It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nested Quotes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Are nested quotes not allowed now or something?

I posted something like this in another thread:

babloyi

WarminIndy
There are Muslims who are Quran only and there are Muslims who believe the Hadiths. If you really want to hear a tragic story, read the Hadiths, it talks about Aisha's feelings about being sexually abused from Mohammed. And she had very clear doubts about Mohammed and Allah.

I'd be interested in seeing these. I assume they're from authenticated Hadith?

And all you can see is the final line (quote my post to see there was an entire extra bit between that).

I realise that quoting quotes and quoting quotes which quote quotes (and so on) might get messy, but sometimes to provide context for a quick post/question/response thing it is necessary. Was this done intentionally, or is it a bug? Can it please be fixed? If it isn't a bug, the resulting behaviour is still not really appropriate (leaves a gap where the other quote would've been).

EDIT: I forgot to add a subject, and I was directed to a page telling me to go back and add one. When I did, my post had disappeared, and I had to retype it all. Can someone fix this as well, please?
edit on 9-11-2013 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

babloyi
Are nested quotes not allowed now or something?

I posted something like this in another thread:

babloyi

WarminIndy
There are Muslims who are Quran only and there are Muslims who believe the Hadiths. If you really want to hear a tragic story, read the Hadiths, it talks about Aisha's feelings about being sexually abused from Mohammed. And she had very clear doubts about Mohammed and Allah.

And all you can see is the final line (quote my post to see there was an entire extra bit between that).

I realise that quoting quotes and quoting quotes which quote quotes (and so on) might get messy, but sometimes to provide context for a quick post/question/response thing it is necessary. Was this done intentionally, or is it a bug? Can it please be fixed? If it isn't a bug, the resulting behaviour is still not really appropriate (leaves a gap where the other quote would've been).

EDIT: I forgot to add a subject, and I was directed to a page telling me to go back and add one. When I did, my post had disappeared, and I had to retype it all. Can someone fix this as well, please?
edit on 9-11-2013 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

Hmmm, that is strange. Yeah, it doesn't seem like nested quotes are working now.
edit on Sat, 09 Nov 2013 09:57:43 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Personally if I need the nested quote, to make context, I pull it out and post it in it's own quote below who I'm responding to.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

yeah you can pull it apart like this:

Didn't feel like adding in the names. It is a lot more manual editing needed, kind of sucks for people not all that skilled in coding.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

I suspect this feature was introduced because the pleas for us not to nest quotes excessively were not working.
Too many people were lazily clicking on "quote" instead of reply, even over a long exchange, without bothering to delete anything.
It seems that a second "quote" without an intervening "unquote" brings an automatic block.
In case of real necessity, I use quotation marks instead.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Oh was that a big issue before the change? That would make sense lol.

top topics

join