It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for decent star catalog / database

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'm looking for a reasonable complete / up-to-date CSV (comma separated value) catalog of stars. I'm attempting to do a bit of research and I need a database that actually cooperates with me in my quest.

So I'm looking for a star catalog / database that is either in a CSV format, or is a modern excel file.

Either of these kinds of files I can import into SQL Server and build a serious database of stars that doesn't limit me to their "Canned" queries.

Databases / file with multiple tables is okay.

So, please if you know of such an animal; please post a link.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tanka418

Yeah, I'm looking for the same thing. Hipparcos database is great, but I'm looking for something which can be used offline.

Can anyone help us astronomers?

edit on 11-11-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

swanne

Yeah, I'm looking for the same thing. Hipparcos database is great, but I'm looking for something which can be used offline.

Can anyone help us astronomers?

edit on 11-11-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

Here's something I found interesting

Its a website with many links to different catalogs, some may actually be useful. Anyway, I got the latest(?) "NSTARS" database from NASA in CSV format. It will import directly into excel or other spreadsheet.

I would also recommend that you find a copy of Microsoft SQL Server EXPRESS. It is a free SQL based database engine that works quite well from the desktop. It will import excel files, and make them actually useful

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Thanks!

new topics

top topics

join