It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice: Exercising throughout the day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Ive been trying to do some research on this but half of the sites I visit say one thing and the other half say the other.
First off im specifically talking about High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This type of exercise is where you go all out for say 30 seconds and then rest for 30 seconds (or until you catch your breath) and repeat. It is said to greatly increase the amount of calories burned because the constant change of pace raises your metabolism for awhile after the workout.

Im trying to get back in shape (looking to lose 15-20 pounds) before I continue weight lifting. What im wondering is if it would be equally or more beneficial to exercise throughout the day rather than all at once?
Not only would it be easier for me to do 2-3 10-15 minute HIIT running sessions but in my mind it may also keep your metabolism going faster throughout the day, as HIIT is said to last for a few hours after exercising.
Ive also wondered if it would be worth it to get up and do a few minutes of HIIT in place every hour or two while im home in addition to the 2-3 sessions.

Thinking about trying this out rather than doing the 30 minute once a day session. Any opinions?
edit on 31-10-2013 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tehdouglas

Many people and myself do the 1-2 hrs training (and about 25 min HIIT on treadmill) but if you have all the time n the world, sure you can do it every couple of hrs or something like that.

Just watch out for muscle loss, you don't want that.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

The body needs rest so it can repair. High intensity workout is effective exactly because it keeps burning calories for a longer time period. If you allow time for repair, the next day high intensity workout would be more effective, since it starts anew burning the calories. If you did not give it the time, it is likely the confusion in muscle memory would impede the effectiveness of calorie burning because the body would be more "worried" in repairing wear and tear.
Just my twocents.
Goodspeed.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

If I could comment on the weight loss aspect, I would recommend an Atkins type diet.

Cut out as many carbohydrates as humanly possible. Try to limit your food intake to protein and vegetables.

Very effective if youre able to stay disciplined.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Diet is crucial, not fad diets but just monitoring how much you eat, how often and what you eat. Almost any web site can give you a crash course on nutrition, make sure you change your diet or your efforts will not be as effect as you like.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It's mostly diet, that effects the weight then the workout. I suggest you watch Elliot Hulse. He's a strength coach, and gives great advice on his channel. Check this video out. www.youtube.com...
edit on 9-11-2013 by DeniesEGO because: (no reason given)

top topics

join