8.

At least 2,615,794 families or 12,355,680 individuals were affected by the typhoon, with 4,056,271 people displaced.

Some 593,787 homes were totally destroyed while at least 598,306 houses were partially damaged.

It will be interesting to see where the numbers are by, say, March of next year.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Another quick jump in reported deaths - up by 23.

'Yolanda' death toll rises to 5,959

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Another jump in reported deaths. Soria called it at the beginning, but was fired because his count disagreed with President Aquino's promise there would be NO deaths. Aquino later said the death toll would be between 2,000-2,500.

‘Yolanda’ death toll rises to 5,982

The number of people injured and missing remained at 27,022 and 1,779, respectively.

Yolanda deaths still rising but number of missing unchanged

…Normally, as the death toll goes up, the number of missing decreases.

…The issue of the death toll has also been wrapped by controversy after Chief Superintendent Elmer Soria, then director of the Eastern Visayas police, said that, after consulting with local government authorities, the death toll would likely reach 10,000.

This was disputed by President Benigno Aquino III on an interview with CNN, who said the deaths from the storm were no more than 2,000-2,500.

Soria was relieved from his post after this. Although the government said he needed a break because of the trauma he suffered during the storm, many saw it as punishment for his high death estimate. And government has said he is not likely to get his post back.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Why are the poorest of the poor always the target of... nature?

In almost all of the tragic death tolls by man and nature you see none of the extremely rich. Someone seems to know in advance and they are not telling, at least not to the less fortunate.

Until something happens in one of the most populated and metropolitan areas such as the east or west coast of the US, these tragedies will continue to become nothing more than an opportunity to marginalize the poor and desensitize everyone else.

How many good intended supporters have fallen by the wayside figuring that they have donated enough, shared enough of what they could to help the less fortunate and the victims of the ongoing barrage being swept across all continents in the form of war, famine, tornadoes, fires,volcanoes, hurricanes, floods, radiation, typhoons, earthquakes, drugwars, and all of the rest of the madness we have all been watching for the past decade?

What I am getting at is that NONE of this was more than a few emotional reports in the beginning to instigate a response for money and supplies to the big outfits that control even disaster, disaster has become the new gold in terms of future greed.

I appreciate you creating this thread, I know how heart wrenching your investigation and research must have been to bring this report forward to the members of ATS. What you did not include, what you experienced fighting the uphill stream without a paddle must be a mark on your psychy and even soul for a lifetime.

You have time and time again been the watchman for disease and pandemics, do you see anything of that magnitude coming out of this tragedy? Are there under reported effects of sanitation and contamination which the msm will not touch with a 10 foot pole? You know, even walking barefoot on the beaches has become a realtime risk with the catastrophic events along the coastal areas worldwide and yet people chose to remain in a cocoon of denial as if ignorance is a safe place, a bubble that protects them.

Sorry this was so long, but I have more than a few things to say on this subject, so many more questions than thoughts or answers met. To find this type of knowledge one must have cable tv, and hope for some obscure update on some remote channel like LINK or in years from now others like NG (once it is safe to give actual accounts of past tragedy without upsetting the consumers, the blue collar workers, the contributors or as in alanon the enablers of disaster for profit.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You see if tens of thousands have died then why continue to touch the hearts of the contributors? When the final death tolls are announced then the page is turned until the next disaster comes along with the chance for people to absolve their selves through a monetary contribution, a one time absolution against not doing anything.

The more people dead, the less need for aid. They know, search and rescue ended within the first ten days but the contracts will continue on for years.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

A. It's cheaper to send aid than deal with the real problem:
Man loses Climate Change Refugee Plea

B. Filipinos are on their own to deal with the reality of climate change - and the only way out financially is to attract corporate investors. But nobody's gonna invest if the Philippine government acknowledges the reality. ...It's a tricky dance.

C. The whole aid-corruption thing seems to be one of those unspoken agreements - "We won't bust you for stealing if you don't bust us for ignoring the real problem."

...Oddly, I'm not emotionally invested. I started on this because it just did not compute. So I looked for answers.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
UPDATE

Philippines typhoon death toll tops 6,000
Saturday, December 14, 2013

MANILA: The number of people dead after one of the world’s strongest typhoons struck the Philippines has risen above 6,000, the government said on Friday, with nearly 2,000 others still missing.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I have a question on this Sofi, as you mention a very critical aspect for recovery there by commercial investment. Why is global warming scaring people off the Philippines? I'll just leave this as a straight, factual question, without personal comment ..as I'm honestly baffled.

That is from a simulation Here and what it's showing is a full 60 meter (180 foot) rise in sea levels. A near impossible figure...but still, the darker areas are former land area which would be submerged. There are some, and I can see concern...but I don't understand the outright aversion and avoiding the Islands entirely? 60 meters is basically saying most of Antarctica is bare and open ground as well, as the rise would be a bit higher for full melt there ..but not by that much?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Why is global warming scaring people off the Philippines?

"Climate change" is a common topic in Filipino media - the effects are right in their faces. Many Filipinos are scared poopless - not so much by the (slowly) rising waters, but by the shifting weather patterns and unthinkably severe storms. The poor are defenceless - they have nowhere else to go, no other options. Storms destroy their subsistence crops, even their fishing is affected.

Those of us living in the middle of large continents -or protected by relative wealth- have the luxury of ignoring or denying the effects of climate change. Filipinos can't. It's already killing them and their children. Either outright, or by slow starvation.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Thank you for that reply. You raised a couple points I hadn't thought of, since the debate is normally centered on water levels when Island nations are the topic.

Crops... Yikes.. Yeah, I don't know why but that hadn't even crossed my mind. I guess I'm too spoiled in a nation of so much crap food, REAL food could vanish for years before most Americans would notice to wonder what happened. Thinking about your words, I suppose it's literally a different world for that in other places. Including The Philippines.

Well, warming, cooling, flooding or dire drought? The weather swings and violence of events seems remarkable in recent history, to be sure. I've certainly stopped taking weather warnings in my area lightly. That Joplin Tornado? It didn't vanish..it just dissipated back into the clouds ..which passed directly over my area a very short time later.

There but for the grace of air currents, the vagaries of temperature layers and a half dozen things no one understands about tornado formation, could have been my town.

My deepest heartfelt wishes go out for the people overseas. As if they didn't have enough challenge in life before this.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I didn't address business concerns about climate change in my previous response to your question, just focused on the human aspect. FYI - Global corporations and businesses in certain locations are very aware of climate change - and strategize to deal with it. And whatever individuals might "believe," climate change is factored into actuarial reports and used to determine insurance risks and rates.

You can find good basic primers on climate change in publicly available re-insurance documents (re-insurers insure insurance companies). Here are a few quick picks from Swiss Re, a global re-insurance company.

RE THINKING, MANAGING CLIMATE AND NATURAL DISASTER RISK

Disaster risk mitigation and climate adaptation are keys to strengthening the resilience of communities around the world. Re/insurance plays an important role in achieving this goal.

Swiss Re understands the relationship between climate and natural disaster risk and the societal impact of both. We've been shaping the global climate agenda through dialogue with our public and private sector partners, cutting-edge research and innovative risk transfer solutions for over two decades.

Managing climate and disaster risk is part of Swiss Re's DNA. Find out why below.

BUILDING CLIMATE RESILIENT CITIES IN THE US AND CANADA
Swiss Re and partners spread the message of urban resilience through a series of workshops in North America.

SWISS RE IS RECOGNISED FOR ITS LEADERSHIP ON CLIMATE CHANGE
Businesses play a key role in reducing carbon emissions and curbing climate change. Every year, companies at the forefront of this important effort are recognized by the Carbon Disclosure Programme (CDP),...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Death toll still at 6,069, missing still 1,779 - but - # of injured skyrockets to 27,665. 16 million affected; 4 million displaced. ...What can be done with 4 million displaced people?

The death toll from supertyphoon Yolanda has not moved on Tuesday at 6,069 but the number of injured ballooned to 27, 665, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

In its 6 a.m. situational report, the NDRRMC also said that the number of missing persons is still pegged at 1,779.

The NDRRMC reported that the total number of people affected by Yolanda in 44 provinces, 591 municipalities and 57 cities of Regions 4-A, 4-B, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, and Caraga remained at more than 16 million.

Of the total affected, over four million people have been displaced, with over 101,000 staying in 381 evacuation centers, the state disaster response agency added.

edit on 17/12/13 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join