It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bigfoot in Maine? 10-foot-tall ‘wild man’ was killed in 1886, newspapers reported

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

WATERVILLE, Maine — In the same month the Statue of Liberty was dedicated in New York in 1886, a handful of newspapers in New England published stories about a deadly encounter in the Maine woods involving what today likely would be termed “Bigfoot” or “Sasquatch.”

Bigfoot in Maine? 10-foot-tall ‘wild man’ was killed in 1886, newspapers reported

Bigfoot killed a man in maine according to this article.I believe its true since theres so much is unkown and new animals are even being discovered, this planet is so vast and majestic, who knows whats out there.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by breadinspector

Has anybody ever heard that story about this guy that was out in woods way back in day and said some giant beast came up and grabbed his chewing tobacco and tried eating it only to start gagging. Anyone know that story or have any links to it's origin?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

That sounds like the Albert Ostman story...
Albert Ostman Wikipedia

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Bangor Maine huh? I wonder if Steven King has anything to do with this story. He is probably starting a cheesy novel or screen play right now.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

When the story is so lacking in details that they don't even mention the name of the person involved, it doesn't have much credibility. That makes it more like a published myth than a news article, which a small local rag like that could get away with publishing, I suppose.

Of course even better than the name of the man involved would be the body of the creature and what became of it, which nobody seems to know. I used to believe more bigfoot stories when I was younger before I found out about all the hoaxing.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Unfortunately stories like this were invented to sell papers. Did it happen? Who knows. Interesting read tho. S&f.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Listen up ! ( I learned that here on ATS !)
I think it's important we stamp these silly ideas out.
Never mind that there are "Bigfeet" all around the world, and stories going back to antiquity ...
Ignorance is Strength.
If people get open-minded enough to accept even the possibility of this stuff, then who knows where it might end ?
I mean, -- I'd like to try skiing, but it's a slippery slope......
Steady now.

mistersmith.
edit on 29-10-2013 by mistersmith because: rogue emoticon extracted, taken outside, and shot.

edit on 29-10-2013 by mistersmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Bigfoot may be out there, but this report is most likely a lot of hot air.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Shouldn't this be in the Cryptozoology section?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

ATS allows posting the same topic in both the breaking alternative news, and one other forum and in this case that would be the other forum. In this case I suppose the "breaking news" is questionable since the event happened so long ago, but there is a recent news article about an old rag story so maybe that counts. So you can post it there also if you want,if it's not already posted.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
If it IS true, then it's a shame they had to kill him. He would have been a valuable addition to our knowledge of the human race.

Leave it to us to kill everything that moves.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LosPollos

LosPollos
Bigfoot may be out there, but this report is most likely a lot of hot air.

why? because you say so ...ok nothing to see here.
why are people so quick to blow these stories off without even looking at the evidence? someday this species will be discovered by the people that tell us what to think.
meanwhile there are alot. of people that already "know" this is a real being,and realy dont give a F$%^ if scientists believe them or not.
just look into china's panda for example

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

paradiselost333
why are people so quick to blow these stories off without even looking at the evidence?
What evidence?

I don't see any in this story. It's even worse than no evidence.

It's not even a decent story, since the names of the people involved aren't even mentioned.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

OrphanApology

Has anybody ever heard that story about this guy that was out in woods way back in day and said some giant beast came up and grabbed his chewing tobacco and tried eating it only to start gagging. Anyone know that story or have any links to it's origin?

That made me spit out my coke haha...I know you are being serious but I can't stop laughing at that...I had never heard that story!

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

That article was probably good old fashioned propaganda.
Gotta get the idea of it being real in the minds of people sometime, right?
I wonder how much money has been made off of Bigfoot memorabilia, etc.?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Having a hard time imagining someone killing a Sasquatch and not at least cutting off a foot, the head, something. Especially back then. Also, if someone was killed, wouldn't there be reports of that? That would seem like something that could be verified. Someone would have to be at least missing...

I'm going to give a TL;DR

A guy said one of his friends was found dead. He was apparently murdered while guy and other guy left him alone. After finding body, posse formed. Found tall hairy guy and shot it. No proof. No names. Hope some moron believes this 100 years from now. LOL in old timey speak.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

mistersmith
Listen up ! ( I learned that here on ATS !)
I think it's important we stamp these silly ideas out.
Never mind that there are "Bigfeet" all around the world, and stories going back to antiquity ...
Ignorance is Strength.
If people get open-minded enough to accept even the possibility of this stuff, then who knows where it might end ?
I mean, -- I'd like to try skiing, but it's a slippery slope......
Steady now.

mistersmith.
edit on 29-10-2013 by mistersmith because: rogue emoticon extracted, taken outside, and shot.

edit on 29-10-2013 by mistersmith because: (no reason given)

Well there is water skiing.

You could try that if you like.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

The details of the witness are still a little sketchy, but piecing together some key evidence, it would appear the witness was Canadian, or just an affrighted Frenchman from across the line. I'm not sure if that's enough to conclude the witness was Canadian, I may just be speculating and jumping to conclusions, basing this on the assumption that the Canadian species often speak French, but as to their behavior of being affrighted, we should leave that to the experts.

Do "affrighted" Frenchmen exist across the line, or is that just a legend that they are "affrighted"?

We may never know the answer to that, as the MSM in Maine doesn't want us to know this Cryptid creature that they call affrighted. The MSM was covering up the details in cahoots with the local Illuminati, they don't want you to know exactly what the species was, and how do they even know it was French, did they do DNA tests to prove it was French?

If it walks like an affrighted Frenchman, and quacks like an affrighted Frenchman, then it is an affrighted Frenchman...of the Canadian species. How wild was the affrighted Frenchman, himself?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

OrphanApology

I've read that story before in print.
As I remember it the Sasquatch abducted some dude and took him into his underground lair.
The Sasquatch lived in a family unit. Two adults and two adolescents.
They had culture even, in the sense that they made art. The quatches were very interested in the guy's clothes and hair. And his dip. Every time he would take a pinch of dip they would get very curious.
Eventually he gave the adult male a pinch of dip and it made him ill. Then the rest of the family freaked out and became scared of him. So he left.

The end.

join